Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best Shaolin Kung fu school in china?

I apologise for this being my first thread without a introduction, I promise this wont be my last. Anyway, I want to train in shaolin kung fu in China in the next 6-8 months and wondered if anyone had been to any schools and could recommend some decent ones. I been researching countless times on anything I can get regarding the best school. Im looking for a school where you live there and train 5 times a week where its intense and really difficult. The best ones I found so far are

Kunyu mountain shoalin academy
    http://www.chinashaolins.com/index.htm
    (has some good reviews on it and articles)

http://www.shaolinkungfus.com
    (This one seemed to be copy and pasted from the website above but had the same master as the other and looked good also)

http://www.shaolinskungfu.com/
    (This one looked good too)

Anyone been/have any reviews on these schools? I come from UK so making the right choice is really important for me and im finding it difficult to find the best one. I dont want to learn forms all the time, somewhere where i can use the skills for self defence. Also if you been to/suggest other good schools in china please let me know

Stuart!
    (Apologise for spelling and grammatical errors) Lol.

EDIT: Im extremely serious about my training.
    Last edited by Shogunronin; 9/25/2011 10:04pm at .

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

edit

EDIT: I would be willing to learn forms..my primary goals are finding somewhere with good masters and intense training.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you want to train in China? What do you think you can learn over there that you can't learn in your home country?

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll have to give us some background info. Are you going to China for the sole purpose of learning Kung fu? Or will you be in China for other reasons and have decided to learn some local authentic martial arts while you're there? You don't seem very interested in learning forms which leads me to believe you may want a more practical martial art in which case you may want to check out a San Da school, but you don't have to go to China for that. If you're into an authentic historical Chinese MA shaolin still might not be what you want but i'll wait for the CMA gurus to comment on that. My impression of shaolin is that it's largely a performance based art that is run like a business depending on where you go.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

reply.

Thank you so much for the replies. The reason I would go to China is for the experience and learning under highly experienced masters. Plus somewhere where you live and train many hrs a day with simple living and very difficult. I feel i need this experience/location for it. I would love to learn forms if they could be applied to defending yourself. I would be willing to learn anything to do with kung fu/style. My main aims are finding somewhere with intense training 5/7 days a week.

I would learn in my home country but, they do not offer martial art schools where you stay and live there and is intense training. I am just a little scared on picking the wrong school for obvious reasons.

edit; i would be going to china for the sole purpose of learning kung fu.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have to go to China to learn KF though. Why do you believe you have to live at a school to get intense training? You could just find a school in your own country that is open 5-7 days a week and attend. You remind me of myself when I knew even less about martial arts. I once had a similar thought that to reach a high level at any martial you'd have to have started at a very young age and learn it in the country it originated. The truth is though anywhere you train you are learning from an instructor who learned from someone else. It works the same no matter what country you're in. The quality of instruction depends on the individual instructor not the country the art was learned in.

Here's a bad analogy. When I was working at the hospital as a student an employee needed a somewhat tricky diagnostic x-ray procedure done. The procedure called a lumbar puncture is similiar to an epidural given during pregnancy only without the drugs, it involves x-ray dye being injected into the subdural space in spinal cord. The employee insisted that the radiology director a.k.a the head honcho Dr. who had the biggest name at the hospital perform the procedure rather than his PA (physician's assistant). The employee figured that because the DR. was more educated and had been in the field longer he would be the best. Eventually the director spoke to the employee and explained that although he could do the procedure it wasn't something he regularly did anymore and she was better off with the PA.

My point? Just because a MA instructor or school has a big name and seems it is authentic doesn't necessarily mean it's the best place to go. Come on CMA bullies help me out on this one.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 9/26/2011 9:00am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't need to go to China to learn kung fu, and even doing so, you may end up in a kwoon as shitty as any you'd find in your home country.

Read this excellent article from Martial Tai Chi e-zine...sadly the author, a wonderful, self-described practitioner of "no-chi Tai Chi" passed away last March but left us this handy tool for critiquing commonly seen kung fu curricula.

4 Dangers of False Kung Fu

I have my own handy set of litmus test questions I use, personally, when evaluating a kung fu school either in person or online:

1. When you train, do you notice similarities to boxing as opposed to, say, slow dancing or worse, line dancing? +50pts
    2. Does the kwoon allow free-form sparring? +50pts
    3. Am I allowed to ever punch with full force at the body and head of my training partners? +30 pts
    4. Am I allowed to hit solid training devices, ever (bag, mitt, dummy)? +20 pts
    5. Is forms practice no more than 10-20% of training focus? +20 pts
    6. Are gloves, mouthguards, groin protectors, or helmets used? +20pts
    7. Are weapon forms taught? +10 pts
    8. Are the weapons made of styrofoam or plastic? -50 pts
    9. Is forms practice 90%+ of training focus? -50 pts
    10. Is more than 10% of class time spent discussing old world mysticism? -50 pts
    11. Are you ever instructed that chi is more useful than strength, agility, or intelligence? -100pts.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/26/2011 9:48am at .

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How can you say attend 7 days a week in kung fu school in my home country? It is incomparable to the experience that would be had in China. In china you would get up at 6 am and train till 10pm. In between learning mandarin and conditioning of the body/fitness in between all day long and then Buddhism theories.

I feel inside myself not fully satisfied with a hour a night. Plus, a job would need to be got to sustain my living in, lets say, London. So...work from 9 till 5pm then kung fu for lets say 2 hours.
    I have a job right now and currently saving for China but I want to focus many hours a day on training my mind and body.
    Deep inside myself, 1-2 hours a day is not nearly enough for me or my heart. For the time I am out there (Possibly a year but i would do more if i could) the experience of conditioning the body, being in such a beautiful place like china, and kung fu where i can focus 100% of my mind on without the distractions of modern day life. I cant describe the feeling i feel in the pit of my stomach to do this but it is very strong almost as if i had a furnace burning in my heart. It is so strong that even if i found a school in china i wouldn't even leave the camp to go sight-seeing. I would want to train instead.

Im not trying to turn myself into some bruce lee chump or delusional enough to think i would be learning from some super master who can control fire with his hands but i feel there is a bigger purpose..i need to focus 100% and normal martial art school in uk would not satisfy my hunger or thirst for it. I want to completely immerse myself in it. its something i want to dedicate every hour of each day to for a long period of time internally and externally.

To be honest, when you talked about how you thought you had to start young to be good i went inside myself and realised im not seeking the intense training to get super good fast. Im doing it because it will allow me to become closer to myself where im experiencing the intense training, kung fu and pushing beyond my physical limits. So in this way, it goes 5% further than kung fu but not meaning it as if Kung Fu is not important in the final equation.

i want to lead this for a long period of time so Martial art school in china seems perfect. working on my body, kung fu and my mind focused 100% on it. Becoming my best self at it through determination, hard work on the goal. How could this ever be compared to english school.

Im not saying the English schools are bad. I just started going to some right now and they are amazing and so are the teachers. I could stay here and become great at kung fu but in myself, there are many other factors coming into play than the average person. Not saying im more than the average person, im probably the most stupidist person on this entire forum. Also, not saying i have a bigger passion for kung fu than anyone else just, my goals and desires are different.
    Last edited by Shogunronin; 9/26/2011 12:38pm at .

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you've already convinced yourself that you need to go there, and aren't prepared to listen to the good advice you've already gotten.

you deserve what you're going to get.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have listened to all the amazing advice and I completely agree. If I found a school in UK where you trained from 6am till 10pm everyday, I would go in a heart beat and not go to china. In fact, I first looked in the UK for schools as my starting place as moving country would put me further from my family.
    But, China is the only country i have found which does this. If anyone knows one in uk which does the same intense training from 5am till 10 everyday where you live. Let me know..Maybe the instructors will be the same as they are in UK..still masters but other factors are not included for my goals. So if you seen, im doing this for the right reasons.
    Last edited by Shogunronin; 9/26/2011 12:57pm at . Reason: --

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last