Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do I sound like "that guy"?

I tried out a beginner boxing class at a gym that by reputation caters to everyone from serious fighters down to regular people looking to get into shape. We did conditioning and technique work. So far so great. Didn't see any sparring going on. Maybe it's not appropriate for a noobie class. But there were some people there who were obviously not noobs. Anyway looking for clarification I sent this email to the head instructor (not the guy who was teaching the class)

I checked out your beginner class. Had lots of fun. But I didn't see
    any sparring.
    Does it happen in the beginner class?
    How long do people usually have to train before you let them spar?

He hasn't replied. Just wondering if it is facepalm worthy or something.

It's totally possible he's just too busy to answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 6:09pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever watched the original Karate Kid?

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 6:18pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beginner boxing is probably geared towards an audience which needs to be slowly introduced to the wonderful and exciting world of being punched in the face.

Besides, you should be getting the fundamentals down 2,000,000% before throwing a punch at another person anyway. Then you go back and practice those fundamentals 3,000,000%.

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 6:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    Have you ever watched the original Karate Kid?
    I tried but my stomach was too weak

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Beginner boxing is probably geared towards an audience which needs to be slowly introduced to the wonderful and exciting world of being punched in the face.

Besides, you should be getting the fundamentals down 2,000,000% before throwing a punch at another person anyway. Then you go back and practice those fundamentals 3,000,000%.
    but but bullshido says if you're not sparring within a few months it's bullsheeet. But seriously I didn't expect to spar in my first class, but I was a bit surprised to see none.

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 6:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given that you really shouldn't randori in your first Judo lesson, except perhaps with a dan grade as an exemplar that this **** works.

I was pleasantly surprised when I started Thai Boxing that we weren't supposed to spar, it was just pad work and technique. Coming from a Judo background and as a coach I could appreciate the holding back on sparring and concentrating on technique.

In the MMA classes where everyone got thrown together, I enjoyed throwing haymakes and being a spastic with the striking, but didn't learn much outside of the one on ones with the Thai boxing coach, who I traded Judo takedown secrets with for striking skillz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:01pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it was about 2 months before I had my first sparring session. It fairly nerve wracking so I wouldn't be so rushed to get in the ring and even then I actually start out with fairly light sparring until moving to more intensive ring work fairly quick. I can see getting into the ring too quickly as being very off putting for newer recruits especially if they're not completely dead set on boxing.

Just really focus on your footwork and don't rush it is my recommendation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:12pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been there?

Sparring doesn't happen at ours until you have done a decent amount of padwork and bagwork which usually takes up to two to three months. Anyways, there is no rush. Everyone can start sparring in their first lesson, but they will just end up being used as a human punching bag. I rather take a longer period of time before starting but actually have an idea of what to do in the ring :P

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:30pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, you need to be upfront with your intentions. Want to spar? Fucking spar. Nobody taking you up on the offer? Punch a ************. Any ************. Punch them in the ear. Dirty box, throw in the elbows. These fucks are in a boxing class and don't want to spar? You need to teach some dumb fucks a much needed lesson in the art of awesome, WITH YOUR FISTS.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to a kind of oldschool boxing gym that has designated days for sparring. You're not really supposed to show up unless invited.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I tried out a beginner boxing class at a gym that by reputation caters to everyone from serious fighters down to regular people looking to get into shape. We did conditioning and technique work. So far so great. Didn't see any sparring going on. Maybe it's not appropriate for a noobie class. But there were some people there who were obviously not noobs. Anyway looking for clarification I sent this email to the head instructor (not the guy who was teaching the class)

I checked out your beginner class. Had lots of fun. But I didn't see
    any sparring.
    Does it happen in the beginner class?
    How long do people usually have to train before you let them spar?

He hasn't replied. Just wondering if it is facepalm worthy or something.

It's totally possible he's just too busy to answer.
    If that was your first class and a beginner one at that then you aren't going to sparr for a little while. There is a lot to cover. How to properly throw a punch. How to punch in combination, head movement, body movement, and most importantly footwork. All which will not be covered in your first beginner class. Now if you are more seasoned then say so and they might let you spar after an evaluation period. I have seen too many times someone comes in to a gym and says they can box then get in the ring to spar and we are stoping and picking them up every 5 seconds.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast