Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to flip the coin, is there any way he could have just slipped under the BJJ radar? He's putting out fighters and seems pretty active on the scene so it seems strange that he would go unchallenged if his rank and lineage are shady.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Style
    Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Just to flip the coin, is there any way he could have just slipped under the BJJ radar? He's putting out fighters and seems pretty active on the scene so it seems strange that he would go unchallenged if his rank and lineage are shady.
    Possibly. But considering the bizarre and wide ranging list of credentials, it just seems way too sketchy. Does he put out fighters? I haven't looked too far into that, and don't see any of that on his site. He seems to intentionally avoid discussing any of his creds, and even guys I know that have broken away from their coaches still tend to at least mention who they originally were under.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It came up a few times for people competing out of Philly jiu jutsu. Mmastream is one site of off the top of head.

Have yet to find anywhere where he himself claims or states that "I hold X rank in BJJ" but it comes up on dojo guide sites but whether he supplied the info or if it was the infamous "guy who manages the sites" I don't know yet.

But it all does seem a little fishy though.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help. I've looked at the posted links before and they left me with my mind still unmade. In his email to me asking about his lineage he told me he does his own thing now and if I wanted strictly BJJ he would recommend Philly schools for me.

He has a few videos on YouTube. The one umholtz vs costa 2010 he looks to my untrained eye very proficient and seems effortless is destroying his brownbelt. This is the brownbelt I'd be learning BJJ from. A friend of mine who's a bluebelt in a Gracie school watched the video and said umholtz looks very legit I'm that video.

I've tried to find info on Lonnie Phillips who seems to be a legit Moreira BB but I can't find any info and the one link I found to Phillips dojo seems dead. I do know Phillips does have ties to Philadelphia.

Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Style
    Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jugrnot View Post
    In his email to me asking about his lineage he told me he does his own thing now and if I wanted strictly BJJ he would recommend Philly schools for me.
    Sounds like he's at least not bullshitting you in that regard. As for his ability, idk, I'd have to train with him myself or at least see some instruction/fights of his to give any sort of opinion. From the sounds of things, he very well may be a solid coach.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am the brown belt mentioned in this thread. My name is Tommy Costa and I run High Ground Jiu-Jitsu in western PA. We serve Westmoreland and Allegheny counties. We train men, women, law enforcement, military, competitors, and children. We are on the mat every single day, often twice a day. I travel often to train with Damon and other high-level BJJ/MMA/Judo masters. My sensei, Damon Umholtz, has been a great friend, teacher, and mentor to me over the past 7 years. He trained me for competition and took me halfway around the world to train and teach all over Switzerland and Italy including the University of Bologna. My school is affiliated with Damon and I still train with him regularly. He has been a black belt longer than people have been trying to keep track here on the internet. Rank aside, he has been serving his students with their best interests in mind for decades.

I remember my phone conversation with Jugrnot. I also believe he visited my dojo and observed a class. From what I remember he seemed very enthusiastic and wanted to join. I gave him our new student welcome guide and told him he could take a week or so of class for free before he gave us any money. I never saw or heard from him after that day. He did not try a class to compare our training to his previous experience. He is still welcome at our dojo and would love to have him as a part of our squad.

Please check out our school:
    http://www.highgroundjiujitsu.com

We invite anyone who lives and trains in western PA to come and train with us. We have a diverse and talented group of grapplers and top notch Judo instruction from some of PA's highest ranking Judo players.

If you're in Philly please check out Damon's school, he is a vast wealth of knowledge and his squad is tough. Damon is an elite grappler, Judoka, striker, and weapons expert.

http://www.philadelphiajiujitsu.com

--smooth is fast--
    Last edited by HGtommy; 11/03/2011 12:21am at .

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Tommy and welcome to the site. Thanks for the info but as jugrnot has not returned to post in this thread I am assuming the matter is closed.

Why not introduce yourself in your own newbie town thread and stick around for a bit? I think you'll find the advanced grappling forums fun and useful and I'm sure your contributions will be most welcome.
    Train hard, fight easy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tommy .. is your Judo Brown via USJA, USJF, or USJI? Im still not quite clear on the answers. Regarding the BJJ lineage .... Mr Umholtz's website refers to teaching Jiu Jitsu but not "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" specifically .. maybe its a bit pedantic but it does actually make a difference. Also ... which Org is his Judo rank through .. USJA, JF, or JI? Not to say that anyone in the scope of this discussion isnt a good grappler gi or no gi ... but credentials do matter.

My mistake .. his bio does say BB in several BBs including Judo, BJJ, and JJ ... still not clear on who awarded him the BB in BJJ. The belt hes wearing in the pic looks like 4 or 5 stripes .. hard for me to see, old eyes and all ;P .. thats a pretty impressive rank for BJJ and yet the web page doesnt identify the lineage of that many stripes ... one of my previous BJJ Coaches is one of the Dirty Dozen ... awarded rank directly from Rigan Machado and hes a 4th and a literal legend in the world of BJJ .. EVERYONE knows his lineage and he proudly makes sure EVERYONE knows.
    Last edited by jrljudoka; 4/19/2012 3:20pm at .

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrljudoka View Post
    Tommy .. is your Judo Brown via USJA, USJF, or USJI? Im still not quite clear on the answers. Regarding the BJJ lineage .... Mr Umholtz's website refers to teaching Jiu Jitsu but not "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" specifically .. maybe its a bit pedantic but it does actually make a difference. Also ... which Org is his Judo rank through .. USJA, JF, or JI? Not to say that anyone in the scope of this discussion isnt a good grappler gi or no gi ... but credentials do matter.
    Why did you bump this long dead thread? His links are right there and you could have emailed him.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies

Page 2 of 2 First 12