Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Bartitsu: Its Exponent Interviewed" (1901)

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...erviewed-1901/

A recently discovered 1901 interview with E.W. Barton-Wright, the founder of Bartitsu. It offers some intriguing clues and details about the place of (kick)boxing in the Bartitsu repertoire, which has been a matter of speculation in the modern revival movement.

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 5:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: white belt Tae kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw this a while back and it looks like something I would wanna learn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 4:09am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liked this part of the interview:

...The amateur is seldom taught how to hit really hard, which is what you must
    do in a row. Nor is he protected against the savate, which would
    certainly be used on him by foreign ruffians, or the cowardly kicks often given
    by the English Hooligan...
    Foreign ruffians and English Hooligans, what's the world coming too :)

Saying that, I wouldn't mind learning this too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 6:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've been discussing the "foreign ruffians" line over on the Bartitsu Forum. At first glance it reads like typical Victorian xenophobia, but it's likely that Barton-Wright was simply saying that since a foreign (particularly French) opponent might well be trained in savate, the Bartitsu practitioner should know how to defend against a skilled kicker. Savate was all but unknown in London when this interview took place.

Re. learning Bartitsu, there's a list of clubs and study groups at http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/ and a how-to guide for setting up new clubs at http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/ba...-and-training/ .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 11:44am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    We've been discussing the "foreign ruffians" line over on the Bartitsu Forum[/URL]. At first glance it reads like typical Victorian xenophobia...
    I was laughing because phrases that was once acceptable now aren't or are frown upon, not really for any other reason. A bit like Australian Santas Asked Not to 'Ho Ho Ho' down under :)

Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Re. learning Bartitsu, there's a list of clubs and study groups at http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/ and a how-to guide for setting up new clubs at http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/ba...-and-training/ .
    Thanks mate, unfortunately there are no clubs near to where I live (let alone in the same county).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2011 11:26am

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "As to boxing, we have guards which are not at all like the guards taught in schools, and which will make the assailant hurt his own hand and arm very seriously. So we teach a savate not at all like the French savate, but much more deadly, and which, if properly used, will smash the opponent’s ankle or even his ribs."

What a great find! Are there visuals for the guards in the Bartitsu Compendiums?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2011 2:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post

What a great find! Are there visuals for the guards in the Bartitsu Compendiums?
    Barton-Wright wrote detailed articles covering some of the jujitsu and stickfighting content, but this 1901 interview is actually the most detail we've ever found on his "modified boxing and savate" - everything else on that subject is just vague hints. We're assuming that the "destructive guards" were most likely elbow blocks/shields to the opponents fists, whereas the "savate" aspect was probably kicking into the opponent's kicks. It definitely adds a new wrinkle to the Bartitsu revival.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 9:01pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather than start a whole new thread on this, I figured I would ask in this existing one.

Regarding setting up a new club, how does one go about it? The article referenced earlier mentioned having sufficient experience in one of the source arts and the Bartitsu Compendium vol 1&2.

Is that all there is to it?

There's a club about 2-3 hours away from me in OK, however I'd like to see a group started where I am. There's a new fencing school that has recently opened here and I'm thinking about approaching them to see if there is any interest.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 9:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bartitsu revival is a bit unusual in martial arts terms in that it's an open-source, community experiment rather than an attempt to create a fully codified system. On that basis, the Bartitsu Society encourages interested parties to set up their own club/study group/etc.

Different groups go about it in different ways - some are collaborations between people who have diverse training backgrounds, others are run by individuals who have experience in all or many of the "sub-styles", etc.

If you get into it you should also join the Bartitsu Forum, which is where all the cool kids hang out - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bartitsu_Forum/ .
    Last edited by DdlR; 10/29/2011 9:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2011 10:53pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I can get interest in it and buy the compedium volumes then I am good to go so long as we follow the written material?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast