Octopussy!

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    I usually just cum in their hair, but you can stick with your way.

Speaking of lipids, You know cholesterol? you know how its "bad for you"? Pssssst--Its more complicated than that. It's necessary for membrane repair and growth. Children without it (through genetic deficit) grow slowly and deformed. Its a large component of cell membranes, which creates sections of uniformity called lipid rafts. These guys are necessary to act as hydrophobic regions where membrane proteins like receptors can be sandwiched in. The reason this works is the usual hydrophillic out/hydrophobic inside set up of cytoplasmic proteins is reversed. So you get a matching of these respective zones, like water mixes with water, oil with oil.
    Cholesterol? Man, what the **** is wrong with you? How does cholesterol get into this discussion that started with the premise of making antibiotics from **** you can find in ordinary places after the inevitable zombie attack?

Cholesterol, ************? Wait, are you in high school and just started AP biology or something? Because what you're discussing is strictly remedial ****. Cholesterol?

More zombie antibiotics please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 10:30pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, cholesterol, man...changes in membrane fluidity affect membrane transport and the activities of membrane proteins. Cholesterol intercalates between the long strands of the membrane lipds and disrupts their kind of ordered packing. This has the effect of increasing the membrane's fluidity at low temperatures decreases it at high temps. This maintains fluidity around a realistic range of temperatures in which a cell might usually find itself. Case in point: goldfish. When goldfish experience a drop in temp, there is an accompanied rise in fatty acids in brain and intestinal membranes.

Quite a few more than these went to learn about this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    More zombie antibiotics please.
    Ok, I can do 'zombie antibiotics'. But, a question for you: considering zombies, are we talking a viral vector? gram neg/pos/neither/acid fast/intracellular/black magic? In short what kind of zombies are we talking about?
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 7:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    Well, cholesterol, man...changes in membrane fluidity affect membrane transport and the activities of membrane proteins. Cholesterol intercalates between the long strands of the membrane lipds and disrupts their kind of ordered packing. This has the effect of increasing the membrane's fluidity at low temperatures decreases it at high temps. This maintains fluidity around a realistic range of temperatures in which a cell might usually find itself. Case in point: goldfish. When goldfish experience a drop in temp, there is an accompanied rise in fatty acids in brain and intestinal membranes.
    Yes, but I fucking know this already. Everybody fucking knows this.

Also, **** goldfish. **** ornamental aquatic creatures, if I can't eat it, it shouldn't be swimming in a tank or bowl or whatever.

Ok, I can do 'zombie antibiotics'. But, a question for you: considering zombies, are we talking a viral vector? gram neg/pos/neither/acid fast/intracellular/black magic? In short what kind of zombies are we talking about?
    Good fucking inquiry. Zombies, I'm thinking viral. Definitely viral for the primary zombifying virus, but remember that putrid flesh will become secondarily infected with **** like Clostridium of various variations and all other kinds of nasty **** whether gram positive or gram negative. So you will have more bacteria going around and you will have to eat food that might be suspect. So you need to have powerful antibiotics at the ready.
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, viral is probably one of the more realistic vectors, even if it opens a major can of worms considering pathology,etc. Viruses are tissue specific with regards to their binding and activity, so some kind of brain eating encephalopathy might explain away all the issues of energy production and the need for sustenance. (ah..hollywood)

Speaking of bacteria, you have to wonder what an effect a large population of zombies would have on antibiotic resistance in things like MRSA or XDRT. I think that this would lead to a large revertant population of these bacteria as the selective pressure for maintaining those plasmids would effectively disappear, especially since the primary reservoir, hospitals, would be largely no go areas and zombie populations would be feeding grounds for everything on god's green earth.

Another issue of discussion, is what kind of bacteria would make up the zombie native microflora? If were talking primary encephalopathy with a largely living body with low-level mental function, then immune response would still apply and we could assume that the same pathogens would attack zombies as well. You'd have to wonder then why a Streptococcus pyogenes or Staphylococcus wouldn't chew the hell out of ones with all of those open wounds? Considering necrotizing fascitis supposedly spreads as fast a 3cm/hr by conservative estimate, I would think bacteria would largely clean up the mess for us in a severe long term outbreak of 'zombirus'. (probably considerably more quickly than depicted in the movies)

In the case of drug resistance and which drug to chose, we might be lucky enough to be use older lines of drugs, if I'm correct about the reversion. In any case our pathogens would be largely the same, so a similar strategy of suiting drugs against a bacterial weakness (stop protein synthesis with tetracyclines, mess up cell wall synthesis with penicillins or cephalosporins, block DNA synth with quinolones, etc...) would still be the way to go.

With all of the suspect food around, maybe people in those times would take to drinking probiotics to outcompete all of those GI infections? I had an argument with some premed dude about the popularity of these drinks in Japan and the actual usefulness of them. My argument was that the idea was the same as the current theory behind the protective nature of our own gut flora. A larger population of lactic acid bacteria could starve out some campylobacter no problem.

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 9:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking about viral vectors today, about what kind of viral vector would be the best. I was originally operating under the idea that a zombie virus would have to be large to account for all of the changes an infected host would exhibit. (larger payload would account for a larger set of proteins for mischief, etc.)

However, this might not even be the case as long as the virus itself was very specific in the cells it chooses to infect it could still be small. For example HIV, which infects only a single class of immune system cells. In this case, one could make up an explanation that the virus attacks only certain neurons of the brain involved with higher brain functions and memory leaving the the body largely functional. We could even stretch this penny a little farther and have it incorporate brain damage in such a way to account for aggressiveness and insatiable hunger.

We could even try to make Lincoln scream if we give it some similarity to viruses like VZV, which go latent in the trigeminal nerve. Make up some story about a mutant strain of chickenpox, maybe a science produced new chickenpox. That way Hollywood could get its rocks off making another one of those 'wag your finger at science' movies. People never get tired of those, but love to reap the benefits of said advances.

Its not a perfect explanation, but it certainly passes for a quick 'hollywood' scrutiny.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 9:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shouldn't have fallen asleep on this thread.

****, you could call it the ZOMBIE Z-type Oligoneuropathic Major Brain Infective Encephalopathy Virus. Or the Zombie virus. It is called Z-type because it was first discovered in Zambia, and should be distinguised from the BOMBIE, which is B-type because it was discovered in Brazil. Of course BOMBIE was eradicated due to it's poor ability to bind to healthy human host cells.

One time I was giving a presentation on HTLV 1 Associated Myelopathy which motherfuckers call HAM for obvious reasons. So because I'm a fucking joker I said, "one should also be concerned about BACON - Bilateral Angiopathic Chronic Obstructive Neuropathy" (which of course doesn't fucking exist), and motherfuckers didn't even call me a fucking idiot. So I called them idiots for falling asleep in my goddamn presentation.

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, most def: to succeed in science you have to come up with an amusing acronym for your discoveries.

"I would love to cure that cancer, but it's got this goofy mutation of the sonic hedgehog gene that messes everything up."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123