Our Sponsors:

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 11:45pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No the really rotten thing is when you work your ass off for someone for a month straight and they come back with "you haven't done ANYTHING" for me.

As least if your into MA you can kick their ass.

Being a lawyer kind of sucks.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/03/2012 11:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    No the really rotten thing is when you work your ass off for someone for a month straight and they come back with "you haven't done ANYTHING" for me.

As least if your into MA you can kick their ass.

Being a lawyer kind of sucks.
    Oh yeah, I've been there before.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 12:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    So Heublein put Grey Poupon in a bigger glass jar, with an enamelled label and enough of a whiff of Frenchness to make it seem as if it were still being made in Europe (it was made in Hartford, Connecticut, from Canadian mustard seed and white wine). The company ran tasteful print ads in upscale food magazines. They put the mustard in little foil packets and distributed them with airplane meals—which was a brand-new idea at the time. Then they hired the Manhattan ad agency Lowe Marschalk to do something, on a modest budget, for television. The agency came back with an idea: A Rolls-Royce is driving down a country road. There's a man in the back seat in a suit with a plate of beef on a silver tray. He nods to the chauffeur, who opens the glove compartment. Then comes what is known in the business as the "reveal." The chauffeur hands back a jar of Grey Poupon. Another Rolls-Royce pulls up alongside. A man leans his head out the window. "Pardon me. Would you have any Grey Poupon?"

In the cities where the ads ran, sales of Grey Poupon leaped forty to fifty per cent, and whenever Heublein bought airtime in new cities sales jumped by forty to fifty per cent again. Grocery stores put Grey Poupon next to French's and Gulden's. By the end of the nineteen-eighties Grey Poupon was the most powerful brand in mustard. "The tagline in the commercial was that this was one of life's finer pleasures," Larry Elegant, who wrote the original Grey Poupon spot, says, "and that, along with the Rolls-Royce, seemed to impart to people's minds that this was something truly different and superior."

The rise of Grey Poupon proved that the American supermarket shopper was willing to pay more—in this case, $3.99 instead of $1.49 for eight ounces—as long as what they were buying carried with it an air of sophistication and complex aromatics. Its success showed, furthermore, that the boundaries of taste and custom were not fixed: that just because mustard had always been yellow didn't mean that consumers would use only yellow mustard. It is because of Grey Poupon that the standard American supermarket today has an entire mustard section.
    -Malcolm Gladwell

The reason why people make choices about buying things is pretty interesting. Almost without exception, the reason we make choices has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with unwritten rules we don't even know. For example, give free stuff to people and they instantly feel obligated to you. That's why we are always getting free crap from people. I tried a lesson at this kind of crap dojo once and the guy gave me a free shirt. I still wear it. I felt the odd pull of feeling obligated and thankful...of "owing" something.

My checkbook overrode it. Plus it was the most horrible first lesson I ever had. There should be a thread for the most horrible intro lesson ever.
    I think I've given those horrible lessons when I first started.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 4:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, im pretty sure you also ran into this type, I call that type the doubter:

has been training two to three months and hits the first bumps in the road as in development/progress.

instructor:' you okay? you dont look too happy..'

doubter:' well I dunno, maybe this style isnt for me, like the brother of my friend johnny has a black belt in ***** and he can like beat up 5 guys with baseballbets and knives and stuff...I mean ..are we also going to learn that kinda stuff?'

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2012 11:11am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually no Lebell, I don't believe I've ever had one of those guys. Seriously. I take it back, we had them but there is more of a realization of "that other school must be crappy".

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/06/2012 4:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Actually no Lebell, I don't believe I've ever had one of those guys. Seriously. I take it back, we had them but there is more of a realization of "that other school must be crappy".
    I should have realised that the experiences of us mere mortals translate different when it comes to Omeganisms! :p

doubter at Omega's school: well ghee I dunno...this other guy has a school and he has like 5 black belts, and they said he once beat up 10 guys at once!'

*Omega raises a severed head* ' Is it this guy?!'

doubter: OMG OMG OMG!

oMEGA:' muahahahaha!'
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829