Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 6:47am

Style: G-B BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stream + training to use it effectively seems to be the way to go. It seems to be the least affected by chaotic elements, and Murphy's law pretty much states that the wind will be blowing when you have to use the stuff. It probably would be a good idea to experience the "backblast" from whatever you are using, so that it will have less effect on you being able to use your weapon effectively.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 9:16am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to take into consideration all the non-canister types too. I've seen small pistols that are CO2 driven that are extremely accurate and deliver either gel or stream hard enough that it hurts to get hit with it, let alone the chem reaction.

Also, ray guns apparently:

There's some that are like a palm pistol too. Kimber makers this thingy:

Which uses a chemical propellant (blanks) to launch glops of irritant at foes.

Whatever all that's worth.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa, that orange one looks like it'd be right at home in a steampunk costume.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to agree with the guy who suggested foam for indoor use. What I'm issued is Sabre Red Crossfire (looking at it now). It says Law Enforcement unit, so I'm not sure if that has to do with the size of the canister or not.

We do train with inert sprays during D.T. training, and I'll tell ya, getting it out of the holder situating it so, #1 you're not about to spray yourself, #2 you've got the correct finger on the tab, all while an assailant is rushing you is a pain. In reference to the finger bit... it actually does take some pressure to depress the tab enough to deploy the spray, and if there is a thin plastic piece to be broken (if the can has never been used), it can take even more pressure to deploy. That's why you should try some out to see whether you'd press the tab with a thumb, or forefinger.

As LE, we typically will have the stuff out already before getting on scene of a potential fight situation. Usually walking up to where we're going shaking it like a spray paint can, which, if the parties involved know what we're doing and have experienced it, can be a deterrent in itself.

I like the idea of the pistol shaped deploying mechs. Easier to aim, seems easier to deploy with very little thought as to which direction it'll deploy in (everyone generally knows which way to point a gun). I really don't know if there is a diff though between LE spray, and "other" spray.

Mine reads... 1.33% Major Capsaicinoids, and 10% O.C.

If you do try it out, and you should, to see the effectiveness, video it for Bullshido... It is entertaining for everyone not involved. Stay under running water for a good while afterward, and for the love of God! Wash you hands vigorously before taking a piss or you most certainly will regret it.

Oh... When you shower later that night, be prepared for it to reactivate some, and set your junk on fire when the shower water runs South.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey184 View Post
    I like the idea of the pistol shaped deploying mechs. Easier to aim, seems easier to deploy with very little thought as to which direction it'll deploy in (everyone generally knows which way to point a gun).
    Bigger risk of heat of the moment confusion like that 'incident' on the BART, though? Maybe it's also better PR/less escalatory to clearly use something un-gun shaped in certain circumstances?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Bigger risk of heat of the moment confusion like that 'incident' on the BART, though? Maybe it's also better PR/less escalatory to clearly use something un-gun shaped in certain circumstances?
    OTOH, maybe a gun-shaped thing in your hand will deter someone more than a can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 3:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see the point of "in the heat of the moment", but a brightly colored pistol shaped thingy, along with a reasonable, legally armed person, or off duty LE Officer... You'd think they would differentiate between the victim, and the aggressor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 10:37am

Style: thai boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first of all try and track down whats known as bear repellant. got sprayed with it during an altercation this summer and it sucked the fat one. secondly if your going to carry it. buy a couple and practice with it. the prick that sprayed me tried to run up to me and spray point blank in my face.
    dumb ass ran into his own cloud of mist and blinded himself. also sprayed his buddy and blinded him. shooting one off beforhand would have helped him ya know not spray his freind and himself.

thirdly. personal pepper spray is designed as a tool to be used by women to prevent rape.
    as a self respecting male I would suggest carrying an extendable night stick. a knife. a gun. brass knuckles.

pepper spray is for the weak

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 2:10pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got sprayed with pepper spray here in Oz. Guy sprayed it through the window of a bus, didn't even know him. My recommendation is spray them and get the **** away. I couldn't see, but if I had managed to get a hold of the guy who did it I would have torn him apart, it made me very angry, very quickly.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by onewhoseeks View Post
    personal pepper spray is designed as a tool to be used by women to prevent rape.
    as a man looking to go to prison and experience surprise buttsex I would suggest carrying an extendable night stick. a knife. a gun. brass knuckles.

pepper spray is for people who want to avoid being charged with assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, or murder
    fixed
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast