Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 1:50am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by progressivetkd View Post
    ...Also, if you stop training in THAT martial art but you still train in others...
    So if someone stops training in an art that they're a black belt in (say in judo, a grapping art) and start up kickboxing, TKD or karate (a striking art) where they would be a white belt, then it's ok if they say that they are a black belt?

How very generous of you...

Or what about if they go from a MA system that uses belt to a MA system that doesn't (eg not all kickboxing clubs/associations/organisations use a belt system)?

Quote Originally Posted by progressivetkd View Post
    ....I mean that those who can't train or train regularly due to age/injuries are definitely right to consider themselves black belts for life...
    And what about those that work two jobs? Have one or more kids to look after? Who can't afford the training at the dojo/dojang/gym?

Are they second class black belts who didn't earn their stripes?

To be honest, what it sounds like is that you're confusing rank with some sort of "licence" or "membership". Either that or you haven't thought this through.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 3:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He and some of the others are to slow to figure out a thing called life. What interest you today may not interest you tomorrow.

An asshole claiming deadly skills is not equal to someone who stops training for whatever reason. It is called over generalization and pretty much everyone in this thread has been pissed when it is applied to them or their art.

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 7:07am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i didn't know kickboxing have belts, i want an albino crocodile leather one.
    But seriously though, i still think having a black belt while you are still young, fit and active can be more stressful. People will expect you to be this fighting machine, and some will undoubtedly challenge you.
    What's it like? loosing to someone whom isn't a black?
    i know whenever i beat a black belt let alone a double black, they always excuse it somehow, that i myself are at least black or something because of my years in boxing and kickboxing (even if its MMA rules and we grapple..go figuer). I have to confess that most of them are doing stuff like jjj or some sort of karate, no BJJ or kyokoshine. While i did judo, there wasn't even one time that i was able to win against a black belt, it was just a matter of time before i tapped or slammed. I guess its much easier to grade in less competitive MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 7:19am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread really shouldnt be in the TMA forums. Evidence: Erezb has started posting.

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 10:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't take rank from someone who earned. Even if you don't agree with their skill. To me it's worse to hear someone say "yea I'm a brown belt, I could have got my Black Belt but I didn't want to register my hands and feet as deadly weapons"

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prehaps it is poor taste to bring up JMA in the KMA forum, but pretty much every n00b that has come to our club claiming some junior judo experiance has pretty much remeber all thier past skills after an hour or two reaquainting themselves with the mats. i dont know if it is the method of teaching judo, but it seems to stick
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 10:58am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Prehaps it is poor taste to bring up JMA in the KMA forum, but pretty much every n00b that has come to our club claiming some junior judo experiance has pretty much remeber all thier past skills after an hour or two reaquainting themselves with the mats. i dont know if it is the method of teaching judo, but it seems to stick
    40ish blue belt rejoined after 10ish years recently. After the first session he seemed to just get good.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 11:35am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    i didn't know kickboxing have belts, i want an albino crocodile leather one.
    But seriously though, i still think having a black belt while you are still young, fit and active can be more stressful. People will expect you to be this fighting machine, and some will undoubtedly challenge you.
    What's it like? loosing to someone whom isn't a black?
    i know whenever i beat a black belt let alone a double black, they always excuse it somehow, that i myself are at least black or something because of my years in boxing and kickboxing (even if its MMA rules and we grapple..go figuer). I have to confess that most of them are doing stuff like jjj or some sort of karate, no BJJ or kyokoshine. While i did judo, there wasn't even one time that i was able to win against a black belt, it was just a matter of time before i tapped or slammed. I guess its much easier to grade in less competitive MA.
    I have to confess your posts get dumber and more off topic every day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 11:51am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    i didn't know kickboxing have belts...
    Not every kickboxing association implements the belt system, the PKA and BCKA are an example of just two associations that have.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I have to confess your posts get dumber and more off topic every day.
    lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 8:36pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has the rare honor of offending me. I'm a blackbelt in TKD, and haven't been to a TKD school since mine closed it's doors 5 years ago. It was the first martial art I ever trained in when I was a kid. I reached red belt before we moved and I got into Isshunryu. 16 years later I got back into TKD and had to start over, even though I was a higher rank in the ryu than both instructors who were running the school at the time in TKD and I verified my redbelt. Steve, the guy who ran the school, didn't have the time to be there any more, but it still followed his rules. So back to white I went, and back through the ranks. I'm not going to refer to myself as an ex-TKD black belt just because some uppity little girl wants to whine about people not fitting the description of what she thinks real martial artists should be or be doing.

IIF and Kintanon said it best. Get over yourself.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast