Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Unless it's steel or at least aluminum, it's just LARPing.
    Use bokken. They'll hurt more than enough.

  2. #32
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Unless it's steel or at least aluminum, it's just LARPing.
    Kendo is still pretty s3rious. I would fear a good kendo player over anything the booj spits/shits out from their program alone....with any striking weapon....hell even thumb wrestling, or chicken pecks (knife hand to neck), I'd be more scared of that, than a ninjer.

  3. #33
    In the blackest moment of a dying world, what have you become? supporting member
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,472
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Kendo is still pretty s3rious. I would fear a good kendo player over anything the booj spits/shits out from their program alone....with any striking weapon....hell even thumb wrestling, or chicken pecks (knife hand to neck), I'd be more scared of that, than a ninjer.
    The only problem with kendo is that they wear protective gear to pretend they are in the 18th century. If that's not LARPing I don't know what is.

  4. #34
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The only problem with kendo is that they wear protective gear to pretend they are in the 18th century. If that's not LARPing I don't know what is.
    LARP - Live Action Role Play

    Kendo - actually trying to smash each other - no roles to play, just the pain to bring.

  5. #35
    FinalLegion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,050
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The only problem with kendo is that they wear protective gear to pretend they are in the 18th century. If that's not LARPing I don't know what is.
    Well...I don't think they're trying to pretend anything...I think it's more of a matter of how much it hurts if you get it with a shinai.

  6. #36
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In this, our litigious western world, any kendo gym w/o protective items would last about as long as that book OJ was going to write on if he had killed those people, how he'd have done it, and stuff.

    Kendo gets a giant pass, for helmets. Chun or fisty things do not, mostly.

  7. #37
    In the blackest moment of a dying world, what have you become? supporting member
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,472
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So kendo isn't pretend swordplay?

    Are you both smoking orange peels?

    Granted getting hit with a lot of things hurts, bokken and wooden swords aside.

    My son has a heavy plastic lightsaber that hurts like hell if I smacked you with it. Put on some of his Clone Trooper armor and you're good to go.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/25/2011 1:07am at .

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    So kendo isn't pretend swordplay?

    Are you both smoking orange peels?
    Adding this to my sig.

  9. #39
    FinalLegion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,050
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    So kendo isn't pretend swordplay?

    Are you both smoking orange peels?

    Granted getting hit with a lot of things hurts, bokken and wooden swords aside.

    My son has a heavy plastic lightsaber that hurts like hell if I smacked you with it. Put on some of his Clone Trooper armor and you're good to go.
    It's 'pretend' in that they are using training weapons...not live swords. However, they are not 'pretending' to train.

    What, you think the instructor is gonna say, "hey guys...here's a couple of three and a half foot long razor blades. Now...smack each other with them."

    He'd never get all the blood stains out of his mats.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    1,565
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    It's 'pretend' in that they are using training weapons...not live swords. However, they are not 'pretending' to train.

    What, you think the instructor is gonna say, "hey guys...here's a couple of three and a half foot long razor blades. Now...smack each other with them."

    He'd never get all the blood stains out of his mats.
    With Kendo, has it not evolved to the point where they are training to use shinai in kendo, as opposed to training to use swords.

    I.E Judo, as opposed to teh deadly jits.

Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO