TKD

Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJob,

I couldn't get any of those wmv files. I did get some clips from the "fight clips" section though.

* Brad Kohler's one punch KO is a really cool clip. (Its on "McBeatdowns" in the downloads section) Funny how its a lunging cross during which both feet slide along the ground yet he doesn't get knocked on his head as you suggest he would.

* The video of Pete Williams knocking out Mark Coleman is also great. Its EXACTLY how I described a MT round kick to you. In fact he doesn't even pivot at all. His toes are facing forward when the kick lands on Coleman's nose. That's one of the clips I was going to send to you supporting my case. Watch it again in slow motion and you'll see the very obvious whip with no pivot. You'll see his base foot come slig htly off the ground like I said. You'll see a hop.

* Maurice Smith isn't even a Thai fighter. He's a kickboxer with a background in TKD, I think. Even his pivot on the high kick he throws for a KO has a hop in it. (Also on the "McBeatdown" download here in the download section though not as long of a clip as the one on the page you mentioned)

* As for the mpg of Bennett's kick at Superbrawl.. (Also on McBeatdowns though not as long as on the page you mentioned) He takes an angled step forward .. then whips the kick out .. and THEN pivots with a HOP just like I described it to you. (watch it in slow motion) His foot comes slightly off of the mat while it is facing forward and lands facing out just like I said. He doesn't twist his foot while it is plan ted. There is no grounded pivot but instead his weight is hanging above a repositioning foot just as I described it to you. Notice how his kicking leg is flying through the air before the step. He chambers his kick which is totally not good form in Muay T hai but its not bad.

... You really are clueless. Keep looking for clips of McDonald. Maybe you can post him doing it exactly how I described it too. As for you KOing me .. to quote Tito Ortiz in his press conference with Ken Shamrock, "Hahhahahahahahaha!"

Speaking of Tito, download the McBeatdowns highlight video from the McDojo download section and see what Silva does when Tito takes a big (telegraphed) step and pivot for his round kick. Then look at Carlos Newton do it my way in the octagon. Some other guy in blue and white shorts hops with his KO kick (with his knee facing forward) too. Then Frank Shamrock (blue trunks and boots at Pride) does it exactly right three times in a row for you. Then at the end Tito gets it right with a low kick.

Man, you are calling all of those guys faggots.
    *shakes head*

Edited by - 9chambers on November 28 2002 10:18:55

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJob,

I couldn't get any of those wmv files. I did get some clips from the "fight clips" section though.

* Brad Kohler's one punch KO is a really cool clip. (Its on "McBeatdowns" in the downloads section) Funny how its a lunging cross during which both feet slide along the ground yet he doesn't get knocked on his head as you suggest he would.

- Sliding along the ground....not hopping genius

* The video of Pete Williams knocking out Mark Coleman is also great. Its EXACTLY how I described a MT round kick to you. In fact he doesn't even pivot at all. His toes are facing forward when the kick lands on Coleman's nose. That's one of the clips I was going to send to you supporting my case. Watch it again in slow motion and you'll see the very obvious whip with no pivot. You'll see his base foot come slig htly off the ground like I said. You'll see a hop.

- definitely NOT a Thai kick, definitely NOT a hop.....he must have been exhausted nd sloppy at that point, because his hands were down as well.

* Maurice Smith isn't even a Thai fighter. He's a kickboxer with a background in TKD, I think. Even his pivot on the high kick he throws for a KO has a hop in it. (Also on the "McBeatdown" download here in the download section though not as long of a clip as the one on the page you mentioned)

- Again...NO hop, he pivots on the ball of his base foot, like any good kicker does, leaving his weight on that leg.

* As for the mpg of Bennett's kick at Superbrawl.. (Also on McBeatdowns though not as long as on the page you mentioned) He takes an angled step forward .. then whips the kick out .. and THEN pivots with a HOP just like I described it to you. (watch it in slow motion) His foot comes slightly off of the mat while it is facing forward and lands facing out just like I said. He doesn't twist his foot while it is plan ted. There is no grounded pivot but instead his weight is hanging above a repositioning foot just as I described it to you. Notice how his kicking leg is flying through the air before the step. He chambers his kick which is totally not good form in Muay T hai but its not bad.

- Once again......NO HOPPING....do you need glasses? His kicking leg does come out to the side too much.

... You really are clueless. Keep looking for clips of McDonald. Maybe you can post him doing it exactly how I described it too. As for you KOing me .. to quote Tito Ortiz in his press conference with Ken Shamrock, "Hahhahahahahahaha!"

- I've seen McDonald fight many times....he pivots like a pro, doesn't hop like a fairy.

Speaking of Tito, download the McBeatdowns highlight video from the McDojo download section and see what Silva does when Tito takes a big (telegraphed) step and pivot for his round kick. Then look at Carlos Newton do it my way in the octagon. Some other guy in blue and white shorts hops with his KO kick (with his knee facing forward) too. Then Frank Shamrock (blue trunks and boots at Pride) does it exactly right three times in a row for you. Then at the end Tito gets it right with a low kick.

-the Newton kick had no power, it was a set-up for a punch

-Frank was defeintely pivoting, but he certainly isn't the best model for proper kicking anyway...neither is Tito

Man, you are calling all of those guys faggots.
    *shakes head*

- no, I'm only calling you and your TKD cronies faggots.......faggots

Edited by - 9chambers on November 28 2002 10:18:55
    It sucks being wrong, doesn't it 9chambers?

Edited by - I Give BJJs on November 28 2002 17:43:12

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    has anyone other than me notice that i give bjjs and that fag ass balloonknot are the same person? remember when i found out who ballonknot was in real life? (he is just a punk kid from the states named zach) then when i told people balloonknot "retired" and then all of the sudden thiss bjj guy comes in with the same views about tkd? come on people.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 7:06pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm quoting myself her because I don't want this to get lost in the signal-to-noise-ratio around here:

Once again, I am not prejudiced against TKD -- if you're in a proper school, you're learning good stuff no matter what the style. Nor am I speaking out of ignorance: I trained TKD, originally WTF, then ATA/WTTU for five years. I was a black belt. I learned NOTHING USEFUL. Without a doubt, I was in a McDojang; and judging from the level of competition in BC and Canada, there aren't any TKD schools that aren't McDojangs up here.

I admire you guys for being true to your art, in the face of us MMA/BJJ zealots. I'm not being sarcastic -- stay loyal and turn it around from the inside. Make TKD what it was supposed to be.
    I'm sincere in that sentiment. Not everyone does this because they want to be Batman (or Catwoman).

ATAMAN -- I didn't read back far enough to see your question, my apologies. Actually, I'm pissed at myself for taking TKD and thinking it taught me anything. My total, massive ignorance about fighting becomes more clear to me everyday in JKD. The anger over those five wasted years spills over onto TKD itself, sometimes. Attitude problem, yeah, you got that right (rueful grin).

TaeKwonDoRob -- yes, that's exactly what Bruce was trying to do: break the martial arts out of "There is only ONE TRUE WAY" kinds of thinking. He was laughed at, mocked and despised for saying things like "Boxing is one of the best martial arts in history" and adding fencing ideas and techniques to his writings. That's what Jeet Kune Do means, really "Way of the Intercepting Fist" -- or to use the original fencing term "Stop Hit".

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I'm sure we're the only people who think TKD is for fags, therefore we must be the same person.

tkd & fighter.....those are two things that do NOT go together.....try a new name.....tkd prancer maybe?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look bjj, let's have a logical convo here. your right, most tkd-ist's suck horse **** in real fights because they spend so much time on olympic sparring. the olympics were the worst thing that happend to tkd. the only reason they are in their is because all the tkd people wanted "recognition" . the master of the school i go to had phone calls every day asking him about putting tkd in the olympics and he dissagread, but they still did it. tkd would be a great art if it was not bound by those stupid rules. the only thing wrong with it is the way it is practised. then there are the few traditional schools like mine, that fight hard and are not part of this olympic ****. so stop badmouthing all tkd, it's not all bad, except the way olypic places teach it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so how does your place teach it?

"said and done"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 8:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The day I come across a TKD school that laces up the gloves, allows kicks below the waist, kicks with the shin, trains the clinch, and does not do katas.....I'll gladly take back everything I've said.

However, I will NOT take your word for it, or anyone else's on this forum.

Edited by - I Give BJJs on November 28 2002 19:36:19

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well then go ahead and think like that. their are lots of good fighter that don't use the shin. you can have a closed mind all you want, iam not the one who is thinking ingorantly.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/28/2002 9:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything else BJJob said above was very valid.

Now, regarding instep kicks, the reason I personally do not like them is that if I kick hard at all doing them I hurt my ankle. Back when I was doing TKD and that was all I knew about I automatically started kicking with my lower shin. Turns out that you are not supposed to kick hard like that, thats why they snap it back almost like they're snapping. I heard one guy say its a "dishrag kick", because you slap it like you were hitting someone with a dishrag, and thats about as much damage as you can do with one. You get better range with one, but honestly the only place I'd kick with my instep would be to the head, but I might as well control range better, or fake low and go high, and connect to the head with my lower shin.

And if you want to get into comparative anatomy, think of the back of your hand as your instep, your elbow as your knee, and the outside of your forearm with your shin. You can not knuckle kick, obviously, and nobody hits with the back of their hand, they use the knuckles for backhands and spinning backfists. A nice solid bone like a shin or a forearm does a nice job. It may be a bit sensitive, but its a lot more durable than a bundle of small bones like the instep or backhand is. And I'm sure everyone knows what elbows and knees can do by now.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast