Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 7:43pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ukemi? Ukemi!

I have slipped on ice living in Alaska more than once (and twice in one night in the same spot!). I've fallen on mud, turf, bricks, and off of moving bicycles. Ukemi is what has saved me from breaking things aside from my pride. I did a wonderful pratfall on a frozen creek, too. Both feet in the air, loud kiai in the form of "****!", and left a dent in the ice. But no bruises or cracked nugget.

The worst, though was when I got volunteered to be the uke in a dan-grade hapkido exam. I don't know which one, just up there above shodan. An hour and a half of being told to grab tori or punch at tori, and being slammed in new and interesting ways I had never seen before. I had no idea it was coming, either, I just thought I would be going to a rare Saturday class. I got sold out by my own mother.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 7:51pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best breakfall story happened my first week of college. I was late to class and was running full speed with an untied shoe lace. Needless to say I tripped on my shoelace and broke out into a very nice forward roll. Had I not known how to breakfall I probably would have wrecked my face on the sidewalk and looked like more of a tool than I already did.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My greatest breakfalls usually happen when I'm piss drunk; I'm three sheets to the wind, and I'm gonna learn you people some goddamn Judo! You want a demonstration, do you? TO THE PARKING LOT!

Sadly, I am much, much better at Judo when I'm so intoxicated I can barely walk.
    Smoke crack and worship Satan.

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 10:03pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MY best was taking a dive off the back patio when I used to live in the mountains. My backyard consisted of a near vertical hillside that went down 60+ feet. I was testing this pull up tower thing I had gotten for my birthday and while doing pull ups on it I realized it was not sitting flush to the ground and it pitched over the side with me holding onto it. I had a quick choice to make dive away and have a farther drop or ride this big metal death trap down the hill. I chose to leap away and fall a good 30+ feet down before I actually hit the hillside. Landed with a roll and then had to leap and roll to the left to get out of the way of the tower as it came crashing down past me. Somehow I didn't have a scratch despite the large number of bushes, trees and rocks. Damned lucky + good ukemi.

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 10:20pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My kiddie Judo meant my first broken bone was at 25 years old, not through want of opportunity.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 10:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best Ukemi story was when I was rollerblading through my old neighborhood, was going full speed down a hill when I hit a manhole cover and tumbled, did a full forward roll and slid a few feet. Ended up with just some scrapes on my arm and leg instead of a fatal head trauma since I wasn't wearing a helmet.
    The best part was that there were a bunch of kids watching, so I had to get up and walk it off like it was no big deal, cause y'know, who wants to look like a tool in front of a bunch of little kids?

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 11:58pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Best Ukemi story was when I was rollerblading through my old neighborhood, was going full speed down a hill when I hit a manhole cover and tumbled, did a full forward roll and slid a few feet. Ended up with just some scrapes on my arm and leg instead of a fatal head trauma since I wasn't wearing a helmet.
    The best part was that there were a bunch of kids watching, so I had to get up and walk it off like it was no big deal, cause y'know, who wants to look like a tool in front of a bunch of little kids?
    You were wearing rollerblades, it was already too late.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 12:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I live on a cul-de-sac where there's a whole pack of them. You think they're your friends until one day you bite it on their skateboard, and the next thing you know, you're picking your teeth off the asphalt while they point and laugh.

The only thing worse than that is when they punch you full force in the testicles and then commence to laugh hysterically. It's something of a cruel joke that they are designed by nature to be at the perfect testicle punching height for three interminable years.

Back on topic, as far as ukemi goes, the forward roll has saved my butt on more than one occasion. I've also back rolled out of danger once or twice.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 1:42am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BearHammer View Post
    nice story. Wish I had known ukemi when I was 14; fell off a skateboard and down a steep ass road for about twenty feet on my elbows. Although my elbow strikes might not cut so good today lol.

on another note, now I'm curious about your friend who went on to do TKD. Did he stick with it? Did he learn to fight? Has he fallen off of a ladder or mountain with less than desired results?!
    He promoted a few times, I think to yellow with one stripe or something. He quit after that. We sparred in my back yard once, he didn't like me charging him so he couldn't kick me. After a back knuckle to his head, and a punch to his chest, he quit once he was able to breath again. I felt bad, later, after seeing one of his classes. The intensity of sparring was much weaker. We didn't have to wear protective gear for one, and if you didn't block or evade, you got knotted up. First three times I broke my nose was in Kajukenbo class. I was his best friend though, so he didn't need to fight. He had me do it for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2011 4:55am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    On stairs you should roll not break fall.
    My favorite sempai's ukemi story:
    She lived in a 2 stroy house that only had a light switch at the bottom of the stairs. She'd gone to bed but decided she'd like another crumpet (she's English). She got up and tried to walk down the dark stairs with the empty plate in her hand. She missed a step and knew she was about to fall. Mid trip she flung the plate at the wall and rolled down the stairs breaking the bannisters.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast