Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:13am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kyusho Jitsu

As a general rule, does anyone think it's worth spending time learning the specifics of this as an art?

The instructor at the school I'm currently attending is a big fan, and he encourages us to go to seminars by people like Paul Bowman. Are these likely to be doused in BS (probably more a question of UK-based posters)?

I suppose my basic point is that I'd be quite interested in trying to improve my general knowledge of pressure points and things like angle/direction of striking them, but I'm not particularly interested in wasting my time/money on chi-balls or any of that BS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:22am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it a miss, it's bullshit.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:24am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reliance on pain as a means of control is ultimately flawed.

You cannot guarantee that you can hit a small moving point precisely and hard enough to do the job it's supposed to.

People have differing levels of pain tolerance, adrenalin dumps, tenacity of their intentions, experience of fighting, the list does on.

If you're using a pressure point tactic on a drug/alcohol induced individual, it will likely fail. I've pressure tested this sort of stuff during my time as Prison Officer and never found it was workable on anyone other than the less determined or weaker individuals. And then it was pretty pointless doing so
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:37am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which school do you train at?

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Give it a miss, it's bullshit.
    That's kind of my gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    If you're using a pressure point tactic on a drug/alcohol induced individual, it will likely fail. I've pressure tested this sort of stuff during my time as Prison Officer and never found it was workable on anyone other than the less determined or weaker individuals. And then it was pretty pointless doing so
    Fair points, cheers.

I'm naturally very sceptical when people start talking about "hidden secrets within the kata" etc, and most of what they talk about does seem to be kyusho-based - closing off meridians in certain stances, and other stuff that sound suspiciously like bunkum. Having said that, quite a few of the katas do seem to concentrate on PP striking.

There's a Bowman seminar next weekend. I have no other plans and a lift there if I want it. Hmmm. I might just give it a blast out of morbid/stupid curiosity. If I do I'll write it up in here.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    As a general rule, does anyone think it's worth spending time learning the specifics of this as an art?

The instructor at the school I'm currently attending is a big fan, and he encourages us to go to seminars by people like Paul Bowman. Are these likely to be doused in BS (probably more a question of UK-based posters)?

I suppose my basic point is that I'd be quite interested in trying to improve my general knowledge of pressure points and things like angle/direction of striking them, but I'm not particularly interested in wasting my time/money on chi-balls or any of that BS.
    The technique forums are for discussing or asking questions about specific martial techniques. General questions belong in YMAS, the forum where I moved this thread.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which school do you train at?
    http://okinawankaratenottingham.co.uk/

Moved to Nottingham for work in the new year and this was the closest place to where I was (and still am) lodging. Thoroughly enjoyed it to be fair.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 11:39am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been drinking and I have decided to tell an anecdote concerning pressure points, please dont kill me.

I went through a military course of instruction when I became an MP in how to take supsects down fast and with the least amount of damage. Of course it was all bullshit, but this was prior to me training anything realistic so this **** was awesome to me. We did a bunch of pressure points and the one we all believe to be unstoppable was the dreaded "c clamp" which was your thump on the subjects mastoid process and your pointer finger on his upper lip.
    At the end of the course we sparred. One person was the cop, the other was the suspect. The goal was to put the suspect on his stomach and cuff him. I sparred another MP and got him on his stomach but couldnt grab his arms to cuff him so I 'C-clamped' the **** out of him. He ended up bleeding out of his nose profusely and yelled a bit, but never gave me his arms to cuff him.
    That is the most painful pressure point I have ever been shown and it didnt do anything to control this person, just pissed him off. If his goal wasnt to just "avoid arrest" but to **** me up I doubt I wouldve even had the opportunity to apply it, and even if I did it probably wouldve just incited more rage and made the fight more difficult.
    My two cents on pressure points.sorry to waste most of you guys' time.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    http://okinawankaratenottingham.co.uk/

Moved to Nottingham for work in the new year and this was the closest place to where I was (and still am) lodging. Thoroughly enjoyed it to be fair.
    So are you tied into a monthly contract for your training ? I see the website offers a "30 day free trial"

Does you teacher operate from a permanent dojo ?

Some of our more experience Judoka will confirm this however, I've sure a red and white blocked belt is only legitimately worn in Judo - but I might be wrong

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So are you tied into a monthly contract for your training ? I see the website offers a "30 day free trial"
    I pay monthly, yes. Not sure about anyone else in the school but I'd assume most would do the same.

Does you teacher operate from a permanent dojo ?
    No, the classes are in a couple of shared halls. I've seen a Shotokan crowd and a Muslim prayer group around the times when we're in there.

Some of our more experience Judoka will confirm this however, I've sure a red and white blocked belt is only legitimately worn in Judo - but I might be wrong
    I think (and I may too be wrong) that the red and white blocked is for 8th dan and upwards in Shorinkan Shorin Ryu. Although it might be 6th.

As an aside, who decides whether something is "legitimate" or not?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast