Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 7:53am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    But, but, but.... if you explain aikido with biomechanics and combat psychology that would make aikido like any other form of ju jutsu. That's not what the aikido niche market wants.
    This answers a question that I had which was why Aikido is frowned upon more than other forms of Jujutsu that also have compliant training. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    It's all been covered really, but I may be able to offer a suggestion regarding your leaning forwards for shorter uke's

As a tall person myself (in my case, very tall), I have adopted a method which I'm finding holds my posture better than leaning, and keeps me more mobile than bending my knees down low.

As a tall Nage, it feels like I want to be lifting uke up to my height to make things easier. What I try to do initially is the opposite. Aim to drop uke down a bit, in a small sharp movement Then as they recover themselves, draw them back up at the same time. That way, there are two of you lifting him to his toes. It genrates a kind of bouncing sensation that finishes with uke (temporarily) being a bit higher, and feeling a lot higher.

Add that to any dynamic horizontal movement you are both making, and it makes kuzushi much easier too, as you are breaking the posture of someone who is now much less grounded.

Well done for posting the vid here, especially after the **** you got for your first few Bullshido posts. A brave move, and (partly also thanks to iron fist moderating) one that is resulting in the first serious Aiki conversation here in ages.
    I think I understand what you mean with bringing uke down then back up, it looks a little complicated but I think I can try.

Thanks for the advice but I think this will take some time to master. I will try it in practice today.

Also everyone else thank you, and please if you have anything else to add that would make me better, don't hesitate. I'll work on these things and hopefully by the time I take my Ikkyu test I will have worked (to some extent) on them.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 8:29am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    But, but, but.... if you explain aikido with biomechanics and combat psychology that would make aikido like any other form of ju jutsu. That's not what the aikido niche market wants.
    Aikido *IS* another form of jujutsu. Just one which has been fraught with a lot of bullshit attitude and hippy tree hugging types who'd rather study a choreographed dance - but then you know that :-)
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 11:59am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ellis Amdur and some others have recently proposed that not only was Ueshiba doing physically sound things, but the mumbo-jumbo that his deshi couldn't understand was just jargon they weren't familiar with. Admittedly Ueshiba was fond of using his own blend of shinto/Oomoto-kyo/kotodama imagery that leads to "lost in translation" problems even amoungst his direct students.
    I've got Hidden in Plain Sight on my wish list, which I believe goes into this a little, link.

There's a thread on some of the back-engineering of the flowery words O Sensei used on aikiweb, link.

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    I've got Hidden in Plain Sight on my wish list
    A must have.

On tree hugging and aikido:

Where's the love in a punch to the head?

My bare feet find comfort in the texture and character of the tatami mat beneath. Thoughts and memories are alive in that intimate relationship of flesh and earth. My breath deepens and I feel the earth's attraction for the limbs of my body more deeply as the tension in my muscles releases. My feet flatten out and the capillaries in my lower extremities are gorged with blood as my whole being focuses on attacking my Aikido teacher. Blood flows powerfully from my heart and flesh and bones work together in harmony producing a shifting landscape, as the distance to my teacher diminishes. My hand raises to grasp his arm, suddenly my cheek is glued to the heel of his hand. All that exists is his bones melding into the contour of my cheekbone with tremendous force. Miraculously in the same moment blending with the soft cartilage in my nose. The structure of my body and his body are as one. A resonance permeates down through my organs, cells and atoms. An emptiness opens up and all form dies, even time fails to permeate this infinite universe. Intimacy as never before experienced, atoms older than the sun, unable to distinguish their source, all that exists is one. Time and structure break back into my experience as I feel the force of his blow to my skull whip down my spine and out my tail bone, my legs leave the floor and suddenly the floor is racing towards me at an incredible speed. My flesh is filled with vitality as I take a hard side break fall on the mat as the force of impact is easily dissipated into the ground by these vibrant cells. The resulting vibrations course through my body as my bones and flesh realign. Grateful for the insight gained from this experience I rise and once again attack my Aikido teacher.

Heery, B. (2000). Awakening spirit in the body: A heuristic exploration of peak or mystical experiences in the practice of Aikido. Unpublished doctoral dissertation proposal, Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, Palo Alto, CA.
    I'm having a mystical experience too...
    Last edited by DCS; 10/04/2011 12:11pm at .

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 2:17pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Ok, this could be such a diverse conversation which, I've often seen ending up between the extremes of logical to down right ridiculous in nature - depending upon who you talk too on the subject.

I'll give you my perspective on what "harmony" and "ki" means to me. You can take that for what it's worth.

The ideological doctrine of aikido is that of "Resolving conflict without violence" ... but, who's defining what constitutes as "violence" and to what level?

Given that Ueshiba is the founder of the discipline, it's a good starting point to attribute him as the person defining the statement, however; his attitude toward violence changed as he aged thus we must discard any of his exploits prior to the conclusion of WWII and, the official creation of Aikido as a recognised martial art. Thus, his definition must be based on his desire to use Aikido as a means of reconciliation so, almost no level of violence at all.

The Paradox of this is that we're studying a martial tradition which does not advocate "fighting" because by definition, we're engaging in the "violence" which aikido wishes to resolve. In essence we strive to be in a constant state of harmony with ourselves and our surroundings - remember this is an ideological doctrine but we don't exist in an ideal world.

The reality is however, when faced with a physical conflict our training should, at the very least, give us the ability to position ourselves in the right place at the right time to perform a given technique. - AWASE -

In doing so we're part way into removing our opponent's ability to carry out his intentions of doing us harm, we're beginning (ideologically speaking) to restore the balance of "harmony" between you and your opponent. We achieve this by maintaining some form of physical contact - MUSUBI - and through this we effectively disrupt that individual's ability to maintain their normal posture - KUZUSHI -

Whilst doing all of that we're utilising - KOKYU - which is our ability to captitilise on our respiratory function to control not only ourselves but, to add demonstrably noticeable power into our techniques because we're involving our entire body (internally and externally)

Our determination and courage during confrontations is driven from within our spirit, - KI - Not the mystical, religious bullshit often associated with the term, but the tenacity of our character to get the job done.
    Superbly put. I'm going to copy that for my own benefit - and as a reminder. Great stuff.

For Aikironin (and Mister) you alluded to control, posture and more. For comparison, in Trad JJ for 3rd Dan, the things that the Grading Senseis are looking for are: Technique; Control; No Gaps.

Thanks to Rock Ape also for his comment on Aikido as another branch of Ju Jitsu. Agreed. That's why I am going to steal some of Mister's techniques. There are clear parallels with aspects of our Syllabus. That's one of the reasons why I was scrutinising the 'flow' and 'leading' amplifying the Body Movement and Breaking of Balance. Good thread, chaps.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 10/04/2011 2:18pm at . Reason: 3rd Dan to provide context

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 3:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie, remember that AI KI isn't a martial art, its a concept of an integrated process of how to deal with a given situation, it's doesn't just apply to a martial art but potentially, if you subscribe to the notion, your entire life and how you go about it.

In very simple terms it's about not meeting situations head on. If you apply that concept to a martial technique, then your intent would be avoidance, connection, redirection, application. In aikido terminology that reads : Awase, Musubi, Kuzushi (with taisabaki) waza
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 4:54pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Judoka was being such a gentleman. It was nice to see he respected his opponents skill level, and didnt put much effort in.

At approx 1:00 the Aikidoka breaks grips by giving his back up. Why?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Eight minutes of doing things that mostly don't work in a way that doesn't work. It's not you that sucks. It's your art, its techniques, its testing methodology. Your test consists of manipulating a stooge who's terrified of the consequences of slapping you.
    Go do judo before that happens to you.

Rock Ape, if you delete this, you turn us into MAP-lite. The Trad MA forums are not, and should never be, shelters for unscientific reasoning, relativistic fallacies or fursecution complexes.
    I do Judo.

But is it not possible that in a real situation these things might work when done after a quick strike to the throat or eyes? Do you not agree that sparring is different from the real thing?

I think many people whom are much more experienced than I am, have spoken in this subject before and I don't have enough experience to sufficiently argue with you about it. But I will say that it is reasonable to assume something doesn't work because it loses sparring matches.

Maybe a higher level Aikidoka can comment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    That Judoka was being such a gentleman. It was nice to see he respected his opponents skill level, and didnt put much effort in.

At approx 1:00 the Aikidoka breaks grips by giving his back up. Why?
    I guess it's a way of escaping double hand grip on shoulder (Ryo Katadori). I don't know personally I don't like giving my back to my opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 5:10pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I do Judo.

But is it not possible that in a real situation these things might work when done after a quick strike to the throat or eyes? Do you not agree that sparring is different from the real thing?

I think many people whom are much more experienced than I am, have spoken in this subject before and I don't have enough experience to sufficiently argue with you about it. But I will say that it is reasonable to assume something doesn't work because it loses sparring matches.

Maybe a higher level Aikidoka can comment.

I guess it's a way of escaping double hand grip on shoulder (Ryo Katadori). I don't know personally I don't like giving my back to my opponent.
    If you've ever been hit in the eyes or throat, you'd know that your instinctive reaction is a tensing one. Aside from the fact that its distracting, it has no magic disabling power, so if anything striking someone would make them harder to move as they'd lock up and become dead weight.

As for the whole maybe itd work. Well, if you've just acknowledged an Aikidoka doing something, that in any situation results in serious ownage, then you've answered your own question.

Giving up the back while standing or on the ground results in a choke, simple as.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    If you've ever been hit in the eyes or throat, you'd know that your instinctive reaction is a tensing one. Aside from the fact that its distracting, it has no magic disabling power, so if anything striking someone would make them harder to move as they'd lock up and become dead weight.

As for the whole maybe itd work. Well, if you've just acknowledged an Aikidoka doing something, that in any situation results in serious ownage, then you've answered your own question.

Giving up the back while standing or on the ground results in a choke, simple as.
    So your standing on the subject is anything that has no sparring is not effective, right?

I guess at this time maybe a better Aikido practitioner than me can convince you, is it just Aikido you have a problem with or is it everything else that is traditional? Aikijujutsu of most Ryu, Kenjutsu, Classical Jujutsu, Iaido...etc. (Most TMA have no sparring, correct me if I'm wrong about this though).

Edit: My technique may be not good but I don't account for all Aikidoka. Maybe what I do doesn't work but once I get better...
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast