Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2015 11:16pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newb Intro

Didn't see a thread for this, so I hope I'm doing it right.

My name's Viktyr. I've "studied" the martial arts all my life, but I've had very little real training-- something I am hoping to eventually rectify. I'm a writer, trying to write good martial arts fantasy featuring all of the stuff this site debunks and I want to do a good job of writing real action.

I'm an Asatru-- Norse pagan-- and I've got a bad habit of injecting it into every aspect of my life. I feel a religious obligation to be an effective fighter; I carry weapons most of the time and practice regularly, but I feel that my unarmed and close-quarters combative skills are sorely underdeveloped and I'd like to do something about it. My dream is to one day open a private religious school with a well-rounded curriculum featuring physical, academic, and spiritual development.

Because my physical condition sometimes forces me to rely on a cane, I have a particular interest in FMA; I've received some free PTK lessons and I'm fascinated, but there's no teacher where I live.

That's me in a nutshell. I don't imagine I'll be posting much, except to ask questions, and I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 11:30am

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido! If you want to write about and teach martial arts you need to train under a qualified instructor. Dancing around with swords and knives and watching videos or reading books will never earn you respect from other instructors of martial arts. You've got to train, a lot. FMA is a good place to start if your interest lies on weapons and from what I've seen PTK is a solid art. Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a place. You can like PTK all day but if it's not available to you you've got to move or find something else. I heard an interesting comparison the other day in relation to distance learning. If you want to become a surgeon you've got to go to a medical school and learn, you can't learn brain surgery via distance learning. Now go find a class and train!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: lol yet again more Judo !

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    My name's Viktyr. I've "studied" the martial arts all my life, but I've had very little real training-- something I am hoping to eventually rectify.
    No Viktyr you have NOT studied martial arts all your life. You have read and thought and read and pondered about it and then watched some videos once you were old enough operate a computer.

I'm a writer, trying to write good martial arts fantasy featuring all of the stuff this site debunks and I want to do a good job of writing real action.
    Good luck on that. No one really wants to read about basic techniques crushing the souls' of people who believe in magic and quackery ... well actually ...ignore me on this point. That may make an excellent action book.

I'm an Asatru-- Norse pagan-- and I've got a bad habit of injecting it into every aspect of my life. I feel a religious obligation to be an effective fighter; I carry weapons most of the time and practice regularly, but I feel that my unarmed and close-quarters combative skills are sorely underdeveloped and I'd like to do something about it. My dream is to one day open a private religious school with a well-rounded curriculum featuring physical, academic, and spiritual development.
    Well to teach such things you must understand and master such things. Right now you are living a Pagan Fantasy walking around with weapons dreaming of opening a Educational Organization.

Speaking of which:

Who trained you with what weapon for how long and how do you and who do you "practice regularly" with currently.

Who is your High Priest and how long have been his initiate? Or depending on your Tradition which group are you currently worshiping with and are they aware of you desire to advance within the group to a High Priest status ?

What are your current Academic Accolades and what are your current country's rules regarding Private Religious Academic Institutions and requirements to teach?

These questions are not to tear you down but to give you and us an idea of where you are on your journey.

Because my physical condition sometimes forces me to rely on a cane, I have a particular interest in FMA; I've received some free PTK lessons and I'm fascinated, but there's no teacher where I live.

That's me in a nutshell. I don't imagine I'll be posting much, except to ask questions, and I'm hoping to learn a lot.
    Well good luck my friend. You have a long journey a head of you. Do not let that discourage you tho. Just realize at this point in your journey based on what I have read into your post, you really might still be in the driveway packing your luggage.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 4:19pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, have you guys been worshipping Oden while I wasn't looking? As someone whose ancestors were pretty into that stuff, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this: is it a more recent hipster resurgence type thing, or has this been going on for a while?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. We all have room for improvement in our lives.

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ, FMA, JKD, Pankration

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I think you should become familiar with the Dog Brothers if your not already.
    Looks like the guy that is nearest to you is a good 3 hour drive away but I may have missed someone.
    http://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/
    How ever they do have some great DVDs which you can use to supplement your learning it is not though a replacement for real live good weapons instruction.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Wait, have you guys been worshipping Oden while I wasn't looking? As someone whose ancestors were pretty into that stuff, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this: is it a more recent hipster resurgence type thing, or has this been going on for a while?
    http://www.asatru.org/index.php
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 5:18pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Didn't see a thread for this, so I hope I'm doing it right.
    Here's the thread for this

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 5:51pm

Style: Shoo Sheetzoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Well, that was fun. In the interest of those who hold to Asatro (I think we need a collective noun. Astries? Asses?), I won't assume that that website speaks for the entire community. Ah well, I guess it takes all kinds.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/06/2015 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadzu View Post
    Well, that was fun. In the interest of those who hold to Asatro (I think we need a collective noun. Astries? Asses?), I won't assume that that website speaks for the entire community. Ah well, I guess it takes all kinds.
    You mean that you, as a Swede, do not feel some sort of pull deep down in your Nordic genes (jeans?) for Asatru?
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast