Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 3:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Orthodox or southpaw?

Hi everybody, I wrestled for a few years in high school, so all my shots are with my right leg forward, but can't throw a left cross worth a crap. Conversely, in an orthodox stance, my double/single legs feel super awkward with my left leg forward.

My question is, would it be a better idea to learn how to shoot with my left leg in an orthodox stance, or learn how to throw a left cross in a southpaw stance? Thanks!

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 5:10am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stand southpaw.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 5:56am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would depend entirely on whether you want to train to compete and/or for self-defense. Also if competing then would you want to do just striking, or just grappling, or mma ruleset ?
    Best advice is to go to a gym that has a coach who is qualified to teach all these things, and ask them what you should do after they assess your ability.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 9:03am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learn some striking that involves dominant hand lead. Kali or JKD type stuff. once you do that for while, going all switchy-foot gets to be second nature.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you have a lot of practice in the southpaw stance. If your wrestling is that much better than your striking I'd stay southpaw so that I had good take downs and work on bring my striking level up. I had the opposite problem from doing Muay Thai first. I automatically go into an orthodox stance so I had to learn to shoot from left leg forward even though my right is my dominant side.