Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 4:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Melbourne Swordplay Guild

I recently started looking for a HEMA style school in Melbourne, without very high hopes, but a quick search turned up this - The Melbourne Swordplay Guild.

http://msg.swordplay.org.au/

According to the site it's affiliated with the Australian Historical Swordplay Federation, not sure if that's a good thing, I'm a total noob to this stuff. They also state that they are the longest running HEMA school in VIC.

They run classes only one night a week though, which would turn out to be fine, since I'd rather have more time left in the week when I get back to BJJ.

I have holidays currently and was thinking of taking a look at a class, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had experience with them, or any other HEMA schools in the Melbourne area.

Thanks guys.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember corresponding with a couple of these guys on Sword Forum, years ago. Never met them, but I've no reason to doubt that it's a good club - you should at least check out a class if you're interested in this stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am planning on dropping by next Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 11:45pm

Style: yes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    I recently started looking for a HEMA style school in Melbourne, without very high hopes, but a quick search turned up this - The Melbourne Swordplay Guild.

http://msg.swordplay.org.au/

According to the site it's affiliated with the Australian Historical Swordplay Federation, not sure if that's a good thing, I'm a total noob to this stuff. They also state that they are the longest running HEMA school in VIC.

They run classes only one night a week though, which would turn out to be fine, since I'd rather have more time left in the week when I get back to BJJ.

I have holidays currently and was thinking of taking a look at a class, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had experience with them, or any other HEMA schools in the Melbourne area.

Thanks guys.
    Wow!! I think it is very good art school. I am a good fan of martial arts. I was joined the Hema martial art school in Melbourne but after some time i was drop it due to my busy schedule. I have searched on your post link. It is very useful. Thanks

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm so jealous man. I've wanted to try a bit of Longsword training for years now, but don't have a school within reach :/

When I move back to London at the end of this year I'm going to have to try and find one..
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some very good longsword clubs in London.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    There are some very good longsword clubs in London.
    I found a website a while ago which had a number of Longsword clubs listed around the UK, with a handful reachable from my London address. I'm definitely going to give them a look when I'm back there; it looks like it'd be a really fun and challenging contrast to my usual training.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 2:19am

Style: WMA Lichtenauer Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In London, there's Schola Gladiatoria (Fiore), Dave Rawlings (various), the London Sword and Dagger Club (Fiore) and I'm trying to get a KdF (Lichtenauer) study group off the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2011 1:32pm

Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you looking for a HEMA/WMA club, just thought I'd tip you of this site, for which I am responsible:

http://www.hroarr.com/organisations-and-clubs.php

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 12:53am

Style: yes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimnir69 View Post
    For those of you looking for a HEMA/WMA club, just thought I'd tip you of this site, for which I am responsible:

http://www.hroarr.com/organisations-and-clubs.php
    Very nice sharing, It is really very useful post for me.