Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WayOfLife View Post
    the only reason I used the term dan is because our school uses the term degree, which appears to not be in use by most other schools so i was just trying to use the term that most people used.

    I first started training when i was 6, but have moved and had to start over twice.

    Juggernoob, our school doesnt use a junior black belt rank, but im not really even sure what your trying to imply, explain please? or are just being sarcastic for the fun of it? (which i could understand lol)
    For the simplicity's sake, yes im being sarcastic for the sake of it. When you say your school doesnt use a junior rank, are you saying that someone of any age is capable of achieving a black belt?

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jackson MS
    Posts
    39
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    For the simplicity's sake, yes im being sarcastic for the sake of it. When you say your school doesnt use a junior rank, are you saying that someone of any age is capable of achieving a black belt?
    Gotcha.

    Technically some one as old as 10 could get a black belt, but our tests aren't really easy enough for a ten year old to pass. Still though, even before I joined Bullshido, I thought that even on paper allowing that was too young. If I become an instructor, one of the things I will definitely do is make the black belt requirements for my school more stringent. At least 13, and then only a junior black belt until over 15. That might still be too lenient for some people, but I quite frankly dont care, lol. Thats what I think would be fair, and thats what I will stick too.

    Thanks again for the replies guys.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bentonville, Ar
    Posts
    482
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Typically in more traditional schools, one has to be at least 16 to 17 years of age to receive a Black Belt rank. Until then, the student can achieve a Poomse belt and will remain there until they are old enough to test for Black Belt.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    37
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a few teenage BBs. Usually it would be about 10 years to get the first degree if they started young, single digit age. Kids normally don't have the same understanding of the techniques or the randomness of sparring that adults do. The "kid" BBs that came into the adult class normally did not do well against advanced underbelts of the same size. Its an interesting issue.

  5. #25
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I been a student / instructor of various styles of Martial Arts since 1965, I have studied from Asians and Non Asians, Young and old, some of my teachers are alive, and some are passed away. Some of my teachers are / were martial Artists, and some just Bad Asses that knew how to hurt people. I've known Black Belts from ALL different disiplines who would LOSE in a pysical Confrontation with a Girl Scout. And myself, I pocess a 10th. deg. Black Belt, yet I know collegues of mine who The thought of reality fighting with them scares the HELL out of me! All I can say is Watch someone who your considering as a potential instructor, Anyone can TALK a good line of B.S., Do research on them, anyone can fill thier walls with diplomas and awards. Trust your gut feeling. Another thing to remember is, Is that instructor still a student? As I mentioned earlier I have been recognized as a 10th. Deg. Black Belt, Yet I also have a White Belt which I wear regularly. Because, I'm the first to admit "I dont know it all, and I'm NOT the Baddest dude around"!, and I can usually learn something usefull from someone! Good Luck with your studies Brother, masterLee

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by masterlee1960 View Post
    I been a student / instructor of various styles of Martial Arts since 1965, I have studied from Asians and Non Asians, Young and old, some of my teachers are alive, and some are passed away. Some of my teachers are / were martial Artists, and some just Bad Asses that knew how to hurt people. I've known Black Belts from ALL different disiplines who would LOSE in a pysical Confrontation with a Girl Scout. And myself, I pocess a 10th. deg. Black Belt, yet I know collegues of mine who The thought of reality fighting with them scares the HELL out of me! All I can say is Watch someone who your considering as a potential instructor, Anyone can TALK a good line of B.S., Do research on them, anyone can fill thier walls with diplomas and awards. Trust your gut feeling. Another thing to remember is, Is that instructor still a student? As I mentioned earlier I have been recognized as a 10th. Deg. Black Belt, Yet I also have a White Belt which I wear regularly. Because, I'm the first to admit "I dont know it all, and I'm NOT the Baddest dude around"!, and I can usually learn something usefull from someone! Good Luck with your studies Brother, masterLee
    *Checks what forum this is in*

    *Bites clean through tongue*


    Cool brother, thanks for the wisdom.

  7. #27
    WorldWarCheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,121
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasa View Post
    We had a few teenage BBs. Usually it would be about 10 years to get the first degree if they started young, single digit age. Kids normally don't have the same understanding of the techniques or the randomness of sparring that adults do. The "kid" BBs that came into the adult class normally did not do well against advanced underbelts of the same size. Its an interesting issue.
    I completely disagree, not that kids should be able to get a BB (In Judo you're stuck at, what, purple until your 17?) but that they don't have the same understanding of techniques/randomness. I just sparred with a 13 year old who landed shots on me at will with a grace and precision any adult would goo over. He's been training since he was 8 and had over 20 professional fights in the ring. Children have plenty of mental capacity to figure out techniques and fighting.

  8. #28
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by masterlee1960 View Post
    As I mentioned earlier I have been recognized as a 10th. Deg. Black Belt
    Where are you recognized as a 10th dan? You said you started studying in 1965. Who was your instructor and in which art?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  9. #29
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    My TKD school never used the term dan, but you are higher rank than I am.
    What term did they use? Or did they just say 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bhudda Indiana
    Posts
    903
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    What term did they use? Or did they just say 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc?
    The Korean guys said grade, the instuctors said degree.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO