Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No Toe Judo

got my first Judo related injury last night. Yaay!
    :IamDisappointed:
    I broke my pinkie toe or maybe just dislocated it, trying to do an O uchi gari during randori (with shitty technique). I ended up kicking uke in the shin. I looked down a few minutes later and noticed my toe was on lean.

After telling me about how he's probably broken his about 20+ times, Coach advised me to just tape it up and give it 2-3 weeks w plenty of ice. Surprisingly, he and my GF said the same about going to the doc. "They'll just do the same thing and tape it up."

I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 on recovery. I'm wondering what I can get away with training wise because 2 months is a bit much.

/spastic rant-Dammit I just started Judo ffs!/end rant

I figure I will probably get in a lot of weight training in the meantime, and hopefully still work MT a bit, albeit mostly w punching. Any other training suggestions are welcome.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've broken both my pinky toes in judo, more than once.

just tape it up and get back on the mat.

pro tip: pre-buddy-tape your pinky toes before judo, it helps avoid breaking them again in the future. i don't know about yours, but mine stick out a little bit now so they get caught more easily.

i'm the only one i know who does this, but when my sensei noticed my toes always being taped, he asked, and once i explained why, he said "smart" and pointed out my idea to the rest of the dojo.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ice up, tape up, man up.

Pro tip, when you tape your toes up, tape the sides of the two toes you're going to tape together before tapping them together, otherwise they rub and chafe like a bitch.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh one more thing: when you look down, and notice that your toe is now bent out at a severe angle, but the pain hasn't taken hold yet, pop it back into place and buddy tape it *before* the adrenaline wears off.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2011 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome guys. Thanks for the pro tips. I'll be back in there tomorrow with the mummy foot.