Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The American translation of SamHarber is - "one who buries fist in own ass up to the elbow"
    How I wish I had that degree of flexibility.

"Not in the face!"
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I dont ever want to eneter the UFC- so who gives a **** about grappling. TKD keeps me fit flexible and I now know how to throw a good punch, kick, block and release from common holds- it is good enough for me. Who wants to get their nose broken anyway. I am not a soldier, this is just a hobby of mine- and unless you guys are all instructors or living in feudal japan, then it is for you as well. I hear lots of people talking about the level of contact but it teaches TKD teaches to hit strong and accurately. Just because we choose not to lump chunks out of eachother in training doesnt mean you couldnt do it in real life-- " you fight how you train" I hear you all say but how many of these arm locks that you spend all your BJJ time doing have you broken someones arm with. Maybe a couple, probably none- say that ' I know that it works' but i know that if I front kicked someone in the solar plexis they would go down like a sack of ****. Remember, We are not all into MA for the same reasons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 10:57pm

Style: TKD, soon BJJ JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agre not everyone who plays golf has the ability or desire to be a pro golfer. we all have your reasons fo r doing the martial arts.

Today impossible, Tomarrow Possible
    Grand Master H.U. Lee

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 11:47pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sillitoechris, the point is you

You have learned a few set, unresponsive techiniques. You don't know how to flow from range to range (and if you dismiss grappling, I'd like to fight you -- once I had you down you'd never get back up without help).

I'm not dissing the art from a distance: I was a ATA/WTTU black belt with over 5 years of training. Every single thing about my technique and ability is 500% better now that I'm in PFS JKDC/BJJ; after 6 months my sidekick was better than it was during my BB test.

No, MA is not my hobby -- my hobby is baking and cooking. MA is my LIFE; everything else I do is just my way of surviving in the real world till I can get back to the gym.

A real warrior would understand that...

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/23/2002 1:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saying that "you fight how you train" applies to non-contact sparring the same as it does to grappling is bull crap. Pull the joint another degree and its broken. Getting to the submission is exactly the same as it would be otherwise. Once you start applying its not much of a difference between pulling all the way and stopping yourself.

For striking its different. You're going to have to go full contact, full tilt, with pads ofcourse, to learn and get experience. Pre-set stuff can't teach you how to initiate and react, and create openings instead of forcing yourself. And Point-sparring is about as applicable to fighting as the classroom part of drivers ed is to driving.

You have to DO something to get good at it. You can grapple and put the submission in but not crank it fully. If you are striking you can't pull your punches and not make contact, thats very different. Initially you're not going to go valetudo in a ring, but you have to do some full-contact if you don't want to get reamed.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2002 2:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's crap. You learn how to hit hard by training your muscles and by hitting a heavy bag. It's easy enough to train your mind to follow through. You visualize your opponent when you hit the bag and you feel the rage build up in your mind and heart. Then when you fight them it comes out and you have no problem hitting hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2002 4:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually bjj most TKD styleist's have guts and plenty of them. Take a look at the mt v.s. tkd vid there you see a green ( and I mean the expression not belt)tkder go against a veteran mt fighter the tkder probably knew he was gona lose but took on the guy anyway. While some of the gracies on the other hand would avoid fights if they thought they could lose. so don't try talking to me about guts. And jkdchic I've never seen or heard of the organizations ever think it was possible that you went to a mcdojo miss conan the barbarian? and your right point sparring isn't applicable but were not taking karate were taking TKD. Bjj answer my question why do think TKD sucks? and don't give me the traditional grappler response of no grappling because 1 a good tkd school will teach judo maneuvers not a whole lot mainly to get you distace wich seems logical if your specialty is kicking. and don't give me not enough low kicking because the nature of tkd kicks allow you to aim low mid or high and trust me no matter what anyone tells you tkders will kick low. So please give me an intelligent answer besides it's gay. and another thing how do you know all this gay terminology anyway? I mean wouldn't you have to be gay yourself to know all the slang?

Pain is weekness leaving the body-USMC

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2002 4:26am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You haven't heard of JKD Concepts? Or Progressive Fighting Systems? Or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? Or the Rickson Gracie Association? Those are my current affiliations and I'm proud of them.

As to the TKD, you claim to be a zealot and you've never heard of the ATA (American TaeKwonDo Association) or the WTTU (World Traditional Tae Kwon Do Union)? I belive the ATA is the largest TKD affiliate in North America, though I might be wrong about that. My instructor was a fifth dan national champion. It was still a McDojo, yes, but it was a McDojo because (drum roll) Tae Kwon Do is a McDojo art through and through.

If you've never heard of these organizations then you are very ignorant and that has no reflection on me.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2002 4:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no actually jkdchic I haven't bothered with jkd because it's founder bruce lee took about 4 years of wingchun got spanked by wong jak man and then made some movies. But I'm sure those awesome techniques from enter the dragon will work great in real life or at least when I'm on a drug lords secret island. And did I ever say any of your new affilations were mcdojo's? no I said ata and wttu. were and yes you are wrong the current biggest tkd organizations are itf and wtf. and please by all means tell me why TKD is mcdojo art through and through or are you to busy watching reruns of the green hornet for your training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2002 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When has a TKD guy ever won anything besides a gold medal in TKD?

I guess now you'll tell me that UFC, Pride, etc. is not a true test of fighting ability since there are rules. Well you can shove that up your ass sideways because it takes far more skill to fight trained fighters under rules than to fight some drunk dumbass on the street.

And if you can't figure out why TKD is a Mc-Dojo art than you're probably too stupid to argue with anyhow.

Basically, my point is.......TKD sucks and you're a fag, prancing ****** boy.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast