Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 12:28pm

Style: JKD, MT, G.H Bagpipes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Lau Gar "wars"

Right folks, I'm conscious of the fine line I'm treading with this one.....
    Before I get the bodyarmour and helmet out the car for any incoming or unhelpful replies, I want to say I post this with respect to all the old school LG's I read of, who perhaps come on here,and out of curiousity as an ex JKD McDojo goer who is familiar with MA political arguments/associations and the pointlesness of it. I don't want to stir anything up, or get the replies "use search", "refer to MAP". I have done so and read most of what's there on the subject already but some content has been deleted and most current LG would rather avoid the subject altogether which is the right attitude to it if am honest.

I want to give LG a try under Dave Baptist who I know is affiliated with IAKSA, and I gather that it is heavily KB based and the LG syllabus comes later, correct me if I'm wrong there. My reason for the choice is LG have a legacy of producing excellent UK fighters going back decades and basically I just want to give it a go,along with other stuff,as something different to the Boxing I do, but with an interest in CMA, it gives some of that as well later on. I'm not bothered about the lineage theories as yet, or BKFA/etc etc thing at all personally, but the whole origins of the split still interest me, as it seems there are several different affiliations going around, and it's a bit confusing when all I want to do is ask people of their experiences of the style.

Does a worded account of the background to the split exist online, if so where could I read it? Or if there is anyone in particular happy to debrief me on it, even better. Sure I'm not the only person who's been ignorant about this, but I'd like the knowledge just as a MA geek.

Cheers, out!

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 12:32pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *blank look.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Expressions of confussion or boredom are definately welcome!

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've already read about it on MAP, you likely know much more than most of the regular posters here do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 1:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishsoldier View Post
    Expressions of confussion or boredom are definately welcome!
    Confusion; I have no idea why you would want to know this. Most Lau Gar history is lost to rumor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 1:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    If you've already read about it on MAP, you likely know much more than most of the regular posters here do.
    fair enough

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UK Lau Gar is a creole of modern kickboxing and some kind of 'southern shaolin'-flavoured form-based CMA which was probably invented by Jeremy Yau in the mid-late 20th century, in the UK. They produced a lot of successes in the UK semi-contact circuit in the 80s and early 90s.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Lau Gar style whose forms are preserved by some Hung Gar schools.
    Last edited by Cullion; 10/16/2011 3:49pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2011 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My understanding #anecdotal only# is that LauGar is/was one of the so called 5 family styles famous in southern china. (Choy, Mok, Hung, Li, Lau).
    As Cullion says above, the Lau Gar style headed by Jeremy Yau was a producer of kickboxers who also did forms practice, from my hazy memory of video footage of those they were sort of hybridized HungGar forms, ie: the start of the form was 'I character' fist which then wandered into 'fu hok' i even remember some bagua being tacked on.
    There is a discussion here: http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43818 if you haven't already checked it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    My understanding #anecdotal only# is that LauGar is/was one of the so called 5 family styles famous in southern china. (Choy, Mok, Hung, Li, Lau).
    As Cullion says above, the Lau Gar style headed by Jeremy Yau was a producer of kickboxers who also did forms practice, from my hazy memory of video footage of those they were sort of hybridized HungGar forms, ie: the start of the form was 'I character' fist which then wandered into 'fu hok' i even remember some bagua being tacked on.
    There is a discussion here: http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43818 if you haven't already checked it out.
    Cheers for the link it provided the background i was after. So the big split was over lineage. Are there any styles out there untouched by politics? Wish we could get some Sanshou in Scotland.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 1:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast