Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 10:16am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Planted heels

In traditional shotokan, I've always been taught that during kihon the heel of the back foot must be planted for optimal power generation, and transfer of power from the ground up. Having been training for 10 years, I've drank the proverbial kool-aid, but I've always been skeptical. In the video, Yahara Sensei, emphasizes the concept of thrusting through the heel to allow for full hip rotation.

Is there any validity to this? By doing this, I definitely get a better leg workout, but I can do squats and lunges to get that. Does my ability to generate power benefit from this kind of "kinetic linking?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 10:26am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kinetic linking exists, but is more present in a boxers bunch than a Karateka's.
    Lunge punching like that is like putting the e-brake on when trying to take off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Kinetic linking exists, but is more present in a boxers bunch than a Karateka's.
    Lunge punching like that is like putting the e-brake on when trying to take off.
    That's what I always thought. For the record, I didn't put kinetic linking in quotes out of disbelief in its existence, it was more for illustrative purposes of disbelief in the heel down being an accurate descriptor for kinetic linking.

Anyway, would you say that thrusting from the ball of the foot and full follow through would be a better example of kinetic linking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 10:43am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kdawgious View Post
    That's what I always thought. For the record, I didn't put kinetic linking in quotes out of disbelief in its existence, it was more for illustrative purposes of disbelief in the heel down being an accurate descriptor for kinetic linking.

Anyway, would you say that thrusting from the ball of the foot and full follow through would be a better example of kinetic linking?
    Entirely so. Placing the heel down actually prevents force generation in the back leg.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 11:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, he is punching correctly for maximum power and structure from a STATIC position. Unfortunately that is a wholly unrealistic way to punch in an actual fight. The heel up cross is used because it is a strike based on weight transfer. You move your whole body toward the target and need to be able to move around and stay mobile.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 8:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so he's punching from a static position, and the heel down is optimal for creating power there? What about when moving forward, typical oi-zuki or gyaku-zuki in zenkutsu-dachi. He advocates a similar principle as a means for generating greater power. Would this still be considering a static situation? In terms of kumite, fuller rotation with the heel raised would be more practical, correct?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't you losing half your range if you punch like that?

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 8:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. People that actually fight a lot never keep the rear heel down. The only time I've felt a difference is doing exactly what he is doing. Staying still and hitting an object that isn't gong to move. You can't even really hit a bag that way because it moves so much more than a makiwara. If you have a bag and a makiwara you can feel the same thing. Assuming you know how to hit both ways. You feel like a stud when you hit a makiwara that way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 8:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Yes. People that actually fight a lot never keep the rear heel down. The only time I've felt a difference is doing exactly what he is doing. Staying still and hitting an object that isn't gong to move. You can't even really hit a bag that way because it moves so much more than a makiwara. If you have a bag and a makiwara you can feel the same thing. Assuming you know how to hit both ways. You feel like a stud when you hit a makiwara that way.
    I know that, personally, I've tried punching like that on a heavy bag...it's a strange experience because it's a completely different feedback mechanism. So I stopped, and work on free flowing drills with the bag. It feels the exact opposite on the makiwara, hit it with the heel up and I feel the impact straight through my arm, push that heel back and my shoulder eats less of the impact.

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! So then what is the question? It only took me hitting a makiwara to understand where this idea came from.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast