Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 12:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Taekwondo training methods?

So, I'm starting to get more serious about my Taekwondo training, and I want to compete in more tournaments (WTF affiliated), and I wanted to know what other Taekwondo practitioners do, like warm ups, drills, etc. I'd like to get some ideas from other people, since I feel like mixing up my work out would benefit me more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 12:46pm

Style: TKD & HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Footwork, cardio, and distance are the three basics my school works on with students who are serious about getting into competition. I would recommend finding a good sparring partner (approx. same size, weight, and skill level if possible) and do hogu drills until your legs feel like they're going to fall off. Hogu drills will not only teach you about proper distance, but your footwork will improve greatly. The biggest problem I see most of our students having is getting their hips turned over enough to make solid contact that can be considered a solid point.

What is your age, rank, and approx size? Color belts don't necessarily need to know how to do running triples and cut kicks yet, so that info can help determine what drills would be best.

Are you looking to do these drills by yourself or will you have a partner/teammate to help?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 2:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I would love to do Hogu drills IF there were people my size around my dojang. I'm 18 years of age, 2nd Dan, and I'm pretty short, standing at about 5'5. Everyone else in my dojang is well high above me. Well, I'm in the search for other Dojangs right now, because my current one has like, no competitive spirit, if that makes sense.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 4:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Step A: Quit TKD now and train something else.

OR:

Plyometrics and sparring. Lots and lots of sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 8:44pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Step A: Quit TKD now and train something else.

OR:

Plyometrics and sparring. Lots and lots of sparring.
    Agreed, but if you go with B then throw jump roping in there. It works for boxers, and Its just a great way to get more cardio in.

For skill related stuff, are you talking about doing stuff outside the dojang, or in?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good, either would be good. It doesn't have to be in the dojang. I've been starting to do sprints like crazy as of late, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2011 7:20pm

Style: Taekwondo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Taekwondo too here is what I do. I do 75 pushups everday 25 in the morning 15 when I get home and 25 more before I go to bed. I do 50 Sit-ups, stretch for at least 10 minutes and practice my moves whenever I get a chance. I also sprint and do 21 Pull-ups(I can't seem to do an even number of them. Because Taekwondo is said to not have to many hand techniques I also practice alot of Boxing punches. I'm 5'6, 120 pounds. I'm also a Teenager if that makes any difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2011 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for sparring i would suggest having a group of people train with you. each person will do one of the following: A) nothing but dodging or blocking while you must chase and attack, or B) nothing but attacking and you're only allowed to avoid or block. You have a fresh person come in with style A or B to work on both aspects separately. Then you eventually change it into a situation where you continuously spar like normal with people who will switch out for fresh bodies. Most importantly, don't try any new, fancy tricks you see in videos. Just spar in a way that suits you and feels natural.

for fitness, probably sprinting in intervals (go to town, sprint for a block, jog next, repeat). plyometrics for your legs like box jumps. any kind of training to improve your footwork (dancing, believe it or not, can help here). also throw in some cordination drills where you have to kick a changing target. From what I know about WTF rules, punching doesn't really get you any points, so arm focused routines are kind of pointless. focus on your legs and cardio.

Btw, if that one line wasn't an indicator, I don't practice WTF style TKD. So these are just my opinions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 8:06pm

Style: Taekwondo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1armedwonder View Post
    for sparring i would suggest having a group of people train with you. each person will do one of the following: A) nothing but dodging or blocking while you must chase and attack, or B) nothing but attacking and you're only allowed to avoid or block. You have a fresh person come in with style A or B to work on both aspects separately. Then you eventually change it into a situation where you continuously spar like normal with people who will switch out for fresh bodies. Most importantly, don't try any new, fancy tricks you see in videos. Just spar in a way that suits you and feels natural.

for fitness, probably sprinting in intervals (go to town, sprint for a block, jog next, repeat). plyometrics for your legs like box jumps. any kind of training to improve your footwork (dancing, believe it or not, can help here). also throw in some cordination drills where you have to kick a changing target. From what I know about WTF rules, punching doesn't really get you any points, so arm focused routines are kind of pointless. focus on your legs and cardio.

Btw, if that one line wasn't an indicator, I don't practice WTF style TKD. So these are just my opinions.
    My friend does kickboxing but his strikes hurt just to block against. But I practice punches to use in a street fight. If I was to be attacked or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2011 11:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben836 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1armedwonder View Post

My friend does kickboxing but his strikes hurt just to block against. But I practice punches to use in a street fight. If I was to be attacked or something.
    I don't know if you thought my statement was aimed at you or not, but isn't the guy who started this thread asking about stuff that's relevant to WTF-oriented competitions? I'm not saying learning how to throw punches is bad, because it isn't, I'm just saying that for WTF they either rarely or never score hand techniques. Therefore drills that improve punching ability are pointless, and only blocking drills should even be considered. Now, if this were kickboxing, then hell yes you want to do arm drills.
    Last edited by 1armedwonder; 12/20/2011 11:41pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast