Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 7:13pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Critique My Kyu Test

Hello, I want to get better at Aikido and Martial Arts in general and thought maybe I could be better by having my mistakes noticed by others for me.

I will try to swallow my pride and receive all criticism.

Below is my 2nd Kyu Aikido test which was taken a couple of days ago, I passed but are there any Aikidoka out there who have any advice?

Or non-Aikidoka even, aside from the usual stop doing Aikido, Aikido sucks stuff.

Thanks.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 8:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note to everyone who sees fit to post.

I will moderate this thread with an iron fist, so do not **** about.

This guy has seen fit to post a video and has asked for assistance, feel free to be honest with your critique but remember this isn't YMAS.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mister, which style of Aikido do you train? Iwama, Aikikai, Yoshinkan, etc ?

I'm not an aikidoka, just curious.

I would say that your tai sabaki is not bad, I know from limited exposure in Judo that Suwari waza are hell on the knees and you moved pretty well.

I just wish uke would actually throw a blow, no matter how slowly or softly, that actually might hit you if you just stood there. We even do that much in the Ju No Kata of Judo, which is pretty much done in slow motion.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 8:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'm not going to comment on specific waza, that's for your teacher to deal with, what I think you'd benefit from here is a discussion regarding the principles of aikido.

Overall for a middle senior kyu grading, that wasn't bad; I've seen much worse however there are aspects what you do that would greatly improve your aikido generally.

- Musubi .. Connection with your uke. At times you had far too much distance between you and your uke whilst you were in the process of making your techniques, you've got to capitalise on kuzushi - keeping your uke off balance and you do this principally by maintaining contact with your hips through theirs.

- Atemi .. Yes I saw you making gestures and what I saw was typical of most aikido training however, regardless of how slow or basic you wish to break a technique down, KUZUSHI begins with atemi. Over emphasis what atemi you use and don't be stopped by uke putting his had up in front of his face - PUSH PAST IT and make him react accordingly.

- Awase .. you have to continually work on your ability to match your taisabaki with uke's momentum - be in the right place at the right time

- Hanmi .. polish your posture through a lot of hard work, the more fatigued you get, the worse your posture becomes, it's almost always the first aspect of what you train for which goes to rat **** when your gassing... Good solid body posture is the foundation of the technique you're looking to apply, if the foundation is weak, so will the technique.

- Kokyu .. So much more the just breathing but, co-ordinate your breathing to relate to the attack, and your awase and waza, in to receive, out when you apply.

- Hara .. you look like a tall guy, lower your center of gravity slightly, this will stabilise your hanmi.

Congrats on the grading.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Mister, which style of Aikido do you train? Iwama, Aikikai, Yoshinkan, etc ?

I'm not an aikidoka, just curious.

I would say that your tai sabaki is not bad, I know from limited exposure in Judo that Suwari waza are hell on the knees and you moved pretty well.

I just wish uke would actually throw a blow, no matter how slowly or softly, that actually might hit you if you just stood there. We even do that much in the Ju No Kata of Judo, which is pretty much done in slow motion.
    Oh Suwari Waza IS hell on the knees, I practiced a lot. But I had a little injury in my right knee (JUDO!) and another one in my left! (Muai Thai) so I was lumbering around.

I do Aikikai but the situation is complicated, as we've had a lot of different teachers there's no one constant style but the Umbrella is Aikikai. The Shihan in charge of my area is Kenji Kumagai.

I don't know but I thought his strikes would hit me if I didn't move lol. He's my mate maybe he wanted to make me look good on my test.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 8:40pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    He's my mate maybe he wanted to make me look good on my test.
    On that very note, do you think he was being overly co-operative with you ?

I've been really strict with my students in the past regarding gradings and where possible always had yudansha as uke(s) and preferably uke who are not known or overly familiar with those testing.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    - Musubi .. Connection with your uke. At times you had far too much distance between you and your uke whilst you were in the process of making your techniques, you've got to capitalise on kuzushi - keeping your uke off balance and you do this principally by maintaining contact with your hips through theirs.
    Can you please provide examples where my distance was too large? (Just a few, please)

- Atemi .. Yes I saw you making gestures and what I saw was typical of most aikido training however, regardless of how slow or basic you wish to break a technique down, KUZUSHI begins with atemi. Over emphasis what atemi you use and don't be stopped by uke putting his had up in front of his face - PUSH PAST IT and make him react accordingly.
    You are absolutely right I have been told this before and I will try my best.

- Awase .. you have to continually work on your ability to match your taisabaki with uke's momentum - be in the right place at the right time
    Does that mean I must start moving the moment Uke attacks? For example with Katadori techniques and Katatedori I waited a little for myself to settle in. That was wrong right?

- Hanmi .. polish your posture through a lot of hard work, the more fatigued you get, the worse your posture becomes, it's almost always the first aspect of what you train for which goes to rat **** when your gassing... Good solid body posture is the foundation of the technique you're looking to apply, if the foundation is weak, so will the technique.
    I understand, I will try harder.

- Kokyu .. So much more the just breathing but, co-ordinate your breathing to relate to the attack, and your awase and waza, in to receive, out when you apply.
    I understand what you mean, solid advice, thanks.

- Hara .. you look like a tall guy, lower your center of gravity slightly, this will stabilise your hanmi.
    I'm tall yeah, I was told I lean forward instead of bending my knees and sinking my weight in.

Overall for a middle senior kyu grading, that wasn't bad; I've seen much worse however there are aspects what you do that would greatly improve your aikido generally.
    Congrats on the grading.
    Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On that very note, do you think he was being overly co-operative with you ?

I've been really strict with my students in the past regarding gradings and where possible always had yudansha as uke(s) and preferably uke who are not known or overly familiar with those testing.
    I try to tell him to attack with intent and all that but he's just a small mellow guy.

I've done my 3rd Kyu test with a 140KG Uke (I'm 70KG) (he was 2nd Kyu) who could hurt by just letting his hand drop on me and whom I've not practiced with often. Just the luck of the draw lol.

I think, yes, this particular guy is co-operative. But in all honesty I don't think it would have mattered if I was with another Uke.

My teacher always advocates picking your uke a long time before the test and practicing the techniques for the test with them for a while and then doing them together.

I never pick an uke because I want to challenge myself.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 9:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you please provide examples where my distance was too large? (Just a few, please)
    Watch for yourself carefully during suwari waza and tachi waza application of osae waza (omote and ura) and you'll see lots of space between you and your uke, this gives them a lot of leverage if they so wanted to resist.

Does that mean I must start moving the moment Uke attacks? For example with Katadori techniques and Katatedori I waited a little for myself to settle in. That was wrong right?
    For me, at the grade you just took, I wouldn't want to be seeing static based techniqes, I'd be wanting to see the candidate 'offer' the shoulder (but not let uke actually seize it) this means you're on the move much earlier, it means you're not being entirely reactive to an attack which has (in part) acheived it's aim and, you can make more use of uke's momentum - rather than having to falsely generate it.

I was told I lean forward instead of bending my knees and sinking my weight in.
    Leaning forward compromises your hanmi and affords uke the opportunity to pull you in if they choose not to let go, I wouldn't lean but then, respectfully it's only my opinion as a sandan.

Thanks
    You're welcome
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 10/02/2011 9:13pm at .

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch for yourself carefully during suwari waza and tachi waza application of osae waza (omote and ura) and you'll see lots of space between you and your uke, this gives them a lot of leverage if they so wanted to resist.

For me, at the grade you just took, I wouldn't want to be seeing static based techniqes, I'd be wanting to see the candidate 'offer' the shoulder (but not let uke actually seize it) this means you're on the move much earlier, it means you're not being entirely reactive to an attack which has (in part) acheived it's aim and, you can make more use of uke's momentum - rather than having to falsely generate it.

Leaning forward compromises your hanmi and affords uke the opportunity to pull you in if they choose not to let go, I wouldn't lean but then, respectfully it's only my opinion as a sandan.

You're welcome
    I will try to work on the distance.

And also offering the shoulder and offering the hand, I was also told before that I shouldn't be doing static techniques anymore, but I want to perfect all techniques, I think one's mistakes are easily hidden in a dynamic situation, am I right in this?

I understand what you mean about leaning forward, you're right. I was also told before that I shouldn't lean forward but I guess I try to make up for having a short uke by leaning instead of dropping my center.

You seem to have trained extensively, may I ask why you stopped (you mentioned that earlier)?
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast