Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NADA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do I know if a school is good or not?

I've been going to this school for the past month, and it seems pretty cool. The students have been going for multiple years, the Sifu only accepts new students in the fall, and only takes 6 or so, and works with them himself. I have not been able to find any reviews online about the school. So how do I know?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:00am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does your school have a website ?

What style do you study ?

What's your teacher's lineage ?

What grade does your Teacher claim to have ?

How much does the school charge for fees ?

Are you tied into a contract ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What training methods do you use?

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the web site ...
    http://www.kung-fu4theseriousmind.com/
    No contract, school is cheap, 45/month, I have no experience in martial arts. Sorry for the absentminded post, but I'm really tired, and can't really think too well.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as training methods, Sifu says no sparing in class, but he claims that when they compete in tournaments, they usually win. He says that Kung Fu is not a sport and that his students need to tone it down like %80 for tournaments.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 2:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that's a huge red flag

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 2:03am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foo4u2 View Post
    As far as training methods, Sifu says no sparing in class, but he claims that when they compete in tournaments, they usually win. He says that Kung Fu is not a sport and that his students need to tone it down like %80 for tournaments.
    Uh, that is a pretty suspect statement. All good combat arts can be trained and fought in tournaments at pretty close to 100%.

Look, the school appears to not be a McDojo (just there to steal your money) but uh...Kung-Fu sucks. I'm sorry, it just does. As a fighting art. If you're enjoying yourself and you like the school, stay there. But be perhaps aware that you aren't going to be a great fighter because of it.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 2:09am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the school is good or not depends on what you are looking for. Do you want something fun to train that will give you a little exercise? Do you want an art for it's historic value?

If you enjoy your school and are perfectly happy there fine, accept that as the reason you train there regardless of authenticity or fighting ability. If you are looking for a school that will teach you how to fight this school may be okay but there are certainly other schools and styles that will teach fighting in a less round about way. I don't know much about CMA personally so i'll let the CMA guys chime in on the art's authenticity.

The page for the style seems to have a snobbish view of sport fighting. I've noticed many schools have this attitude and claim that they train for deeper more philosophical reasons. The only problem is the philosophy a given school teaches is not necessarily based on scholarly research. If you want philosophy go to college and take a class. The instructor claims many competition trophies and victories but doesn't state the kind of competitions, are they forms? Breaking? Point sparring? No holds barred? The same goes for student competition wins.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 2:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright ... So who wants to find me the best school within one hour and 15 minutes of sycamore, Il :) hahahahaha, buy seriously ... anyone?

FYI I would like to practice the "art" forms of Kung Fu, but I would also like to learn some practical self defense.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/11/2011 5:04am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    but uh...Kung-Fu sucks. I'm sorry, it just does. As a fighting art. If you're enjoying yourself and you like the school, stay there. But be perhaps aware that you aren't going to be a great fighter because of it.
    Chinese Martial Arts can work fine when they're taught with hard sparring. Go and look at the full contact CMA thread and then only consider training at CMA schools that do things like that.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast