Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice on a new carry piece

I love my USP Compact .45. But, "Compact," is something of a misnomer. I've been shopping for the last several weeks for a new piece, and I'm homing in on one of 2 models. So, I'm soliciting advice or recommendations from Bullies.

The two guns I have in consideration, right now, are the Ruger LCP .380 and the Kel Tec PF-9. I'm leaning towards the PF-9: bigger faster holes with more ubiquitous ammo, about the same size, and about $100 cheaper. Also, slightly taller so my pinky doesn't feel left out.

I'm looking for something about the $300 mark, so SIG and Kahr are pretty much right out of consideration.

Is there anything else I should consider in this range, and do you knowledgeable bullies have success/horror stories about either of the above two weapons (I saw Phrost's trigger problem with his PF-9, for example)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 8:18am

Style: Judo, BJJ, MT Newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I happily carried a 9mm Makarov for several years. It was light, easily concealed, and the round is a bit hotter than a standard 9mm. The safety is built like a tank so I was comfortable carrying with the hammer back.

I now carry a USP compact 45 :-) . I'm 6'5 so it easier for me I guess.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 8:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A coworker of mine has the Kel Tec PF9, it's a good little pistol for carry. Just keep in mind that the 9 mm isn't going to have the stopping power that the .45 has, so shot placement is going to be critical (which it should be anyway).

Now if you don't mind a revolver, Rossi has a nice little 5 shot .38 special snubby. MSRP is about $400, but I've also seen them go for much less than that at several gun shows. It's small, combat, and with the +P rounds, packs a punch.

Glock has a .40 S&W subcompact that's fairly nice. It may be a little bit more than you're wanting to spend, but well worth the money IMO. You can get a grip extender for the glock that helps provide the pinky a home.

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 9:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just picked up a Springfield LtWt Champion Operator 45 (ok, not real compact but small and flat enough to carry, especially if you are my size). Thing is a freaking lazer beam. Also got a Beretta PX4 Sub in 40. A bit chubby for some, not slim like a Walther PPS but great for my hands. Hides nice and am using it a lot.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 9:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm not a big guy - 5'11" and 165 lbs soaking wet. I've tried to ankle-holster the USP Compact in my boots, but no, it's just too big. I carry IWB when I can get away with it. But, this is South Florida. I can wear shorts pretty much all year. Whatever I get has to be pretty small.

If I could find one at the right price, I would try an AMT .45 Backup. I held a used one a few months back, and it seemed just right. I'm all for not complicating my life with multiple cartridges, but I also want to carry daily, comfortably, and inexpensively.

(edit) I can get the PF-9 new under $300, including all taxes and fees... So, I'm really, really leaning for this gun.
    Last edited by submessenger; 10/03/2011 9:46am at . Reason: addendum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 6:29am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kel-Tec is known for being pretty customer friendly. My friend had a problem with one of his, he sent it back and they fixed it right up for him and when he got it back there weren't ever any other problems. He has owned the PF11 and one of their rifles. Because I have been hearing about his experiences with them I have been leaning towards buying a PF9 or PF11 for a while. I have similar issues concealing a gun on my skinny ass in the summer time.

You looked at the Ruger LC9?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 7:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash View Post
    Kel-Tec is known for being pretty customer friendly. My friend had a problem with one of his, he sent it back and they fixed it right up for him and when he got it back there weren't ever any other problems. He has owned the PF11 and one of their rifles. Because I have been hearing about his experiences with them I have been leaning towards buying a PF9 or PF11 for a while. I have similar issues concealing a gun on my skinny ass in the summer time.

You looked at the Ruger LC9?
    I like the fact that Kel Tec is just a few hours drive, from here. If for no other reason, supporting "local," business seems like a good idea.

The LC-9 looks great, but, besides being out of my budgeted price range, it's a brand-new gun. I don't want to run into the sort of early adopter issues that PF-9 owners did, a few years back.

(edit) this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for, though - thanks.
    Last edited by submessenger; 10/04/2011 7:41am at . Reason: addendum

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just bit the bullet (hehe) and ordered the PF-9. It should be in tomorrow, but it will be Saturday before I can get to the range. Expect a full report/review.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did the PF-9 work out? I am interested because I have a Ruger LCP and I love it. Then again, I'm always in the mood for new compacts! (Hangs head) It's an addiction.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 1:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LC9 > PF9 if you ask me.
    Actually, no offense, but I think all the guns in that rage are pretty crappy guns. I just went for glock 26/ sr9c / xdsc sized guns
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast