Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 3:49pm

Style: MantisShrimpFu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Holding Mount vs Going with the Flow.

While at the LA Area McThrowdown, Omega showed me a drill based on Aikido principles. Here's what you do: you have full mount and the guy on the bottom is shimping and bucking trying to escape rather than trying to hold the mount you use his force to guide you into other dominating positing like side control, then when the bottom guy tries to escape those positions you again use the force move back into full mount or north-south...etc.

I liked the idea but I have read on this site and other grappling sites like subfighter.com that some people prefer to drill keeping the mount or try a different kinds of full mounts like a Bully-mount or S-mount.

Which approach do you folks prefer and why? Please debate and let the flaming begin.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 4:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if both people are guys, then this thread is already flaming!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we practice switching pins all the time, basicly when i fight i like to hold the pin if i am a bigger guy but if they are stronger/better than me i try to keep switching to keep them one step behind.

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going for bully mount (the "ideal" Judo mount) usually gets me tossed off because I'm clumsy with it. I prefer to post on all fours as they bridge, letting them turn over and giving me back mount. I'm much better at holding that with my weird Bustamante-esque spider limbs.

game dog

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course, the optimum is to let his force guide you into an armbar... even as he rolls you over. Works mostly on newbies.

Other than that, I'm very hesitant to give up mount. Which is funny, because my submissions from mount are not that hot, and forcing an armbar or choke on someone who defends well is hard work. As far as different versions of mount are concerned, I switch between high mount and grapevines as needed.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

~

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 5:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like baiting people into a bridge and then sitting on their side, which makes armbars and backmount really easy. Then again i not that good at holding mount, which is why a lto fo times i will do it jsut for the practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I love the mount. (I love mounting people? Man that sounds bad) I am able to get submissions better in the mount than any other position and I think it also gives you by far the best ground and pound position. Unless the opponent is significantly larger and/or better than you are the mount is still going to give you the most control of him aside from the rear mount, which is hard to get to if your fighting someone skilled. I really wouldn't give up the mount position unless I absolutely had to.

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 5:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the person I'm fighting, if they are passive and/or not an explosive fighter I usually will use mount to hunt subs, but if they are more explosive/powerful I usually will flow from position to position letting them tire themselves out trying to thash around/benchpress, etc., and if they are lets say a powerlifter/bodybuilder with alot of bulk but not much else, i.e. skill, it's always fun to egg them on into thrashing by wispering in there ear in the most flamboyant voice you can muster "OH, you're so strong, I wish I was as stroooooooong and musclely as you!!!"- this always works.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it depends on your body type as much as anything else. I'm too small to really lock anyone down, so I have to float into different positions and look to snatch submissions as in transit. A lot of the really big guys I know CAN hold mount pretty much indefinitely, so they do. It's all very dependent upon the situation.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 9:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's "flow with the go", get it right you goddamn newbie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast