Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast

TKD

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 6:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also do Muay Thai and Hapkido, so I can't say that one art is better than the other. My instructor actually told people that it's a good idea to cross train in order to protect yourself. Like I said, it's the artist, not the art. A hardcore TKD dude would kick the crap out of a slack MT fighter(I have yet to see one though). Taking the effective part of each art and using it in your own style is what I try to do. Correct me if I'm wrong(I probably am JKDChick, so I apologize ahead of time) but isn't that what Bruce Lee did?
    TKD gets people comfortable using their legs. But if for one second you think you're gonna break somebody's nose with a high kick to the head, that's just about as stupid as doing a jump kick. Someone once told me that sparring was an advanced form of tag, it barely has anything to do with fighting. I agree completely. I have fun going to tournaments. But keep the Olympic style sparring in the ring. In a real fight, there are no rules, some random guy on the street doesn't call break after a kick to the chest. I give BJJs, would you take a kick in the chest/stomach in order to take a person to the ground? I bet you would, along with all of the other grapplers out there. In closing after my somewhat long reply, if TKD is taught as a self defense then it is a good art. If you want to do Olympic style sparring, go to the WTF. But cross train for god sakes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 6:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no one can catch my shoot with a kick.....MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

suckas

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will take a hit to take some one down.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJ Giver,

>9chambers, you're an idiot, take from
    >a thai-boxer/wrestler/BJJer.

When did you start? Yesterday? You don't even know how to throw a simple MT round kick. I've been cross-training in the martial arts for 20 years. I've been doing all of the things that you have listed there longer than you have. I'm also better at them than you.

>When you sprawl your weight is on your
    >oppenents shoulders, not flying through
    >the air.

Was your coach the history teacher? You don't throw all your weight on him until you have him under you. When you are actually sprawling you are moving your center of gravity beyond his reach .. in other words your weight is in your butt and thighs. You are shooting your weight back away from him. If all your weight is up front you'll get pancaked instead of pressing him down.

>The hip torque in the MT round kick has nothing
    >to do with a hop, the base foot is still pivoting
    >ON THE GROUND.

Bullshit. Don't get your info from watching NHB guys who took up Muay Thai 3 months ago to suppliment their BJJ. Go watch some real pro Muay Thai guys. If you must get your training from watching NHB events then take a look at Vanderlei Silva or Frank Shamrock. They do it right.

For a great MT kicker look up Michael McDonald. He just won the K1 Grand Prix kicking exactly how I described it to you. In other words exactly the opposite of how you are describing it.

>You said yourself to keep your weight on the
    >balls of your feet, that is not in the air,

Really, I thought I said "Stay on the balls of your feet" .. and I thought I said never put your weight on just one leg. I thought I said to keep a natural stride and don't spread your legs too far apart. I never said to plant your feet at any time.

>so your whole theory is shot, sorry
    >man, you know nothing.

I've been doing this for 20 years. I've spent more time in actual full-contact sparring than you've spent breathing. I've beaten guys in actual fights who would have raped you. But if you say so .. I must be an idiot. Because you are the smartest man alive. *taps out*

>"float through the air" HAHAHA, kinda
    >like the fairy that you are?

I said "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee" .. which was a quote from Muhamed Ali. You just called the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time a fairy. Oops, you made yourself look like a complete homo-erotic idiot sausage-hole again. Uhoh.

I'd call more names or make fun of you .. but it would feel like beating up a retard. You keep making yourself look more stupid than I ever could.

Go argue with somebody dumber.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what I said was that im wasnt interested in doing UFC and that TKDS my hobby and nothing else so i dont care about grappling personally, NOT THAT IT ISNT USEFUL!!

'I might as well say that BJJs will not make a firm armlock even though they practice them constantly.'
    Read the sentence before that one- thats not what im saying. All those head locks mustve cut off the blood flow to your brain- irony isnt something you get the creases out of your gi with- for **** sake- this woman is almost illiterate.

From now on we must all type phonetically sss ohh the-at jay dee ch ik can uh-n-der stand u sss.

I was commenting in my original post that everyone here isnt out to bust heads open. some of us want to learn a skill and get fit at the same time. Obviously you warrior(what the **** are you on??!!) types dont understand that concept.

You are a stupid, thick bitch. (does that sound better).
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 5:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJob,

Maybe I was a bit harsh .. lets start over. We don't have to hug or anything but lets try to be nice for the sake of the kids.

Our real argument wasn't about shooting, sprawling or MT kicks. Just to clear up where I stand on those two things though .. I do believe that at many points in fighting your feet leave the ground.

I used shooting as an example of a lunge. I used sprawling as an example of a glide. I used the standard rear leg Muay Thai round kick as an example of a whip.

Very often MT fighters take a step or a small "hop" instead of a pivot with their base leg while delivering round kicks. Instead of pivoting on the ground they lift their foot up and reposition it. They can do this because the kick is not pivot generated. The MT round kick isn't like the chambered TKD round kick. It goes straight to the target from the ground. We are talking about a rear leg kick that gets its power from swiveling hips. You whip the leg around into him. Its about the impact and not the push. It isn't a snap kick or a push kick. Its all about smashing your leg into him like a club. It is like swinging a baseball bat.

Once again .. when you consider that it is used by fighters in the front guard stance you have to realize that they can't accomplish a full pivot. Not in that stance. They would have to turn sideways to do that. Some of them do that on occasion. (Mostly for lead leg round kicks) But in order to pivot for a rear leg kick they would have to take a step with their base leg and telegraph the kick. ..like the guy in the Muay Thai vs Kung Fu clip in the downloads section.

All I said was that the short-range jumping spinning sidekick isn't all that bad. (a low and slight jump for a kick aimed at low targets) There are situations in which you can use it effectively. Its not gay.

Anyway, I just saw Chuck Lidell do it on the musical intro to UFC 40. You can go tell him he was being a ****** if you want. See what he thinks about it.

Also, leaving a "strong base" for a split second is not dangerous. Its common in boxing, Muay Thai (take a look at Silva's flying knees) and dozens of fighting arts. Its really not that big of a deal. Don't get so crazy about it. I wasn't talking about a flying jump kick from across the room.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 6:53pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feeling a TAD threatened there, honey?

what I said was that im wasnt interested in doing UFC and that TKDS my hobby and nothing else so i dont care about grappling personally, NOT THAT IT ISNT USEFUL!!

'I might as well say that BJJs will not make a firm armlock even though they practice them constantly.'
    Read the sentence before that one- thats not what im saying. All those head locks mustve cut off the blood flow to your brain- irony isnt something you get the creases out of your gi with- for **** sake- this woman is almost illiterate.
    Coming from a man who dosen't understand the concept of CAPITAL LETTERS, apostrophes, or proper punctuation -- well, I find this tremendously amusing. You did spell illiterate correctly though; congrats.

From now on we must all type phonetically sss ohh the-at jay dee ch ik can uh-n-der stand u sss.
    Oh, that's funny. That's actually funny.

I was commenting in my original post that everyone here isnt out to bust heads open. some of us want to learn a skill and get fit at the same time.
    What a coincidence. Me too. It's just that you can do that by taking squash and I can't learn how to break someone's arm on a basketball court. Well, accidently, maybe.

Obviously you warrior(what the **** are you on??!!) types dont understand that concept.
    Listen, our Kali guru said something about what we do that made a hell of a lot of sense: "Do not pretend you're learning these skills for any other reason except to cause injury and death to someone who attacks you. If you think about this in weak terms, you will do it in weak ways." I use the harshest, most dramatic language possible when I talk about my training for very specific reasons.

You are a stupid, thick bitch. (does that sound better).
    Actually, I'm a very smart, nicely curved bitch. And that was an interogative comment and demands a question mark at the end.

The more you know the less you need to show.
    Yep. And since you seem to know nothing, I can see why you talk about it so much.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you guys are such fucking prejiduce assholes. oo tkd sucks...o tkd dosen't work bla bla bla. well let me tell you, in tkd we cover all aspects of fighting, we train knee's and elbows just like muay thai and we are allowed to use them during sparing. are foot work is crazy and works well. we punch the face and train in hand combos similar to boxers and kickboxers. we have throws, locks, sweeps and good self defense and reversals. so stop talking **** unless you have the balls to go fight a good tkd practioner.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD Fighter,

Remember that you are a one in oh so very few TKD schools that does this unfortuneately. Too many TKD schools focus on the sparring/sport aspect and nothing else which is a shame.

You need to grow tougher skin against some of these people who are always downning TKD because they are only going by what they see and the truth is that they see too much crap TKD and not enough good TKD which does exist. Trust me, you will never be able to change some of these people's mind about TKD. Just stay true to your training and debate them with what you do. That is all you can do. Trust me, you will bang your head against the wall far too many times trying to do anything different.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool. do you ever check your pm's?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast