Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, some dabbling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shentie Query

Searching for a martial arts school in West London - saw this:

http://www.shentie-martialarts.com/#...ors/4530726286

Instructor claims....

"Lee spent many years competing at both National and International level and has a unique fighting record of 42 wins 0 losses in a number of different martial art styles. On retirement from tournament fighting he was crowned undefeated kick boxing champion and has continued to successfully train and develop top class martial artists."

Sounds a bit misleading, right?

I mean if I have 1 amateur boxing fight and 7 wins in regional shotokan competitions, I can't add them together and say I am 8 wins undefeated in all styles. If he competed at a national level, why did he only fight 42 times and why doesn't he name the international competitions he won in and the championship belt he won? Why did he retire right after winning the belt? Was it light or full contact (I think many light contact fighters fight more than 20 times just in one year)? Finally, why was he undefeated? If it's kickboxing he is talking about, nearly none of the top guys are completely undefeated - did he fight them?

So many questions.....so much BS right? He probably won a bunch of local closed door competitions in whatever association he was in at the time. The blurb deliberately suggests he was a real champion, without allowing for fact checking.

Anyone know this guy?

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 7:56pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kickboxing claim is a little ambiguous other than that the school appears to be a little mcdojo-ish but nothing else glaring of BS. I didn't read through all of the instructor bios so there could be more possible BS hiding in there. Of course, a mcdojo isn't entirely a bad thing if the school offers qualified instruction. I'd like to see more about the school's training methods and the styles they train. With so many instructors they may actually have a lot to offer, I know I saw one Jiu Jitsu guy in there.

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 8:08pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Under "About Us" they have this to say:
    Lee Adam, the founder, has been studying martial arts for 26 years and has built up an extensive knowledge within all of the styles. On his journey he has achieved numerous black belts and Master status in different styles
    Numerous black belts and master status in more than one style? Quite the accomplishment in only 26 years.

Their video shows what looks like sport karate and a little trad. jujitsu:
    http://www.shentie-martialarts.com/#/video/4548317227

<shrug> club looks okay, if one is interested in such things. Head instructor has a puffed up resume.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 8:22pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stuff he's teaching is dangerous and poorly executed. Kani basami is no longer taught for a reason.

He has a student doing a piss poor ukemi off a frontflip.

Its one to avoid people.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, some dabbling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really mind if he's teach "real" martial arts or showy unusable arts (they can be fun, if not very useful), I just think it sucks to represent yourself as some kind of champion if you're not. I once trained with an instructor who said "I train cage fighters" five or six times and afterwards I wished I'd asked him for their names and records. The more I think about it, the more I think he was bullshitting and he used it to justify some fairly unrealistic moves as "the real deal". You trust people who have good CVs so it's not fair to exaggerate them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not talking about real or not. What he's teaching them to do is dangerous. They could seriously injure each other training like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 8:57am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that Kani basami was only banned in competitions, no? Like various elbow strikes to certain points on the body, you're taught it but not allowed to use it in competitions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkatninja View Post
    I thought that Kani basami was only banned in competitions, no? Like various elbow strikes to certain points on the body, you're taught it but not allowed to use it in competitions.
    Not taught anymore either. I've been taught it through JJ , but I dont think its taught in Judo. The issue I have is that his students cant ukemi properly and he's got them doing quite dangerous throw in a piss poor manner.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were cases where it was (allegedly) used to deliberately injure people in training. So you won't find it allowed anywhere, even to **** around.

Especially in Japan... where I'd imagine if you tried it, you'd spend the rest of the evening accidentally being thrown through various windows and doors head-first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    There were cases where it was (allegedly) used to deliberately injure people in training. So you won't find it allowed anywhere, even to **** around.

Especially in Japan... where I'd imagine if you tried it, you'd spend the rest of the evening accidentally being thrown through various windows and doors head-first.
    Seen the Yamashita leg break?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast