Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oops Sorry

Hey guys! im brand new to this site, and heres my 2 cense. I've been practicing Danzan Ryu Jujitsu for 12 almost 13 years now. Based on a lot of what i read, its not something that is learned in a couple classes. Yes a lot of schools dont practice roll around, but they are trying to instill the basic principles of the techniques in you. Once you have a firm grasp on the techniques, changing them to suit the situation becomes natural. The only thing i dislike about it is the fact yes once i get my hands on you, you are going down, but there is very little stand up fighting taught.

Posted On:
    2/07/2010 9:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh btw sorry for bringing a dead thread back...

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu and Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As earlier posters mentioned, Jujitsu America, Cahills Judo Academy (A Danzan Ryu school through and through), Eric Renner and most of the JA schools are the real deal. Lots of randori, sparring, some kata (rare), competion and EXCELLENT ground skills.

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 10:59pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    I think that this is just another sad example of the passing of time and the gradual + of McDojoism.

Wally Jay was a student of Okazaki and he had a competitive Judo team back in the fifties and sixties in Oakland. Bruce Lee used to put on demos at their fund raising luaus (for travel expenses).
    My original teacher was, according to him, a student of Sig Kufferath (as well as Don Buck and Duke Moore). Wally Jay taught an occasional seminar at our school in Napa. He opened a massage school and I became a certified massage therapist through the school, and Okizaki's "Long life massage" was one of the important massages. I took a few classes of Danzan Ryu and wanted to blow my brains out. It was hours of "Yawarah" and ending with a few throws. I had no idea whether they sparred or not, but they never did while I was there, unlike my original Karate school in which we sparred in a weird, irregular basis, sometimes daily and sometimes not for weeks.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 4:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Danzan-ryu is a legit style, and the school seems OK too. The whole "what if a guy throws a combo" thing isn't really an issue in street self defense, since the guy is hardly going to be a trained boxer/MT-er. It wouldn't seem likely because the technical strikers I've met are hardly guys who will just attack someone on the street. The guy teaches Judo throws, which is great for you. He is well versed in the application of techniques from various angles. Great for anyone learning from him.
    It's a good school for learning Jujutsu. Mind you, if you're that intersted in Judo, do some more checking around. If this is the best thing you find, however, it would be a good place to train at. Think of it as a prep school for Judo, since DZR and judo are closely related.

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ-JJJ-MT-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am of the opinion that Danzan-Ryu, while not practical or terribly effective to train exclusively, does offer ideas for those already versed in BJJ. My experience is limited, but I tried out a class coming in with a BJJ/MMA style training background, and I felt like it opened my mind to different angles/positions to set BJJ techniques up with.

It seems like a useful art for aspiring MMA practitioners who might want to look to try and incorporate corner advantages, or perhaps useful for someone with an eclectic mindset, who can try and synthesize the information into a more practical whole.

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm training in DZR, but we spend about 40-50% of the time training in judo/doing judo rules sparring. If I'm travelling with work, I'll generally see if I can find a local MMA/BJJ gym where I can roll with the guys, with varying degrees of success.

Our instructor generally explains kata as teaching certain holds/ lock/ chokes/ but that it generally doesn't happen in the same sequence as you have trained it.

I occasionally work out with guys who have trained exclusively in kata, and my experience is that they generally can't do the techniques under stress/ against a resisting opponent (I've sometimes used techniques learned as only as kata in an impromptu manner when sparring, but generally you need to work at it.)

One thing that did come up over the last few weeks is there is a movement in the AJJF to add more judo training/randori across the organization. I think that can only be a good thing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 9:14am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!