Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 5:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Resources on Old gym equipment(middle ages and before)?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I didnīt find anything in the search function.

I was wondering if anyone could please indicate to me a resource on training equipment for western martial arts, Specifically prior to the 15th Century.

Resources on the functioning of an academyīs (or itīs equivalent) would also be useful.

Visual resources(Drawings, photographs of reconstructions, etc...) would be especially appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't recall if it's pre-15th century or not, but there's at least one famous (in certain circles) painting of a group of swordsmen and wrestlers training:

If you're interested in historical training in general, this is a good start:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 8:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you.

Can you tell me the name of the picture?

Also, the guy in the upper left, is there a reason why he is doing headstands, on a table(ainstead of doing it on the ground) do you know if a table was considered a common implement for training?

I will try to find more on this "hans Talhoffer"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2011 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know whether that picture has a name, nor why the guy on the left is doing his headstand on a table, unless it's an early ancestor of the pommel horse concept. There are images from somewhat later periods that show various gymnastic exercises on equipment that definitely does represent a horse.

Hans Talhoffer is probably the single most famous German fight-master of the period and his treatises are widely available online.

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 11:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isometrics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess is that the table edges gives him something to hold on to. This is very similar to the picture of Sonny Liston doing neck work that you can see in a google image search for Sonny Liston Headstand but which I can't show you here since the page google links it to no longer has the image.