Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa (Canada)
    Posts
    287
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Settle An Argument For Me: Kosen Judo

    Is it a different style/genre of Judo?

    OR

    Is it normal Judo being played with a different set of rules?

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is this handy thing called the search function.

    It will take you to wonderful threads like this one:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81130
    Then you don't have to worry about resurrecting a dead horse.

  3. #3
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    Is it normal Judo being played with a different set of rules?
    One does not play Judo!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa (Canada)
    Posts
    287
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eep! One does not simply walk into the Japanese Martial Arts Forum!

    Thanks for the link! Very informative.

  5. #5
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,512
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    One does not play Judo!
    That's a whole different argument. Suffice to say I disagree with you, play is a perfectly acceptable term.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa (Canada)
    Posts
    287
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the risk of being told to use the search function again, what is the verb one should use when saying that one engages in Judo training or competition?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    One does not play Judo!
    Yikes. You'd better not go to Japan.

    It's said that way all the time over there...

    ...along with "Do you play skiing?" and other phrases regarding recreational activities.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    192
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    At the risk of being told to use the search function again, what is the verb one should use when saying that one engages in Judo training or competition?
    Why not just say "I train judo"? That's what I do.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,469
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    That's a whole different argument. Suffice to say I disagree with you, play is a perfectly acceptable term.
    Glad you said it and not me.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa (Canada)
    Posts
    287
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Why not just say "I train judo"? That's what I do.
    Fair enough but that wasn't the question.

    Let me put it this way:

    A boxer boxes, a wrestler wrestles, a professional hockey player plays hockey and a judoka ___________ .

    Fill in the blank.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO