Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 1:50pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    Juice? You must practise a soft style of aikido: http://www.fudebakudo.com/en/gallery_ukemi.html
    I did in those days. Now I've stepped up the hard stuff... Shandy and Malibu.
    In separate glasses though, I'm not a pervert.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 2:16pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shandy is my tipple of choice since I like beer, but get drunk too easily and need the re-hydration since I'm usually coming from training when I'm in the bar.

Although not strictly about falling and tumbling, the following story is about ukemi in my mind:

I got onto the train on my way home from college for the weekend. There was only one seat left so I put my bags away and took it. Before I even sat down I felt uncomfortable about both the passenger beside me and the one across the table, who looked to be travelling companions.
    As the journey progressed and the standing room was filled I felt that the passenger beside me was making inappropriate contact. After a while of him encroaching more and more on my personal space I ended up with my back turned to him, my feet out in the aisle. Every time I moved away from the contact he expanded to fill the space with his legs coming into half of the seat I was sitting on and his arms spread out over nearly all the table. There was no space left to give without standing up completely so I kept my nearest forearm in contact with him as a fence to give the rest of my body some room. I half read my book but remained half on guard.
    He looked like he was dozing off to sleep but I still felt wary, it seemed more like someone acting at sleeping than actually sleeping. As his hand dropped from the table, onto where my groin would have been, I stood up and pivoted in the aisle to face him. His eyes opened and he saw I was standing with one hand cocked in a fist and the other one pinning the offending arm to the seat. The expression was more of someone being caught in the act than being woken up from their sleep. I instinctively said sorry and when he withdrew I took my seat again. For the remainder of the journey he kept a more appropriate distance.

TL;DR Some weirdo tried to cop a feel on the train, but got out of the way and redirected his arm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 3:15pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wish i remembered my ukemi last night.

I was pissed up coming out of the pub fell straight out of the door and smashed my head on the floor then threw up over myself. Epic fail.

Woke up freezing cold covered in sick, broke my phone and have a big cut on the back of my head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 4:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post

Woke up freezing cold covered in sick, broke my phone and have a big cut on the back of my head.
    This sums up the average night out for most Norwegians to be honest.

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 9:08pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was drinking and eating at Nations' giant hamburgers and noticed this guy on the ground and this other guy kicking him so hard he was flying up against the window. Because I was drunk, I suddenly became a superhero and decided to get out there to break it up.

These are things that would never occur to me sober, as I would be thinking "did the guy deserve it, is someone armed, why do I really give a **** unless someone is about to die, etc. etc.".

I push the door open, lose my balance, and do a perfect shoulder roll across the concrete and come up on my feet in a fighting stance.

One of the guys goes "Whoa, he must know Kung Fu" and they wandered off.

Thank god for krotty.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    10/01/2011 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can only conclude they must have been completely smashed too, because seriously, who as EVER seen someone coming flying into a fight and do a shoulder roll in order to scare off an attacker? The only thing I would think is "Wow, that drunk idiot took Judo".
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About 20 years ago I was jogging at night in an area adjacent to some tennis courts. I ran smack into a low fence that was invisible in the dark. My momentum flipped me straight over the fence into a perfect handstand and roll-out, then back up into a jog without breaking stride.

Given the HUGE social and economic cost of slip and fall-related accidents (sport, home, industry, etc.), IMO it's a crying shame that every kid isn't taught how to fall.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 6:32pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    <snip>

Given the HUGE social and economic cost of slip and fall-related accidents (sport, home, industry, etc.), IMO it's a crying shame that every kid isn't taught how to fall.
    I offered to my family to teach them how to fall without breaking themselves (simple squat and half back roll) as an investment for their old age. So far only one uncle has taken me up on it. If I ever have kids I'll make sure they can fall properly.

Posted On:
    10/02/2011 6:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    Wish i remembered my ukemi last night.

I was pissed up coming out of the pub fell straight out of the door and smashed my head on the floor then threw up over myself. Epic fail.
    If its any consolation, one time I was so battered and on my way to meet up with a slut, when I had a 'balance issue'.

I headbutted the pavement and ended up bleeding badly from my forehead, so bad the doorman wouldn't let me into the pub and I had to wait outside for the slut to leave the pub so we could bowl back to my place.

Luckily the wait, walk and head injury sobered me up enough to pile her in properly.

Had to go to training the next day with a massive scab on my head and tied and failed to wrap it up with gauze and tape. Lost the wrapping, scab and bled everywhere.

Jokingly told people I'd been in a fight with an Arnie look alike and he'd come off worse.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 7:53pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    everybody falls down.. falling skills will keep you good.

In my line of work falling down happens in zero visability.. falling fully loaded up with gear can be tough. Falling with gear, in zero visability, and with 20 years of judo/jutsu and sambo... priceless.....

In all seriousness besides general fitness and condition, falling are likley the most practical skill set that anyone can have... Everyone falls down..
    Aaron
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast