Posted On:
    9/23/2011 11:02am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    Yes.
    Then you should realize that I knew that you knew that I knew that you would respond to this in the same fashion that I know that you know that I know that you know I would respond in kind. What you didn't count on though is that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you knew I respond but would say it before you did.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 11:07am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Then you should realize that I knew that you knew that I knew that you would respond to this in the same fashion that I know that you know that I know that you know I would respond in kind. What you didn't count on though is that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you knew I respond but would say it before you did.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, when I started BJJ, I was pretty much That Kung Fu Guy at my club. I got better eventually, though.
    Except for the warmups. I still totally do stretch kicks when I warm up.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 5:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to be the Kung Fu guy and ended up doing krotty and jiu-jitsu. I thought they were too cheap to buy protective gear and felt cheated.

I still actually felt cheated because they was never an inkling on the part of number one to do competition. I would have been a bag of **** but it would have helped.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, some dabbling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm nearly a version of "TKFG", though hopefully I don't act as you described. Usually I don't mention anything about being a tkd guy because I know it means absolutely nothing in grappling no matter how many 'leg sweeps' and whatever you've done in that setting ("TKFG" undercover). If there is something I can already just about nearly do ok (did some trad JJ for 2-3 years in the past and some other bits and pieces), and people ask me about it, I usually just lie and say I've never done it before. If the "TKFG" walks straight over to the bag and starts showing off his moves, it's probably because he's nervous, going from being the guy near the front of the class back down to a minnow and feels pretty embarrassed. That's probably also why he takes off after a couple of months. The aim of training is to not be that guy and get tripped up by ego, showing off and mouthing off. To be honest, even when I go to other tkd places, I still feel like that guy, I just stay at the back and keep my mouth shut. Back down to the bottom of the pile. It's hard enough to keep up with one art and not get your ass handed to you regularly.

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 9:14pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black light material gi. I tore it first lesson in ne waza (not even in a throw, material was light as) and he never came back. He is my favourite type of KF guy.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 10:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:26pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    So every place I've ever trained Judo or Jiu-Jitsu has always inevitably had that Kung Fu guy on the mat. TKFG is only there because he's heard so much about grappling or "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" that he just had to check it out for himself. In my experience, it's almost a given that he does Wing Chun, but there have been exceptions. On the rare occasion TKFG can take the form of that Taekwondo guy.

TKFG typically only sticks around for 2-3 months at most, having absorbed everything he needs to know to supplement, and "fill in the gaps" of his regular training.

TKFG never obtains a gi unless specifically confronted about it and requested to

While everyone is stretching and warming up, TKFG is usually practicing some bizarre flashy striking set up, then performing a half-assed double leg in the air as a part of his shadowboxing.

If there is a heavy bag in the room, TKFG will be by it, showing off his stand-up prowess with stop kicks, palm strikes and spinning backfists (which may or may not send him completely off balance, as the bag doesn't budge, but he does).

Most of the time TKFG is a pretty chill person, and gets along great with everyone, but every so often you get that douche who just refuses to stfu and train. In cases like this, while working a guard pass, he'll request to try some "self defense" stuff with you, where he pretends to strike at your eyes/groin while passing. He'll constantly call the instructor over to question the supposed street application of a certain technique.

In one instance, TKFG stayed for a stand-up class, and proceeded to make a scene questioning the instructor openly on his technique, claiming his Wing Chun training didn't agree with his approach.

So anyone else got stories of that Kung Fu guy in their gym?
    That... is pretty scary lol. I'm guilty of about 60 percent of all that lmao.

They even call me kung fu.

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:41pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You misheard, x2z, they call you Kung Fool.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2011 10:48pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    You misheard, x2z, they call you Kung Fool.
    I thought it was meatsack?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast