226106 Bullies, 4165 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That "Kung Fu guy" on the mat

So every place I've ever trained Judo or Jiu-Jitsu has always inevitably had that Kung Fu guy on the mat. TKFG is only there because he's heard so much about grappling or "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" that he just had to check it out for himself. In my experience, it's almost a given that he does Wing Chun, but there have been exceptions. On the rare occasion TKFG can take the form of that Taekwondo guy.

• TKFG typically only sticks around for 2-3 months at most, having absorbed everything he needs to know to supplement, and "fill in the gaps" of his regular training.

• TKFG never obtains a gi unless specifically confronted about it and requested to

• While everyone is stretching and warming up, TKFG is usually practicing some bizarre flashy striking set up, then performing a half-assed double leg in the air as a part of his shadowboxing.

• If there is a heavy bag in the room, TKFG will be by it, showing off his stand-up prowess with stop kicks, palm strikes and spinning backfists (which may or may not send him completely off balance, as the bag doesn't budge, but he does).

Most of the time TKFG is a pretty chill person, and gets along great with everyone, but every so often you get that douche who just refuses to stfu and train. In cases like this, while working a guard pass, he'll request to try some "self defense" stuff with you, where he pretends to strike at your eyes/groin while passing. He'll constantly call the instructor over to question the supposed street application of a certain technique.

In one instance, TKFG stayed for a stand-up class, and proceeded to make a scene questioning the instructor openly on his technique, claiming his Wing Chun training didn't agree with his approach.

So anyone else got stories of that Kung Fu guy in their gym?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I've related my "I already know how to do foot sweeps, I'm a black belt in TKD" story before.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 9:58am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    So every place I've ever trained Judo or Jiu-Jitsu has always inevitably had that Kung Fu guy on the mat. TKFG is only there because he's heard so much about grappling or "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" that he just had to check it out for himself. In my experience, it's almost a given that he does Wing Chun, but there have been exceptions. On the rare occasion TKFG can take the form of that Taekwondo guy.

• TKFG typically only sticks around for 2-3 months at most, having absorbed everything he needs to know to supplement, and "fill in the gaps" of his regular training.

• TKFG never obtains a gi unless specifically confronted about it and requested to

• While everyone is stretching and warming up, TKFG is usually practicing some bizarre flashy striking set up, then performing a half-assed double leg in the air as a part of his shadowboxing.

• If there is a heavy bag in the room, TKFG will be by it, showing off his stand-up prowess with stop kicks, palm strikes and spinning backfists (which may or may not send him completely off balance, as the bag doesn't budge, but he does).

Most of the time TKFG is a pretty chill person, and gets along great with everyone, but every so often you get that douche who just refuses to stfu and train. In cases like this, while working a guard pass, he'll request to try some "self defense" stuff with you, where he pretends to strike at your eyes/groin while passing. He'll constantly call the instructor over to question the supposed street application of a certain technique.

In one instance, TKFG stayed for a stand-up class, and proceeded to make a scene questioning the instructor openly on his technique, claiming his Wing Chun training didn't agree with his approach.

My stories usually are filled with that BJJ or Muay Thai guy; sometimes even that boxing guy. The person you're really missing is that Ninja guy.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    My stories usually are filled with that BJJ or Muay Thai guy; sometimes even that boxing guy. The person you're really missing is that Ninja guy.
    I so knew you were gonna reply to this! :D
    ~Bruce Lee

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do stories about TKFG coming to other kung fu schools and acting like a pernicious twat count?

Because I've got a few of those....

For starters...

How about the snotty British Kung Fu guy who shows up for one class and immediately starts criticizing your training methods as "different" from "real kung fu". For instance..banging/conditioning forearms with partners is not ideal because, quote:

"I'd rather find a strong tree and strike it until I can't feel my arms
    Sifu challenged him with something along the lines of "how could you defend yourself with such damaged limbs"?.

Oh and our forms were a little different from his, so Sifu needed to be told that all throughout the one class.

One class.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:34am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I so knew you were gonna reply to this! :D
    Yes, but did you know that I knew that you knew that I would reply to this?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a kung fu guy AND I have a judogi.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Yes, but did you know that I knew that you knew that I would reply to this?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    ^5!
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:47am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You big show off.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 10:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That makes two of us.

Another story, this time it's TMMAG (That MMA Guy).

Judo class, circa late 1990s. No, this is not made up, but was reconstructed from a hazy college memory.

I've made a short screenplay.

A Scene from Judo II

Scene:
    Boyden Gym Judo/Wrestling Room, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
    Players:
    Rabbit: (a shy but friendly, reasonably athletic yellow belt judoka)
    TMMAG: Heavily tattooed, straight edge madman who won't stop talking about how MMA is greater than Judo
    Rabbit: "Ok since this is one of your first classes let's take it easy, we can drill some of the submission escapes sensei just showed us"

TMMAG: "Dude...have you ever watched The Ultimate Fighting Championship? A lot has changed in martial arts...I'm really just here to check out you Judo guys...if you know UFC you know Jiu-jitsu is way better than Judo"

Rabbit: "Well I've seen them and we can talk about that after class, let's do some submissions.."

TMMAG: "You now those throws and rolls and stuff the instructor does are bullshit right? You can't really throw someone over your shoulder in the octagon, unless they let you".

Rabbit: "You haven't done much randori with us, I can tell you I've already thrown and been thrown against my will...this stuff works!"

TMMAG: "Fine show me your Judo submissions we'll see what happens"
    Rabbit and TTMAG assume position on the mat and begin vying for control. Rabbit quickly gains control of TTMAG's head and shoulder and almost immediately has TTMAG completely locked up.

TTMAG responds by starting to drive his index knuckle into Rabbit's rib cage, and Rabbit lets go, since this is just drilling.
    Rabbit: "Ouch dude...ok just so you know that's not allowed in Judo".

TMMAG: "See what did I tell you! This is why Judo is on its way out...it can't compete in the octagon"

End scene.

---

This guy left after about three classes. I found out later he switched his PE credits from Judo to Aikido. You can't make that kind of **** up.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/23/2011 11:10am at .
Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast