Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 10:13am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Food thread! Foods around the world!

My goal with this thread is to educate bullies and newbs alike about the day to day foods eaten by different cultures throughout the world. Include pics and descriptions of different regional cuisine in your neck of the woods.

Not too long ago scotch eggs was mentioned in a thread, I asked about it and was given a description and pics of this English breakfast food. My question is what do other cultures regularly eat? What do Aussies regularly eat? Kangaroo? How about Israel? Falaffel, hummus? I don't know. What about Russians? Ect. All I have to base my knowledge of foreign food is Chinese, Middle Eastern, Indian, ect. restaurants that have been Americanized and from what I hear differ greatly from the actual food of their respective countries.

Since I'm American I'll start with American food. Immediately barbeque food comes to mind.I'm not sure if it originated in America but I know we do a damn good job cooking it. However, regional styles differ. Near the east coast in North And South Carolina a vinegar based tangy sauce is common served on varieties of smoked meats such as ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket and chicken and in the south we barbeque shrimp. In the southwest spicy barbeque sauce is more common. In other areas down south a sweet thick molasses based sauce is more common. Common sides are coleslaw which is shredded cabbage with other stuff thrown in mainly mayonaise and various spices, tastes range from sweet to spicy. Also, garlic bread, baked potato, and various greens. To drink, beer or sweet tea.
    Name:  pulled pork.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  25.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ribs.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	12771
    Pulled Pork Sandwich and Baby Back Ribs

Since I'm from Florida I'll describe our regional cuisine. Seafood is the main difference from other areas in the U.S. and carribean and Spanish flavors are more common in south FL. Common fish to eat are redfish, red snapper, grouper, flounder, trigger fish, cobia (also called ling up north I think), wahoo, swordfish,... the list goes on. The fish can be fried, grilled, smoked, or blackened. "Blackened" just means a spicy seasoning is added and the fish is grilled. In addition, shrimp, clams, and oysters are popular.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trigger.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	12772
    Here's some trigger fish I grilled the other night. I made a home made "salsa verde" sauce, it's basically pureed mint,parsley, shallots, garlic,lemon zest, with an olive oil base. I served the fish over some steamed green beans and whipped potatoes. With a decent bottle of Vouvray to drink.

As for every day American food here's a basic list. Meatloaf, pork chops, steak, pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs, spaghetti, sausage, various cassaroles. The list goes on but I just wanted to give a few examples of common everyday dinner items.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to give examples of what I was going for with this thread. To restate, talk about food that is unique to your country and how it varies, discuss the food unique to your region, or list common dinners that everyday average people in your country eat. Don't just say I like pancakes for example. I and everyone else here doesn't care what you like. Educate us! describe food that you don't think others are familiar with.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 9/22/2011 10:16am at .

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 5:26am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go with Japanese cuisine. Gyoza: read about it here.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 5:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Belgium:

Stoofvlees recipy:

Ingredients
    -------------
    - 1 kilogram of rund/veal cut into cubes of an inch
    - 50 grams of bakking butter
    - 2 medium onions
    - Bay Leaf
    - Thyme
    - Clove
    - pepper
    - salt
    - 1 to 2 slices of dark bread (the black one with visible granes in it)
    - (Dijon) mustard, I mean the strong mustard that will make you cry, not the sugared bullshit you do on hotdogs !!!
    - (minimum) 1 glas of beer (Belgian BROWN beer, sweet like Brown Leffe, or something in that style).
    - a little bit of sausbinder

Equipment
    --------------
    - an antibake pan with a glas lid and a wooden sturring spoon.

Mode d'emploi
    -----------------

- Cut the onion to very small pieces.
    - Melt the butter in the pan (medium fire)
    - Fry the onion until it's golden brown
    - Add the meat and stirfry them just until al the sides of the cubes are not seeing red anymore
    - Add the speceries: bay leaf, thyme, clove, pepper and salt
    - set the temperature of your fire to small (if your fire has got 3 temps, it's 1, if it's got 5, it will be probably 2, you get the idea)
    - Put the glas lid on the pan
    - Cut the slice(s) of bread into 4 and put mustard on one side, don't be to cheap with the mustard, but don't overkill it either
    - After +/- 5 minutes add the beer and the slice(s) of bread with mustard
    - Put the lid again on the pan
    - Check every 10 to 15 minutes and add from time to time some additional beer
    - After minimum 2 hours start checking the meat (if you can cut a cube in two with a fork without using force, the meat is ready). Will probably take 2.5 to 3 hours totally.
    - Bind the saus with a little bit with of sausbinder

- Serve with French Fries (who are also a Belgian creation, "French" just means to cut in little pieces) and the beer that you used in the stoofvlees. For children I would suggest limonade or coke...but one glas of beer wouldn't hurt them if they are over 12.

Bon appetit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 5:52am

Style: SL5,MT, BJJ noob,Chow Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choice Bro - a good Hangi, is well just good....eh.

http://www.genuinemaoricuisine.com/Folders/Hangi.html

Chur.

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aussies eat vegemite. It's yeast extract or something. Delicious if you grew up with it. Disgusting otherwise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 8:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hsing i, FMA's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post

Not too long ago scotch eggs was mentioned in a thread, I asked about it and was given a description and pics of this English breakfast food.
    way to show cultural sensitivity. the English would never have thought of taking a boiled egg, covering it in sausage, then deep frying it.

some more Scottish delectables:
    the deep fried mars bar - a mars bar dipped in batter and deep fried.
    haggis - lungs, liver, pancreas and heart, mixed with fat and oatmeal, spiced, then boiled in a sheep's stomach. i rather like haggis, but there is a vegetarian version for those who cant eat the bits that fall out of an animal. i shudder to think whats in it.
    deep fried pizza - deep fried pizza

if you can hold it still long enough to dip it in batter you can buy it here hence the life expectancy of a man being 58yo in some areas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 9:39pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The thousand-year egg. And you thought deep frying was bad. Try preserving an egg in quicklime and see how that goes.

Edit: Not that horrible tasting in small amounts. Just very, very, very, very, very egg-y in flavor.
    Last edited by yli; 9/24/2011 9:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 11:51pm

Style: ex-Chunner, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Philippines:

The unofficial (I think) dish of the Philippines is the adobo, which is chicken/pork or almost anything in a sauce made up of soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, oil and onion.

Then my personal favorites:

Sisig, a really f-king delicious dish made with the snout, ears, cheeks of a pig and stuff like chicken liver and heart.

Cansi, a dish that is kind of local to the island that I lived in. It's basically beef bone with abundant marrow and some meat/cartilage in a sour soup with achuete/annatto.

Kinilaw is a dish that my dad loved to eat and loved to make. It's made up of raw fish (usually Spanish Mackerel or tuna) in vinegar and a shitload of onion, garlic, pepper and some other stuff.

"Street food" as they call it may look shitty but it's oh, so good. Most of the time, it's on a stick and it's grilled right on the street.

"Adidas"; chicken feet

Betamax; solidified pork blood

"tinae"; chicken intestine

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait....

Was that coagulated pork blood on a stick?

Man...this thread started so well...:Rage2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 1:12am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Wait....

Was that coagulated pork blood on a stick?

Man...this thread started so well...:Rage2:
    America has its own horrors, as does England. You never had black pudding or boudin noir?
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast