Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gunsmithing and customization references?

Sorry if this question is stupid or has been answered before, but I know nothing about guns, and didnt find anything with the search functions.

I am an amateur game designer, and I am looking for reliable references of homemade/improved weapons. As well as customizations that can be done in a small workshop by a skilled person, preferably things that are hard to produce en-masse(if any).

I did find some information on gun customization and home gunsmithing, but I I am not confident enough to judge if a site is reliable or not

Would anyone here be willing to point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 8:18am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullKing View Post
    Sorry if this question is stupid or has been answered before, but I know nothing about guns, and didnt find anything with the search functions.

I am an amateur game designer, and I am looking for reliable references of homemade/improved weapons. As well as customizations that can be done in a small workshop by a skilled person, preferably things that are hard to produce en-masse(if any).

I did find some information on gun customization and home gunsmithing, but I I am not confident enough to judge if a site is reliable or not

Would anyone here be willing to point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your time
    Try the High Road forums. Here is good, but folks there are deep into that kind of thing.

http://www.thehighroad.org/
    Last edited by Killbot; 10/08/2011 8:21am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SkullKing,

What types of customization are you considering?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 2:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Killbot: thank you, will take a look.

@ Hungry Joe

Attachments that could be mad in a small workshop with the right tools by a skilled person.for things like this ones:
    http://intel-central.com/agents/wp-c...mod-poster.jpg

Any significant improvements that can be made to a weapon that are not for cosmetic purpouses.

Crude but usefull ones also help(i.e.:Could I duct tape a flashlight to a weapon, and have a usefull flashlight attachment, Or would that harm the balance of the weapon, reduce acuracity?)

Essentially anything that is actually usefull and can be made in a small workshop.

I

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 6:40pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been customizing my IPSC/USPSA pistols for quite a while now as well as my precision rifles and several other firearms. I am also a tinkerer with paintball guns and air cannons(tater guns). Customizing is only limited by a few things: the platform(the gun itself), money, science, and the LAW.

Common mods to firearms are: automatic conversions, short-barreled rifle conversions, shotgun to pistol conversion, caliber changes, optics changes, milling of different components(lightening the firearm is common), addition of various lights, lasers, handles, grips, breaching devises, trigger pull adjustment,, etc. Most are limited by funding more than any other reason.

As far as homebuild items andnot customizations, you have to option of building air cannons, combustion cannons, various explosives(some simple, some far more complex and all EXTREMELY dangerous),.....

Many people tinker with stuff, check out forums that deal with firearms that are cheap. Firearms like the Ruger 10/22, Mosin Nagant, SKS, are all cheap and have had plenty of different mods done to them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 7:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes it does.

It is stupidly obvious now, but i didnt even think about the legal aspect of it. Things that are doable but illegal due to danger are probably things that would be useful to me, but I never even thought of looking for something like that.

Thanks
    Last edited by SkullKing; 10/08/2011 7:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 8:11pm

Style: Arnis Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plenty of people home build ARs, and more and more are building AKs from receiver flats.
    Search "WTF guns" "homemade firearms" and you'll get more images than you would believe.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are Brazil's laws on suppressors?

Good start if they're legal without special licensing.

You should know that if you're able, the only way to really suppress is with addition of subsonic ammunition.

Trigger work is another area, but you need to know what you're doing to prevent accidental firing or cooking off of magazine.

Are you a machinist? You mention a workshop. What tools and/or machines do you have available for your projects?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, no, I am very far from a machinist,.

I am not constructing anything. But I am an amateur Game designer, and I am needing this references for a project I am in.

besides game mechanics, we have some very good modelers in our team, and I will need to give them some references for them, So I am doing some research.

This project Specifically: http://www.moddb.com/mods/earth-2015...ns108#imagebox, if you scroll for the right you will see some of the models they made.