Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:34am

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know you didn't direct that at me, but I'll tell you why I found it borring.

First, both guys speed seemed more of a burden then an asset. Lots and lots and lots of missing. High speed doesn't mean high quality. In addition to the missing, it didn't seem like there was any intent on most of them. Johnson looked like he was throwing just to push a pace. A dog chasing cars... Like all he knew was that punches must be thrown and had no idea what came next, even if he had landed he would've gotten the same result. Either a failed TD attempt and pinned for a moment before getting up, or get TD himself and pinned for a moment before getting up.

It wasn't so much the use of takedowns as the use of holddowns. I don't care if he was stalling on purpose or if it was a strategic struggle for both guys to improve position, there was very little action. The couple suplex were nice, but don't make up for 13 out of 25 minutes of stalemate. Add in only one sub attempt with potential to end it in the whole fight and Cruz moving away for the majority of the fight leads me to believe he was only concerned with the score cards. I've never been convinced Cruz has ever looked to fight over score.

If GSP's fights were faster paced he would get the same criticism he already does, and that's essentially what Cruz is - a fast forward tape of GSP. I'm not seeing all this variety he gets credit for, it's the same handful of moves done repeatedly. I can understand that he does them so well there's no need for anything else, but that doesn't make for excitement. I can also understand where other people might be entertained by his style, but I'm not. In fact, the most exciting thing about the fight was his footwork.

These little guys are supposed to be reveared for their higher technical abilities, but those abilities are in avoiding the fight. Dodging and out maneuvering an opponent is cool to see the first time, but the other 24 min and 30 sec, not so much.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    could you articulate what you found boring about it? was it just the use of takedowns?
    continuous takedowns into nothing was one, although he did ALMOST get that choke. so thats something. i realise cruz broke his hand, so that accounts for a lot of why he wasnt pushing that much.

but not much happened. mighty mouse missed time and time again. Cruz danced around a lot and scored takedowns to win the rounds. meh. found it boring.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dunno, i've never been bored watching someone make someone else miss. and it's not like cruz wasn't countering, did you see the lump on johnson's face after the fight? johnson fought through it and kept pushing the pace forward the whole time. cruz was mixing it up, and even after scoring a takedown, johnson consistently scrambled to his feet.

i wanna grab a timer and clock in just how long they were on the ground, because i think it's WAY less than you guys are insinuating.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 2:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm cool with good footwork and elusiveness as long as it leads to something. A 25 minute fight and Mouse had only a small mouse on his brow from an elbow. Diaz gets railed for his patty cake punches, but who can take them for 25 minutes? Even Diaz K people TFO. Both these guys get talked about as having power, so a fight that long, that fast, should've produced results. I have yet to see this power from either guy.

An almost RNC was the only danger in the whole fight. It wasn't the most boring fight I've ever seen, but nothing to talk about outside of a net forum specifically about it. At least the bar didn't have to change the channel like with the GSP Shields fight, but no one mentioned it once it was over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 9:48am

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cruz fought with a badly broken left hand... he goes in for surgery this week evidently.

He didn't look himself, but far from a boring fight imo.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    A 25 minute fight and Mouse had only a small mouse on his brow from an elbow.

did you not see that tumor on his face after the fight? mighty mouse is only a nickname, he's not actually a cartoon character.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 11:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

did you not see that tumor on his face after the fight? mighty mouse is only a nickname, he's not actually a cartoon character.
    No I didn't see the post fight show. Looks like he got a pretty good swell...

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 11:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it was already popping up during his interview with rogan, did you skip that as well?
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it was already popping up during his interview with rogan, did you skip that as well?
    It didn't look that bad, and I'm sure you've seen far worse from a single punch in person just as I have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 1:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but Barry should be cut.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast