Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much, yes. The Bartitsu Society is completely non-political - we don't certify people or schools, there are no dues to pay, etc. Mainly, we're just all interested in seeing what would have happened if Barton-Wright's cross-training experiments hadn't been abandoned around 1902.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2011 6:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    If I can get interest in it and buy the compedium volumes then I am good to go so long as we follow the written material?
    Forgot to mention that the first Compendium presents what we call the "canonical syllabus", which is all the techniques and sequences Barton-Wright himself presented as Bartitsu circa 1901. The second Compendium presents resources for neo-Bartitsu, which is basically what Bartitsu can be today, in the sense of modern practitioners continuing Barton-Wright's experiments. We all use similar historical sources (including the canonical stuff), but different people take it in different directions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2011 8:45am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, thanks for the help.

I will be purchasing them here in the very near future and seeing if I can garner some interest.

Is Cunninghams' "the cane as a weapon" a good resource for cane?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2011 5:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's actually kind of hard to answer. Many of the techniques in the Cunningham system are similar or identical to those of the Vigny system, which tends to be our default resource for Bartitsu stick fighting. I think I'm right in saying that all the people who have taken a serious interest in Cunningham are members of the Bartitsu Society, but we tend to look on it as an adjunct study rather than as a source for Bartitsu per se. The consensus is that if you cast your net too widely beyond the Bartitsu "lineage" sources, you end up with a Frankenstyle.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12