223773 Bullies, 3887 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spike to counter program UFC with....UFC

Ah irony....It seems the comedic lordz of the universe owed us one, after Zuffa bought up Strikeforce. The comedy Gods present...

Spike will air “Dos Santos vs. Velasquez: Unleashed” series of shows. as Fox’s inaugural UFC event is set to start....that event being...yep, "Dos Santos vs Velasquez".

Spike owns the broadcast rights to the UFC library through 2012 (unless Zuffa buys them back, which it's said it won't).

So the kings of counter-programming, Zuffa, are now getting more than an athletic supporter full of: goes-around-comes-around.

The twist is, Spike can't air another promotion's fights unless Zuffa does buy back the broadcast rights. Luckily for them, as they and everyone else has been reminded so many times, the UFC is the biggest and baddest.

So now, during one of their most ambitious tests as a growing company, Zuffa will compete with....Zuffa. Personally, I'd rather see old fights of an EPIC nature, than the UFC undercard, as I can't afford PPV. Thanks to Zuffa's penchant for pulling fight footage from youtube....there are many many young fans who will likely jump over to Spike to watch or rewatch EPIC fights, and then hop on over to Fox for the main event.

Bullies...weigh in.

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ufc gets more like wwe every day, I'm surprised Dana white isn't related to Vince macmann.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should do a series like HBO Boxing, where they follow both the fighters for the weeks leading up to the card and show their training and general life *stuff* they deal with along the way.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob, your bias against the UFC is quite showing. Hey, I'm critical of them too, but is Spike really the struggling "victim"?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 7:50pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, better than a solid kick to the groin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

:)

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob, your bias against the UFC is quite showing. Hey, I'm critical of them too, but is Spike really the struggling "victim"?
    I openly dislike some of Zuffa's business practices. They've been counter-programming their competition for years, and in general played hardball with everyone, often to the detriment of the sport. This is just an extension of their attitude, coming back at them.

Spike doesn't have to be the 'victim'. The point is, the UFC has been bossing around everyone, and leaning on their vendors, their fighters, other leagues and whatnot. This reciprocation has nothing to do with me, other than I'll be enjoying the material Spike will be airing. This is a win for the fans.

It's not required to be a huge WBO, WBC etc fan to enjoy boxing, and likewise, it's not necessary for fans to love the UFC brass, in order to support the fighters. Hell, many of the fighters are at odds with the promotion.

I'm a huge fan of the sport of mma, but it's not mandated that I love Zuffa. They act like they're the only one's with any pull, and everyone else can suck it....this, as I've stated repeatedly will bite them in the ass, and it's starting to.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 9/29/2011 3:52pm at .

On hiatus

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 8:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the sport of mma, but it's not mandated that I love Zuffa. They act like they're the only one's with any pull, and everyone else can suck it....this, as I've stated repeatedly will bite them in the ass, and it's starting to.
    Care to give an example?

Also, I'm saying this in case this will turn into a serious thread: I make a difference between Zuffa's practices and Dana's antics.

Will get into it if you care.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

:)

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Care to give an example?
    I did, with this article. They're likely going to be competing against their own footage, for their Fox debut. Rumor has it, that Spike plands to counter-program all of the UFC on Fox events.

Spike possibly wants to bring Bellator on-board, but can't untill 2013, unless there's a renegotiation. In lieu of that, they are going to air tons of UFC footage...which is fine with me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope they air some of the really early UFC stuff. I personally think it is funny, and I'm glad that Zuffa is getting some competition...with it's self! The UFC has enjoyed swooping in and overpowering smaller organizations. I understand that Dana and Zuffa are not the same, but as far as I'm concerned, they are.

I remember when there was a fight coming on, I don't remember what the org name was, M1 maybe? Fedor was fighting, and Josh Barnet fought Ivel I believe. I remember it distinctly because I competed in a BJJ tournament the same day. Well, the org had planned the fight for a while and then the UFC came in an counter programed a free UFC fight on the same night. I was pissed. Luckily, my cousin had DVR and recorded the UFC fight which we watched the next morning.

So any chance that Zuffa or the UFC will not get total world domination, is good in my book!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for those of us who could care less about Zuffa or White's business practices this is great news. Twice the UFC, Bellator, Strikeforce, and all of HD Nets Friday and Saturday programming plus youtube vids all one has time to watch is fighting which is fine by me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast