Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate, and the mentaly handicaped.

So I work for a mental health center...I work directly mentoring and running a youth group for young kids with moderate/servere mental illness, like autism, MR, schitsophrenia, bi-polar, ect...

Anyways, Ive got the approval from my job to start a martial arts/karate class for these kids, which I feel would be very benificial. Alot of them lack social interaction, have weight gain do to medication, and just come don't have any natural supports and outlets.

I was wondering if anyone else has done something similar, working with special needs children and youth, and what would you recommend I do, things I can do to help with social interaction. I want this to also be a skill building process, as well as teaching them.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you a karate instructor?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive done martial arts for years, but technicaly i am not instructor/no formal certification if that's what you're asking. I DO plan on having a woman in the area teach the class, who i've learn from years ago,who runs her own karate school in the area, so i'd just be assisting. I've done mostly thai boxing, but I think teaching karate would be better for the target audience then muay thai would be.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:34am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a thread about an autistic girl who flourished studying muay thai a while ago.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really?!!! I'll look that up!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 12:07pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissyp View Post
    So I work for a mental health center...I work directly mentoring and running a youth group for young kids with moderate/servere mental illness, like autism, MR, schitsophrenia, bi-polar, ect...

Anyways, Ive got the approval from my job to start a martial arts/karate class for these kids, which I feel would be very benificial. Alot of them lack social interaction, have weight gain do to medication, and just come don't have any natural supports and outlets.

I was wondering if anyone else has done something similar, working with special needs children and youth, and what would you recommend I do, things I can do to help with social interaction. I want this to also be a skill building process, as well as teaching them.
    As a nationally recognised teacher of three different martial arts, and a children's qualified coach, here's my opinion from a duty of care perspective.

Each child must be judged on their own merit, their ability to gain something worthwhile from the study of a martial IE "FIGHTING" art. I've written fighting in capital letters to reinfoce my point because, at the end of the day martial arts - if they're worth studying - are, at their base level are about fighting ability, regardless of any associated philosphy about self development/improvement etc etc, if you're teaching a child to kick/punch/strike, that's EXACTLY what you're teaching them to do and it doesn't bode well for you or them if they fail to grasp the responsibilities associated with such skills.

Now, I would suggest that either Judo or Aikido would be far better for children, expecially those who may have reduced learning or comprehension capability because, both Aikido and Judo can be taught as "sports" rather than fighting arts. Both Judo and Aikido would be far more beneficial in terms of developing motor skills and social interaction due to the inherent nature of the arts themselves. However, if the children in question will never fully understand the complexities of this form of study, you'd be better, in my humble opinion, seeking out some other form of physical activity such as soccer, basketball [whatever] because they will still provide you with your aims for the children.

That's just my take on things.

Dave
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 10/04/2011 12:11pm at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 7:20am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do this at my school, you might want to email Todd, he's very helpful and very good with the little guys.

http://www.mma4a.org/

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    As a nationally recognised teacher of three different martial arts, and a children's qualified coach, here's my opinion from a duty of care perspective.

Each child must be judged on their own merit, their ability to gain something worthwhile from the study of a martial IE "FIGHTING" art. I've written fighting in capital letters to reinfoce my point because, at the end of the day martial arts - if they're worth studying - are, at their base level are about fighting ability, regardless of any associated philosphy about self development/improvement etc etc, if you're teaching a child to kick/punch/strike, that's EXACTLY what you're teaching them to do and it doesn't bode well for you or them if they fail to grasp the responsibilities associated with such skills.

Now, I would suggest that either Judo or Aikido would be far better for children, expecially those who may have reduced learning or comprehension capability because, both Aikido and Judo can be taught as "sports" rather than fighting arts. Both Judo and Aikido would be far more beneficial in terms of developing motor skills and social interaction due to the inherent nature of the arts themselves. However, if the children in question will never fully understand the complexities of this form of study, you'd be better, in my humble opinion, seeking out some other form of physical activity such as soccer, basketball [whatever] because they will still provide you with your aims for the children.

That's just my take on things.

Dave
    i find myself very much in agreement, top to bottom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 11:26pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their strength is dangerous as it is, there's a reason jokes are made about it. Read Rock Ape's post and ponder it deeply.

The reason I say that is because a buddy's step mom I know worked with mentaly handy-capped kids, and thought it would be fun for them to learn karate. That is until one of them hospitalized her. He'd never been violent until then, he may never have had the thought to hurt anyone until he was taught how to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast