Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 1:27pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nage No Kata question

While recuperating from this shoulder injury, I have been thinking about preparing for my shodan grading which should be fairly soon. I have done fairly well in competition, however I have worked very little on the NNK. I have read the JF entries on it but I wanted to ask the Bullshido community what was key in getting at least passable on this demonstration.

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a good uke.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    While recuperating from this shoulder injury, I have been thinking about preparing for my shodan grading which should be fairly soon. I have done fairly well in competition, however I have worked very little on the NNK. I have read the JF entries on it but I wanted to ask the Bullshido community what was key in getting at least passable on this demonstration.
    Although I've only had to do the first half myself, I agree with judoka_uk about having a good uke. Have you got the Kodokan video instructional? It is full of important points and is well worth watching many times.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 2:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Get a good uke.
    What does good mean here? Someone who jumps for you, someone who attacks with conviction and really tries to judo chop you on the head? Something else?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 3:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    What does good mean here? Someone who jumps for you, someone who attacks with conviction and really tries to judo chop you on the head? Something else?
    Someone who knows it well. Uke can fix things up if you start to go wrong, but not the other way around.

It doesn't actually take that long to learn it. Learning it to a standard that will pass a shodan exam may be another thing, it would depend on the standard they are looking for.

If you can, find out who will be examining you and what they personally like to see the kata.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 3:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good uke without a doubt is the best advice and make sure he is a little taller than you.

Also don't robot it make it look like you are really moving and throwing naturally not mechanically.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 3:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone who can move properly, smoothe over mistakes and of course vitally isn't a club footed mat phobic so that they have confidence going over.

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 8:53am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does good mean here?
    No jumping - he has to be a guy that knows how to be thrown. Surely by now you should know what we mean by "good uke".

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 3:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    I'm a bit confused. You are recuperating from a shoulder injury.

You are thinking about preparing for your shodan exam, which will require you to demonstrate NNK.

1.) Are you thinking you can do NNK while recuperating? If so, think again, you can't.
    2.) Get a copy of Otaki and Draeger, Judo: Formal Techniques. Study the NNK part while recuperating. Memorize the sequences.
    3.) Find someone in your dojo or area who understands what the grading board wants to see in NNK, which standard they are using. It would be best to discuss this and other aspects of what is required with the head of the grading board if possible.
    4.) Find a good uke, preferably one who is experienced at both roles in the NNK, and knows what your local/yudanshakai whatever grading board expects.
    5.) You will have to practice the NNK for a few months if you want to make a decent showing of it. Some grading boards will be meh, for shodan you basically have to just be able to make it through the the required sets (for shodan often just the first three are required), others will expect you to make some minimum score. Find out!

Oh, and find a good uke.

good luck
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 3:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Good uke without a doubt is the best advice and make sure he is a little taller than you.

Also don't robot it make it look like you are really moving and throwing naturally not mechanically.
    If he can't do that already doing NNK won't help.

But you knew that already.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast