Our Sponsors:

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just found an interesting video on this topic, these guys are trying to apply throws, disarms and submissions taught in aikido on a fully resisting opponent, armed with knife:

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 7:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
    Uh... in the second post in this thread? ..//.. So I'm kind of surprised that you cited Yoshinkan as being accepted as more alive.
    Well, yeah actually, more alive than aikikai and just about everything else but it's still compliant at best.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 7:07pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    I just found an interesting video on this topic, these guys are trying to apply throws, disarms and submissions taught in aikido on a fully resisting opponent, armed with knife:

Chris Hein et al.. I credit him and those around him in that respect but I don't agree with some of his opinions on the purpose of aikido as a weapon retention art.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 8:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Chris Hein et al.. I credit him and those around him in that respect but I don't agree with some of his opinions on the purpose of aikido as a weapon retention art.
    To be honest, I don't know anything about him, I just stumbled across this video doing some web research on the topic of this thread.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He and I have crossed words in the past over the origins of aikido as a weapons discipline.

As I say, I give him props for trying to make aikido work on resisting uke however, the nature of what aikido *is* one might as well study something which doesn't need all of the reverse engineering to make it work.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at this sort of knife training, I think by "resistance" not only force but technique needs to be accounted for. I think we can all agree it's fairly trivial to carve someone up and yet these uke would make it look like being armed is a disadvantage. To the casual observer, it would seem crucial to have more than a passing familiarity with the weapons one attempts to counter UNARMED.

I believe the challenge for Aikido and to some extent every MA is to progress. It seems like the dynasties and Shogunates under which so many MA were introduced, they start out with a bang and slowly decline. Like Rock Ape says, there's no need to reinvent the wheel; we have a potent and proven tool in the Scientific Method. It's what made Judo great, and some Aikidoka seem to realize that. Yet even Judo, though still at it's core a model MA, cannot be said to have surpassed what Kano taught in its present state. It blows my mind that nobody* is willing to take advantage of the resources available to us and investigate the further development of their MA. In my opinion, this is the real test of a martial artist; not character development or trophies or anything but what they actually bring to the table.

*Well, very few people.
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 11/08/2011 1:52pm at .
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415