Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 12:59pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips for stamina; maybe a routine?

Okay, so it's been a few months since I've started Muay Thai training and it seems to be going pretty smoothly. I train 3x a week (Mon, Wed, Thurs) for 1.5hours a session. Classes are tiny so I get a lot of 1on1 time with my trainer. I'm still learning the basics, but they're feeling smoother and more natural and while my balance is still generally ****, I have moments of clairvoyance [I think I used that right] and manage to actually pivot AND not fall down at the same time. I'm feeling increasingly confident in my ability to carry out what my trainer asks me to do.

Except breath. I am pretty fat. Lost nearly 20kg since coming to Thailand and still technically overweight by the Online BMI Meters. My stamina, which has always been ****, is really letting me down in training and not allowing me to make the most of each class as while I can push it and finish nearly every exercise, by the end of a lot I am gasping and wheezing and flailing like a little girl (having lost all form and technique ages ago) and it gets worse with each subsequent round.

I've been pretty good with keeping up a 3-day a week running schedule of about 4km now (Usually Mon, Wed, Fri or something close to that) in the mornings before work and my eating habits are fine (I'm eating 3 meals a day, few snacks as of a while and the meals are usually small-portioned rice or curries). But at the end of each session my trainer will look at me and say "Still fat, still weak".

So what I'm getting at is I need a hand. I need to loose some more weight (Started at 100kg, now 82kg, goal somewhere around 70 or below) and build up my stamina (most important) in the ring. I've been thinking about maybe increasing the days I run and adding things like more jump rope outside of muay thai class and sprinting but not completely confident in my ability to make the most of it (aside from JUST DO MORE OF EVERYTHING RAWR).

I do NOT have access to the boxing gym outside of class time and work from 10am-7pm with runs coming before and boxing after. I have access to a sports stadium/track with a pool and weightroom and basic stuff like that.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    Last edited by WorldWarCheese; 9/30/2011 1:00pm at . Reason: Overweight, not obese. I beat that one a while back.

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hill sprints

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha oh **** I can't believe you said that. While there are precious few hills here (actually only one) I am going there tomorrow to try out hill sprints. If it goes well I was planning on adding it as a regular weekend "thing" (so once a week, it's not practical for me to do any more, sadly).

And my roommate said he trained hill when he did MT up in Chiang Mai a few years ago (one of those intensive 6month camps and all)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 2:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hsing i, FMA's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cycle everywhere

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A possibility I might toy with soon; possibly after October vacation. I have a bike (well, my roommate has an extra one) and while it's a single-geared piece of ****, it'll at least get me from place to place and many of the teachers at my school already bike as their main or only means of transportation... (Hell, if I ever get my Phantom fixed for when I need a motorbike I could even sell my scooter for a nice gear-y bike for city-travel but that might be getting a bit ahead of myself...)

Both good ideas, keep 'em coming please.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    give up alcohol and tobacco (if you use them) and rest properly between workouts.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problems there. I'm not a big drinker and I haven't smoked since Uni... well, aside from the occasional joint :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 11:20pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=WorldWarCheese;2610903]Except breath. .... my eating habits are fine (I'm eating 3 meals a day, few snacks as of a while and the meals are usually small-portioned rice or curries). I need to loose some more weight ...... and build up my stamina (most important) in the ring.QUOTE]

How many food calories a day do you consume? How much rest/sleep/recovery time do you take each day?

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 4:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure on calories. Typical daily food intake is something like this:
    Breakfast (7AM) - Glass of Milk and a Pastry

Lunch (12PM) - Plate of rice with chicken or pork. Plate size is about the size of a size 10 (US) shoe (not in height, but in like a flat surface. With water (plenty of water, it's fucking hot here). Once a week this is accompanied by an ice cream

Dinner (7PM) - Rice or noodles of same portioning as lunch.

And I get between 6 and 8 hours of sleep every night. I do MT on Mon, Wed, Thurs (as stated before) and usually run 3 days a week with 1 day breaks -weekends.

Speaking of weekends, I did hill sprints today (not many, just a feeler for the terrain and exercise) and felt great. It's the same type of exhaustion I get from muay thai and I'm probably going to add it as a Saturday thing with maybe a light jog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 2:11pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you track your daily water intake? Not just total - times and amounts?

Has 6-8 hours always been your normal routine? Have you tracked your rest periods by the week since you've been in Thailand?
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 10/02/2011 2:18pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast