Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 1:21pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Perfect Punch

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this product, so I apologize if it has already been discussed.

Here is the web page:

http://www.perfectpunch.org/

As you can see, it is basically a resistance band attached to two gloves. While I am fairly sure that shadow boxing while using this piece of equipment will give you a pretty good workout, I am much more interested in the claim that using it will help perfect one's punching form.

Has anyone tried it or have an educated opinion as to any potential benefit to developing proper punching form?

And yes, the blonde girl in the video is quite fetching.

Cheers.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 1:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punching power comes from driving with the legs and hips, this only provides resistance to the arms.

In other words, it's a complete waste of fucking time... in my humble opinion of course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 1:31pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenguy View Post

And yes, the blonde girl in the video is quite fetching.

Cheers.
    I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect the above quote will be its main selling point. That fact alone may be all you need to know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Punching power comes from driving with the legs and hips, this only provides resistance to the arms.

In other words, it's a complete waste of fucking time... in my humble opinion of course.
    Lu Tze,
    Thanks for taking the time to post a response.

I think that you raise a good point. Aside from the general benefits of aerobic and resistance exercise, there are three claims that the people selling this product make:

1. An increase in punching power- as you said, punching power is largely generated by the hips and legs. If there is no resistance added to the hips and legs, will there be any significant increase in punching power beyond that developed by shadowboxing without the bands?

2. Improved punching form- the idea is that the band provides feedback letting you know if your arm is too high, too low, etc. However, if there is no feedback as to the movement of the hips, how useful is the feedback provided by the arm straps? (This is not a rhetorical question, I honestly have no idea.)

Even assuming such feedback would lead to better punching form, does this product actually give useful feedback?

3. An improvement in punching speed- Again, would using this product accomplish anything that just shadow boxing without it wound not?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 4:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No its crap. Why all the analysis?

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 5:19pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the exercise device needs to be added to one of the greatest bullshido threads of all time: "Worst/gayest fitness products ever!"

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109333

That little gem of a thread has some of the most hilarious fitness products to ever grace mankind. It's time this ugly beast of a thread be necroed to add a very pertinent fitness product to the cache.

Last time this thread was necoed I did get two infractions for using the word "gayest" in the title. But at the time the mods were on a big anti-homophobic posts kick. I'm not against changing the title but the thread must be remembered.

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 6:15pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use a rubber band sometimes and wrap it around our back as they do and just hold it in our hands. Pretty good workout.
    don't think it makes your punch perfect, but it does work your muscles. We also tie a band to the wall and wrap it around our waist while shadowboxing..Great workout too.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 10:14am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!