Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 1:28pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which is better: A Big Organization/Association or a small one?

Hey as some of you guys read my thread "how-mcdojoish" i said that my organization broke away from the ATA back in the 80s, and I was just wondering if you guys thought being in a really big organization like the ATA, WTF, or ITF is better than being in a smaller organization like mine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 1:46pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WayOfLife View Post
    Hey as some of you guys read my thread "how-mcdojoish" i said that my organization broke away from the ATA back in the 80s, and I was just wondering if you guys thought being in a really big organization like the ATA, WTF, or ITF is better than being in a smaller organization like mine.
    In what aspects. Define better?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 1:54pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh God, since I'm into torture why don't you enlighten us on this ATA break away org.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 3:18pm

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, I guess it really depends on what the organisation (irrespective of if it's large or small) is like, what they offer and the standards that they use.

I've been a member of TISKA (they are large and cover a few continents), the PKA (again large), the BCKA (UK only) and Ni-Sen Karate (which is based on Ticky Donovan's Ishinryu, not to be confused with Isshin Ryu) just to name a few over the years, as well as attending other large and small Martial Art associations (eg like the JKA and a couple of smaller MA clubs). And I've enjoyed each and every one.

I have also tried a couple of large (again international) and small (that are basically county/state wide - eg run one or two classes a week) clubs that I have disliked due to one reason or another. Whether it be for being sub-standard (imo), the art/the way that they were teaching didn't suit or the atmosphere was wrong (the feeling you get and can't explain).

So going back to your question, it doesn't really matter if the association/club is large or small - that would be generalising way too much. It's what they offer as a whole...

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 4:32pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the best of both if you can.

Our association is itself a member of our national governing body. We almost never deal with the main org. Our smaller association does that for us. At the same time, if we feel the need we still have direct access to the main org.

Both are generally very helpful, but dealing with a smaller organisation day to day is awesome.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies, sorry its taken so long to get back
    Omega Supreme, lol be a little more specific please, if you ask questions ill do my best to answer but just telling me to describe it is not very specific. I guess my original question was better in providing for students, keeping unity between schools, being recognized by people outside the organization, getting noticed, giving tournament opportunities and overall just making for a better martial arts experience.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2011 11:14pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the name of the organization that split away from the ATA; you know the one you belong (ed) to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    United Taekwondo, which we actually just split from Taekwondo America (because some people were passing high rank testing and passing when they didnt deserve to) so, basically the answer you want it Taekwondo America

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 9:37pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It went ATA to USTA(which became the ITA now Tiger Rock) to TKD America to what ever he joined.

The cover story of it is the when the ATA went away from Changhun(ITF) the USTA/ITA/Tiger Rock was formed to stay true to the original TKD. When the USTA changed the style TKD America came about and I guess it's the same for the latest incarnation.

The actual story is when the ATA started asked club owners for more money to be paid to the organization they started there own keep the sequence going.

To answer your question it doesn't matter a hill of beans which one your in because eventually one of two things will happen.

Option A, the new org dies and students have to crawl back to the old org and beg forgiveness and then become die hard followers of the org.

Option B. The new org succeeds and starts seeing new ways to make money which pisses someone off who can't partake and they go start their own org and so on and so on.

So to answer your question which is better, neither they both suck. Stay true to the art and follow the org that reflects the things about the art that you feel are the best. If you disagree then speak up if no one listens then maybe the problem is you. STFU and STFD because those people may have already gone through the BS before and are just looking to keep what they have.

Work in your school to be an example to others. Let them play their games and just work at getting better.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WayOfLife View Post
    United Taekwondo, which we actually just split from Taekwondo America (because some people were passing high rank testing and passing when they didnt deserve to) so, basically the answer you want it Taekwondo America
    In that case it's all crap and these organizations started because of pure whining ego.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast