Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 1:16pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for a good MMA place in Toronto...

Yeah I have no idea where to post this so I thought the general forum would be a good idea.

I'm basically looking for a good MMA gym to train out of in Toronto (preferably downtown). My eventual goal is to become an amateur fighter. I'm mainly a striker. Mainly looking to work on my wrestling, while learning more bjj slowly on the side.

I've been to a bunch of gyms so far -- MECCA (now Mecha...), which is a bit far away (I'm situated in Scarborough, go up to school at UofT) They've got good training and lots of crazy cool techniques, but something was missing.

I went to Openmat as well, they've got a great facility (clean, big, well-geared) and really enthusiastic teachers. It's very beginner friendly and I like how they just drill a few techniques over and over again so my slow brain can comprehend them. However their schedule doesn't really sync up with mine and apparently the cost STARTS at $950 for 6 months.

I'm currently about to try out Black Devil MMA. Any one heard of it? Any other suggestions or hook ups?

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 1:26pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try these, not sure about location in relation to you but check them out.

http://www.matadorbjj.com/

or

http://www.francobehring.org/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 3:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (knowing where gallantknight lives and goes to school...) Matador BJJ is way uptown, it's north of Toronto

Franco Behring -

Professor Shah Franco
    94 Laird Drive
    East York, Ontario, Canada
    M4G 3V2
    (416) 488-4334

That's by Eglinton and Leslie, kinda mid-way for you Gallantknight but they have a great team there with amateur and pro-fighters training there.

Open Mat BJJ - Do the month free, can't hurt. BUT THEY WON'T LET YOU ROLL UNTIL ABOUT 8 MONTHS OR THREE STRIPE WHITE BELT forget that hombres.
    Val Ostanov teaches the wrestling there, he's also experienced in SAMBO and get a BJJ brown from Omar Salvosa while he trained with him there.

Black Devil MMA - I used to train with Danny at Ultimate Martial Arts many years ago, I did not he recently made his own gym closer to where he lives downtown. He's had amateur Muay Thai fights and seems a pretty decent trainer for that as well but as far as I know he never had any grappling training in depth or MMA fights. Luigi Bianco teaches the wrestling there.

Luigi Bianco teaches the children and adult wrestling at Danforth and Broadview, his website should be this http://takedowns.us/

tl;dr - Stop going to your kung fu school, get at least a blue belt skill level in BJJ unless you have tons of wrestling.

We still have to connect, ping me on FB for mid-Oct would be good for me.

Edit: Here's the link for Toronto Wrestling Centre http://www.teamimpact.ca/?page_id=684
    Last edited by PizDoff; 9/30/2011 4:27pm at .
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    12/23/2011 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I decided to stay away from Black Devil MMA in Toronto, after the FALSE assertions ma

I decided to stay away from Black Devil MMA in Toronto, after the FALSE assertions made by it's representative. See below for SELF-explanatory details.

1) You mentioned on Saturday17December2011: "In terms of signing
    >> documents, when you come in you would have to sign a basic waiver, which
    >> I
    >> can forward to you tomorrow".
    >>
    >> My response:
    >> As yet, I have not received it from you. Please provide it to me along
    >> with any other referenced addendums that I am required to
    > sign.
    >>
    >>
    >> 2) You mentioned: "you can sign up for the Team Buy online if you're
    >> interested" AND "Team Buy going on which is $20 for 20 classes Again,
    >> you
    >> wouldn't have to sign anything."
    >>
    >> My response:
    >> (i) That is a conflicting statement. You are asking me to "sign up" and
    >> simultaneously mentioning "you wouldn't have to sign anything".
    >> (ii) Please provide me a copy of any and all documents that I am
    >> required
    >> to sign, including any referenced addendums.
    >>
    >>
    >> 3) You mentioned: "I really encourage you to come do a trial class, or
    >> several"
    >>
    >> My response:
    >> (i) How many free trial classes may I do, without incurring any costs or
    >> obligations?
    >> (ii) Am I required to sign anything before taking the trial classes or
    >> during the trial-period?
    >>
    >>

You mentioned: "You are entitled to one free trial class, either striking or grappling as I already stated"

My response:

(1) REVIEW YOUR ENTIRE communication BEFORE you make that statement.

(2) FIRST you mentioned " I really encourage you to come do a trial class, or several. They're free" ; i.e. SEVERAL and THEY'RE.

THEN you mentioned: "Officially, you can do one trial class without incurring cost or obligation. We're a pretty small gym, the owners are very easygoing and can usually bend the rules".

(3) Hence, "EITHER striking OR grappling" was never made CLEAR AT ALL, but left to ambiguity. At any rate, it is disappointing to find such a representative spokesperson of this organisation.

1) You mentioned: " I can't sit here and paraphrase our legal documents to you over email."

My response: I have NOT asked you to paraphrase your legal document over the email.

2) You mentioned: "The schedule is on the website, as I also already stated"

My response: The website schedule does NOT mention your holiday schedule, since several establishments have a different schedule until 03January2012.

3) You mentioned: "You can have a copy of the waiver, which is self-contained, ONCE YOU COME INTO THE GYM, as I already stated".

My response: NOWHERE in your prior communications did you state that I can HAVE a copy of the waiver OR what I am required to sign. Review what you stated in your prior communications FIRST, BEFORE you make that assertion.

4) You mentioned: "You clearly have questions that I can't anticipate".

My response: The question I had initially asked a week ago, was NEVER answered. I CANNOT speak for your "anticipation" nor imagination. Therefore, I do NOT see HOW "CLEARLY" you can make that invalid assumption.

5) You mentioned: "I'm talking in circles and repeating myself"

My response: That is your prerogative and right, IF you CHOOSE to talk in circles and repeat yourself. I have NEITHER asked you to repeat yourself NOR asked you to keep "talking in circles".

Posted On:
    12/23/2011 6:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by m3 View Post
    I decided to stay away from Black Devil MMA in Toronto, after the FALSE assertions made by it's representative. See below for SELF-explanatory details.

1) You mentioned on Saturday17December2011: "In terms of signing
    >> documents, when you come in you would have to sign a basic waiver, which
    >> I
    >> can forward to you tomorrow".
    >>
    >> My response:
    >> As yet, I have not received it from you. Please provide it to me along
    >> with any other referenced addendums that I am required to
    > sign.
    >>
    >>
    >> 2) You mentioned: "you can sign up for the Team Buy online if you're
    >> interested" AND "Team Buy going on which is $20 for 20 classes Again,
    >> you
    >> wouldn't have to sign anything."

>> My response:
    >> (i) That is a conflicting statement. You are asking me to "sign up" and
    >> simultaneously mentioning "you wouldn't have to sign anything".
    >> (ii) Please provide me a copy of any and all documents that I am
    >> required
    >> to sign, including any referenced addendums.
    If it's a simple matter of signals being crossed over what exactly is to be "signed" (IE a trial-class waiver versus any kind of contract), that should be relatively easy to clear up via face-to-face meeting. E-mailing has its uses, but also its drawbacks.

> 3) You mentioned: "I really encourage you to come do a trial class, or
    >> several"
    >>
    >> My response:
    >> (i) How many free trial classes may I do, without incurring any costs or
    >> obligations?
    >> (ii) Am I required to sign anything before taking the trial classes or
    >> during the trial-period?
    Simply ensure--again, face-to-face if necessary--what exactly must be signed. It'll at least be a waiver.

You mentioned: "You are entitled to one free trial class, either striking or grappling as I already stated"

My response:

(1) REVIEW YOUR ENTIRE communication BEFORE you make that statement.

(2) FIRST you mentioned " I really encourage you to come do a trial class, or several. They're free" ; i.e. SEVERAL and THEY'RE.

THEN you mentioned: "Officially, you can do one trial class without incurring cost or obligation. We're a pretty small gym, the owners are very easygoing and can usually bend the rules".
    Right. So expect one free class, no more. If you get any others, it's a bonus.

(3) Hence, "EITHER striking OR grappling" was never made CLEAR AT ALL, but left to ambiguity.
    Okay, many MMA gyms have n00bs start from either striking (IE MT) OR grappling (IE BJJ). The entire MMA ruleset, at many clubs, comes later.

3) You mentioned: "You can have a copy of the waiver, which is self-contained, ONCE YOU COME INTO THE GYM, as I already stated".
    Again, E-Mailing will have its limits. I know little about Black Devil MMA, but I do recognise that there are limitations to what I'd learn by remote means. Visit the gym. If you like what you see, fine.
    If not, train elsewhere.

Also, two subway stops west of there on the Bloor Line, you'll find Josh Rapports' widely-well-regarded Toronto MMA club.

As for Shah Franco, his Karate teacher (Takemasa Okuyama) is my teacher. I've met Franco, he has a workmanlike attitude and his club has a solid, well-deserved reputation.

Again, though, sometimes you just have to physically go to a club to see if it offers what you're looking for.

Good hunting.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 12/23/2011 6:48pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/23/2011 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to UofT you can go down to Ossington and got to TorontoBJJ

There's also http://www.linmartialarts.com/ and frankly a **** load of places all over this city.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 10:11am

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey M3, those e-mails are the perfect example of why you shouldn't use them. Pick the phone and call a club, or better yet, visit. It's too easy to mistake someone's tone and then get bent all out of shape and send a pissy reply. Then everything gets bent out of shape and spirals into the toilet.

Quite frankly, I won't tell you where I train because I don't want the attitude.

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 4:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    If you're going to UofT you can go down to Ossington and got to TorontoBJJ.
    Why didn't I think of that?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 10:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Why didn't I think of that?
    Well you didn't say TorontoBJJ! :P

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 11:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Well you didn't say TorontoBJJ! :P
    The gym has both "Toronto BJJ" and "Toronto MMA" as title signs.

It might be a bit less confusing if Josh @ co. chose one or the other--say, "Toronto MMA" as a title sign, then underneath that listing what they offer (BJJ, MT, Sub-Wrestling, Boxing and Judo, as well as full-MMA-ruleset training).

Anyway, no biggie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast