Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 5:43pm

Style: SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting knackered out too fast.

Hey,

I've been training San Da for a little bit now, sussed out some bad habits which are being dealt with such as issues with being under-aggressive etc.

I do however have another question, why do I get so goddamned tired when sparring!

I'm no slouch when it comes to fitness, I'm in the gym a fair amount, I run or row as often as possible and can keep going for ages. But throw a few punches at me and I cannot catch my breath, I end up gasping like a mother fucker past my gum shield and eating straights and jabs just trying to breath.

As always, this may well just be me being retarded which is fine, an obvious answer means I can address this ASAP.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 5:50pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short answer- spar more.

Longer answer- there's not really such a thing as being "generally in-shape" when it comes to sport-specific activites like sparring. Running and rowing are completely different demands on your body than sparring is. How long have you been sparring for? When I first got put in, I'd been training at my current place for about 6 or 7 months and I was training 2 hours a night, four nights a week most weeks. But I could barely go 3 rounds before I needed to sit down. Last week, I went for 7 5-minute rounds without really noticing. It's all about getting acclimatized. The more you do it, the more your body will get used to it.

Also, you're probably stiff as hell, which is making you use a lot more energy than you need to. Once you learn to relax, you'll have a lot more in the tank.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 10:51pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are probably holding your breath as you move or punch, which will gas you very quickly. Have your sparring buddy pay attention to your breathing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 11:23pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relax, tension breeds exhaustion when sparring. Loosen up and you'll honestly last longer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 3:38am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are probably holding your breath and/or not breathing regularly

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 4:30am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea what they said, when you tens up (adrenalin cause of fear), you waist energy/oxygen.. either spar more, or if you want to speed up your "looseness", ask someone to just attack you (70%) for 2 whole rounds every session. you will improve your defenses, you will learn that punches even hard ones aren't that frightening if you protect the right places. and before you notice you breath better and are loose enough. You do need to tens curtain muscles when getting hit but relax others at the same time, the only way to learn is by practice! You can even lean on the ropes for half the round so you cant really escape being punched! it sucks, you get hit allot, but you will speed up your defenses and absorption ability.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 8:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Relax, tension breeds exhaustion when sparring. Loosen up and you'll honestly last longer.
    This. Also, nothing will make you more tense than sparring with people who are better than you. When you are new, everyone is. I can spar many rounds with guys who haven't been training as long as I have, but when I get in there with someone who is better than me I'll be worn out after a couple rounds because they can run me ragged.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 12:46pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you do a lot of pad work? Honestly, its the best way to get your stamina up.

Posted On:
    9/22/2011 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on anaerobic (Short explosive movements) exercises like sprints rather than aerobic (long steady pace), or perhaps I have anaerobic and aerobic mixed up, in which case do that instead.

:)

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^everything said in the above posts.

Relaxing your body more, in between exchanges, and stepping quickly but lightly on the balls of the feet, rather than lunging about. I used to die every sparring class at first. Later I just felt like I nearly died. The more I relaxed, the longer I lasted before feeling hooooorible.

Pushing punches tired me out. It was a very bad habit.

Using more jabs can help. Keep them dealing with you, more of the time, and you can dictate the pace more. I used to do that, when I thought my lungs were going to cave in (quit cigs over training woes). Pump double jabs too. Just watch your ribs (elbows fairly in, and hands straight back to the head after punches w/o dipping).

A jab doesn't have to wound. Sometimes it's just blocking their view for the moment you need to throw the cross, or whatnot. Even just to keep them moving and reacting, while you pick your committed shots. You can probe w/ the jab, and as a bonus, it's a low body-weight commitment move, so you're less likely to get thrown-on-head (if you're doing throws sparring, and not just hands/feet).

Mostly just get yourself to relax.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast