Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aiki-jūjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

@Aikido/Aikijujutsu Practicality

(note: this is all my opinion)
    Its hard to find documentation on the practicality of Aikido or Aikijujitsu on the internet for some reason. I have been taking both for about 5-7 months now (I know I'm not a pro), and felt like clarifying some questions I've seen pop on these forums.

So before we start off, you aikido/aikijujitsu experiences could vary. I've been training under 4 sensei who all have 20-60 years experience. So I have a very good teaching experience.

Aikido:
    I've noticed aikido has a bad rap on the internet. People think it isn't practical, I read in a martial arts magazine once someone said "aikido is the art of beating someones ass who is trying to shake your hand".

I think its really true, that since aikido is non-violent it is always going to be less practical than many other martial arts. However, I definitely don't think its worthless. Alot of stances, footage, and easier to use throws and grabs could be used in a real fight for effectiveness. But when it comes down to it, aikido feels more like lightweight martial art that has more emphasis on morality, ethics and philosphy.

Aikijujutsu:
    When I started training in aikijujutsu, under the same sensei I had been training aikido with - he warned me "this is like aikido with habeneros thrown in." Thats really true. I trained in taekwondo for years before starting this, and nothing in tkd prepared me for how realistic and effective aikido was. It shares alot of basics with aikido, but where aikido would be grabbing you and trying to hold you at a safe distance - aikijujitsu would be breaking your joints, than throwing you on ground and choking you. Out of all the martial arts I've taken, Im gonna say aikijujitsu is the #1 martial art for learning to defend yourself. The japanese used to refer to aikijujitsu as "the battlefield art", and it really shares that lethality its name suggests.

When it comes down to practicality of a martial art for defensive purposes i would say(this is based on my experience):

aikijujitsu: 9/10
    aikido: 6.5/10
    tkd: 5/10

Hope this thread helps clear up some confusion.
    Feel free to post your own experiences or comments/questions :)
    Last edited by Alphacide; 3/07/2011 2:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:41pm

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphacide View Post
    (note: this is all my opinion) but where aikido would be grabbing you and trying to hold you at a safe distance - aikijujitsu would be breaking your joints, snapping your bones and stabbing out your eyes. Out of all the martial arts I've taken, Im gonna say aikijujitsu is the #1 martial art for learning to defend yourself.
    Snapping bones my goodness, I need to learn that, I have only learnt to slightly bruise but hay maybe one day.

My ranking is pretty similar it goes slightly different:
    BJJ 25/10
    MT 25/10
    MMA 25/10

Ah but I joke as long as it works for you, keep at it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haberos?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aiki-jūjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    habanero*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 3:57pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to find documentation on the practicality of Aikido or Aikijujitsu on the internet for some reason. I have been taking both for about 5-7 months now (I know I'm not a pro), and felt like clarifying some questions I've seen pop on these forums.

So before we start off, you aikido/aikijujitsu experiences could vary. I've been training under 4 sensei who all have 20-60 years experience. So I have a very good teaching experience.

Aikido:
    I've noticed aikido has a bad rap on the internet. People think it isn't practical, I read in a martial arts magazine once someone said "aikido is the art of beating someones ass who is trying to shake your hand".

I think its really true, that since aikido is non-violent it is always going to be less practical than many other martial arts. However, I definitely don't think its worthless. Alot of stances, footage, and easier to use throws and grabs could be used in a real fight for effectiveness. But when it comes down to it, aikido feels more like lightweight martial art that has more emphasis on morality, ethics and philosphy.

Aikijujutsu:
    When I started training in aikijujutsu, under the same sensei I had been training aikido with - he warned me "this is like aikido with habeneros thrown in." Thats really true. I trained in taekwondo for years before starting this, and nothing in tkd prepared me for how realistic and effective aikido was. It shares alot of basics with aikido, but where aikido would be grabbing you and trying to hold you at a safe distance - aikijujitsu would be breaking your joints, than throwing you on ground and choking you. Out of all the martial arts I've taken, Im gonna say aikijujitsu is the #1 martial art for learning to defend yourself. The japanese used to refer to aikijujitsu as "the battlefield art", and it really shares that lethality its name suggests.

When it comes down to practicality of a martial art for defensive purposes i would say(this is based on my experience):

Hope this thread helps clear up some confusion.
    Feel free to post your own experiences or comments/questions :)
    But how can you assess the practicality of your technique?
    Do you spar/randori/roll in your class to drill these technique under pressure with reasonable force & resistance?

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    YMAS, please.
    I second the motion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i honestly think alot of it comes down to the individual practitioner, and how practically they were trained to use their techniques (aliveness, etc)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    YMAS, please.
    yup...

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 4:44pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikijujutsu:

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. You have experience in three martial arts systems -- Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, and "aikijujutsu"?

You have been studying the aiki arts for no more than 7 months?

How long did you take TKD? Was there sparring? Under what ruleset?

What is the formal system of aikijujutsu you are studying? In other words, what ryu?

What experience do you have with actual self-defense situations?

Do you really believe that after a mere 7 months you are qualified to analyze the effectiveness of aikido and aikijujutsu techniques in a self-defense situation?

Are you familiar with the concept of "Alive" training?

If you are enjoying your practice in the aiki arts, that's fantastic. But if you're going to come on here after seven months and say, "You don't know what you're talking about; it's effective!" please be prepared to provide some evidence and back-up your assertions.

Or, in the alternative, make sure you have plenty of lube.
Page 1 of 19 1 234511 ... LastLast