Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 8:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    Damn, that was a big go-rilla. That fella he grabbed was going good not be screaming and crying for his mother.
    Good thing all that 1930s stuff about "man-eating gorillas" was BS. Typical-size silverback issuing what is gorilla for "polite territorial warning"--which is why the cameraman looked more annoyed than sacred. He's probably used to them.

Chimps, being hunters--unlike gorillas--can be downright nasty. The male average size of 200 pounds hasn't changed (they just look smaller because of bowed legs). However, estimates of their strength have recently been downgraded. Instead of the "five-times-a-human-of-the-same-weight" claims made decades ago, chimps have--when tested more reliably--been found to possess only two-and-a-half to three times the strength of a human of the same lean weight.

'Only' that much more...and that's inborn strength. No training required.

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 10:13am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gorillas are very intelligent, peaceful and gentle primates who only behave dangerously when threatened as in this case.

They are better people than we are
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 9:54am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silverbacks are not known for outright violence (like Chimps) from what I have heard. They are more into territorial display. All the same that was one big gorilla.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 10:50am

Style: judo, -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Reading Chasing the Devil by Tim Butcher he talked about how a bunch of escaped Orangutangs caught up with some people and set about one of them, they bit his fingers off, tore off his genitals and wrecked his face.

It seems that primates have quite a penchant and ability to target the most vulnerable and sensitive parts of the human body and inflict massive damage.
    That is also a strategy of hyenas. A few distract the pray from the front, while one creeps in from behind and bites off its genitals.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have nightmares about it forever if that gorilla ever single legged me like that...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 11:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Good thing all that 1930s stuff about "man-eating gorillas" was BS. Typical-size silverback issuing what is gorilla for "polite territorial warning"--which is why the cameraman looked more annoyed than sacred. He's probably used to them.

Chimps, being hunters--unlike gorillas--can be downright nasty. The male average size of 200 pounds hasn't changed (they just look smaller because of bowed legs). However, estimates of their strength have recently been downgraded. Instead of the "five-times-a-human-of-the-same-weight" claims made decades ago, chimps have--when tested more reliably--been found to possess only two-and-a-half to three times the strength of a human of the same lean weight.

'Only' that much more...and that's inborn strength. No training required.
    So, since I can press 2 to 3 times what an average dude can, I'll be okay in a fight with a chimp. Cool

( I forgot to mention DERP. It's a self-derp though )

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    So, since I can press 2 to 3 times what an average dude can, I'll be okay in a bench press contest with a chimp. Cool
    fixed

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People with an understanding of gorilla behavior recognize that for what it is, but it would still be terrifying.
    Those Silverbacks are fucking strong.
    One of the most horrible scenes I've watched in a movie is one from Instinct. Anthony Hopkins plays an anthropologist who has literally ' gone back to the jungle' and gained the trust of a gorilla clan to the point where he can sit among them and even care for their young. Then these asshole corrupt ' forest rangers ' come along to do some poaching. Hopkins starts fighting with them to create a diversion so the gorillas can get away and is getting beaten with rifle butts. Then, the extent to which he has been accepted by the gorillas is shown when the lone Silverback charges out of the brush to defend him. Of course, he gets shot..and Hopkins' character has his head jammed under one of the killer's boots and held firmly in place so he can watch the animal die.
    Its a very sad scene.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123