Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 8:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickass

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So... I'm prescribed Adderall

Yeah, I know it's bad for me, but I have a legit prescription and a need to focus sometimes. Anyways, my problem with Adderall is that it increases blood pressure, which results in me getting light headed when I work out. As a result of my dedication to getting bigger (Adderall makes you stop eating and sleeping), I stopped taking it altogether.

However, sometimes, I need to focus. Like, right now, I should be doing some work, but I want to have a discussion about this before I forget about it.

I've had to start taking my Adderall again, but this time I decided to add a regiment of other herbs to neutralize the side-effects. Ginko Biloba decreases blood pressure and increases blood volume. Ginger helps decrease blood pressure and gets the digestive juices flowing, increasing appetite. Ginseng can help to decrease blood pressure in high enough of a dose, and I already take it (it's a combo of American, Chinese, panax and Siberian ginseng).

The problem with Adderall is that it puts your heart on over-drive and sort of drains you. When I work out on Adderall, it causes me to potentially black out if I overexert myself (I have a lowered dosage, but the effects of dehydration are still intensified if I **** up). My solution, increasing blood volume with these supplements, puts my blood flow back at equilibrium (stabilizing my blood pressure). I also don't have the draining feeling that I usually get, I believe it's because since these are herbs, they potentially replenish the "nutrients" that Adderall makes you consume more rapidly (I'm taking vitamins/minerals and theanine). These herbs also help to curb the anxiety associated with taking amphetamines (Adderall consists of mixed amphetamine salts).

While this is good for my heart, there are some concerns I have. Having increased blood flow is simply bad-ass, there are video game power-ups that consist of increasing blood flow in such a manner (Bear Shamans from Age of Conan come to mind as well as Makoto, the girl from Street Fighter who looks like she does Goju-Ryu). Unfortunately, life does not always play out like video games, and there could probably be consequences that are unforeseen. This is why I'm talking to you guys.

Honestly, I feel great. I stretched out, neck bridged for a few minutes and did a ****-ton of pushups right now (I decided to work until failure and surprised myself); I just feel energized and in a good state to fight (pumped up). However, there is the concern of increased blood flow; I could potentially bleed out faster like this if I were to be cut. On top of that, there is an increased risk of hemorrhages.

Also, I'm pretty sure increasing blood flow is pretty taxing. What will I need to do to compensate for an increased consumption of my body's resource? I figure I'm going to have to hydrate and increase my sodium intake. Any specific vitamins, minerals or amino acids that I should be worried about?
    Last edited by 4rmch41r; 9/26/2011 9:28am at .

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 8:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickass

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I specifically posted on this forum because I was wondering about this in a martial arts perspective and I'm hoping someone here is Ip Man status (a holistic medicine expert). I've seen numerous depictions in anime and video games of martial artists using meditation/concentration/breathing techniques to manipulate their blood flow. Are the benefits I'm experiencing just perceived? I'd imagine my body is better adapted for the cold (i.e., training in the mountains Mas Oyama status) assuming that I sustained myself properly. However, retaining/exerting heat might not be good in heated conditions. Could there be a way I could do this without the aid of supplements?

Edit: Also, I take yohimbe from time to time. I figure it might be overkill taken with this combination since it's not really good for people with high blood pressure. Are there any serious consequences if I happen to take it anyways? This is a completely separate issue, I don't plan on it, but I'm curious (I already know it's probably bad, I want to know why).
    Last edited by 4rmch41r; 9/26/2011 9:31am at .

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:31am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recommendation:

Go speak with the prescribing physician.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you say "It hurts when I do this" and the doctor says "Don't do that" get a new doctor, one with experience working with athletes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 1:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a person with high blood pressure (treated), who just accidentally took a supplement, with yohimbe in it. It can wreck your world. My pressure skyrocketed and I had a killer headache. I was doing 20 reps squats when my brain pain felt like it was going to explode. It took a while to figure out what was causing it, but once I stopped taking the supp, I felt better, well, the next day anyway.

I agree, you should talk to your doc about your meds, and strategies for working out on them.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, thirded.

When I work out on Adderall, it causes me to potentially black out if I overexert myself
    this isn't a "should my elbow *click* when I bend it?" or "what is better Flex-All, SportsCream, Ben-Gay or Tiger Balm" question.

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The yohimbe is bad idea.
    Consult your doc.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talk to your doctor, not a bunch of yahoos on the internet. Also, you are so lucky you posted this in a forum that is heavily moderated:

I've seen numerous depictions in anime and video games of martial artists using meditation/concentration/breathing techniques to manipulate their blood flow.

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 3:18pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    you are so lucky you posted this in a forum that is heavily moderated:
    No ****. I had this image of some guy keeling over in the gym because someone gave them "medical advice"...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 3:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next question, why do you have two accounts lt_Flippy? Don't lie I'll ban both.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast